Can we talk about how stressful applying to a PhD program is?

anthrosoul

Yeah, it's a terrible phase of life. It's temporarily relieving sending off the applications, but then terrible again as you check day by day to see if you got anything. 

When I was applying to programs, a lot of people at the school which I was attending considered me fairly intelligent. This became rather frustrating when I was slogging through applications and waiting for responses from schools. When I expressed my concerns to some of my fellow students, they often wrote off my concerns by saying "oh, you're smart, you shouldn't be worrying about it." And while I appreciate their willingness to help, it felt minimalizing of my situation and made it a rather difficult and lonely time. So, I understand some of what you are going through. It's a uniquely stressful situation and phase of life in which very few, if any, people around you are also going through. 

Just try not to sweat every detail. You're going to make mistakes and have weak points on your applications, no matter how much work you do now or how many times you obsessively go over your work. But, guess what? You may make mistakes that you have no idea you made until much later, that were much bigger ones than the ones over which you may be obssessing. 

Also, try not to check these boards too much or check other people's academic credentials too often. That will drive you bonkers. I would look up people's academic credentials on these boards or academia.edu and start freaking out, to where I just had to force myself to stop. 

I agree. 

Let me give you a little piece of advice that I found useful. Grad school implies learning something, right? (except for those present in every cohort that just go to grad school to show how much they know). Anyway, take everything as a learning experience. This stress will not be the last one (sorry): you'll be applying for grants soon enough, prepping for comps, defending your prospectus... so take this instance as (already) a part of your postgraduate learning path. 

This doesn't make it any less stressful, but it may help you put in perspective. 

PS: Good luck with the applications!

7 hours ago, striped said:

Hi! I know exactly how you feel. What are you having the most problems with?

I feel like there is a lot that I just don't know in regards to the process. 

I feel like I'm not good enough or smart enough or "ready" yet. 

How are you doing? Less panicked than me I hope.

1 hour ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Yeah, it's a terrible phase of life. It's temporarily relieving sending off the applications, but then terrible again as you check day by day to see if you got anything. 

When I was applying to programs, a lot of people at the school which I was attending considered me fairly intelligent. This became rather frustrating when I was slogging through applications and waiting for responses from schools. When I expressed my concerns to some of my fellow students, they often wrote off my concerns by saying "oh, you're smart, you shouldn't be worrying about it." And while I appreciate their willingness to help, it felt minimalizing of my situation and made it a rather difficult and lonely time. So, I understand some of what you are going through. It's a uniquely stressful situation and phase of life in which very few, if any, people around you are also going through. 

Just try not to sweat every detail. You're going to make mistakes and have weak points on your applications, no matter how much work you do now or how many times you obsessively go over your work. But, guess what? You may make mistakes that you have no idea you made until much later, that were much bigger ones than the ones over which you may be obssessing. 

Also, try not to check these boards too much or check other people's academic credentials too often. That will drive you bonkers. I would look up people's academic credentials on these boards or academia.edu and start freaking out, to where I just had to force myself to stop. 

I'm sorry you were so isolated by your peers during your application process :( 

I don't really have anyone to actually talk to about this because the "friends" I did have weren't really very encouraging of it or they just didn't really seem to care, but that is a totally different discussion haha. I guess it's almost the opposite response that you got. For me it's more of an "oh, you really think you're good enough for grad school?" 

Too late! I've seen the higher GPAs, the people who have published/presented and have waaaay moooore research experience than me. Or people who seem to be really close to faculty and thus probably have the most amazing LOR. 

I keep trying to talk myself out of it but then I think about my ideas for my project and I want it.

I'm neurotic enough as it is so this is just going to drive me insane. 

47 minutes ago, AP said:

I agree. 

Let me give you a little piece of advice that I found useful. Grad school implies learning something, right? (except for those present in every cohort that just go to grad school to show how much they know). Anyway, take everything as a learning experience. This stress will not be the last one (sorry): you'll be applying for grants soon enough, prepping for comps, defending your prospectus... so take this instance as (already) a part of your postgraduate learning path. 

This doesn't make it any less stressful, but it may help you put in perspective. 

PS: Good luck with the applications!

Thanks for the luck stranger! 

Ive been through the process (law school apps and MS apps) and am currently 1/2 way through an MS program. Going through the process was stressful and I did check for status updates often :P. So, I am not very far removed from the process and have been gearing up for another application cycle. I went to a conference in the spring to meet some POIs and one TT prof gave me some interesting advice. He said, "Remember, all you do is lick the stamp," meaning that I really have no control over the process. I protested that I can write my SOP/writing sample!" He maintained that the amount of chaos, and other variables beyond my control, going on during the admission process have far more impact on the outcome than anything I can do.

I would hope that this time around there is less stress, less checking for updates, but I am doubtful. At the end of the day, all I can do is put forth my best effort and let the chips fall where they may. If I know I have done all I can, what else is there? I would only suggest that as the weeks slog on without any notification, resist the temptation to reach out to schools for updates unless communication is warranted.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but rest assured you are not alone and this is a great place to get feedback.

Good luck,

QM

@anthrosoul Man, I tooooootally get where you're coming from. That's what I was feeling last year, my first application cycle- and I still feel like that to this day, even though I feel I know a lot more about the process than I previously did. I came on these forums and everyone seemed to have everything lined up- their exact projects, their POI (a POI who wanted to work them, too, to boot!), what they wanted to do after grad school- and here I was twiddling my thumbs with a barely-formulated project. 

Like some people have mentioned already, I too didn't have any friends to turn to who were going through the application process. My then-boyfriend was applying to law schools and it was so easy, comparatively- all he had to do was study for the LSAT and get an amazing score, write a decent personal statement about why he wanted to be a lawyer, and bam, he got into all these schools (he did score a 173 which was 98th percentile for that year, so it wasn't easy, but it still wasn't as stressful as coming up with an entire project!). I was really alone and fumbling to seem like I had my stuff together. 

I would recommend seeking out a professor you were somewhat connected to in undergrad- it doesn't have to be someone who you're even getting a recc from (but that is ideal), just someone who obviously has succeeded in academia enough to become a lecturer/professor. They will know the process pretty well and can help you find a place to begin. I reached out to a professor who really pushed me and she is the reason my last application was even somewhat legitimate. She helped me go through countless drafts for my SoP, and even by the time I actually applied, I feel my SoP could have been much better.

1. Find a professor/lecturer in anthropology- ask them if they would be willing to answer a few questions about the application process. It's totally okay to admit "I'm completely lost and don't know where to start." 

2. Sit down at a computer and ask yourself: "What do I want to study? How will I study it? Where will I study it? Why is it important to study?" At first it helped me to answer these basic questions in very basic terms- I had one or two sentences for each question. Once you have a basic understanding of what your project, it makes it easier to begin your SoP without starting out convoluted.

3. Once you have a working draft with some substance, I would begin going to different school's websites and looking first at their faculty- usually there are blurbs about their area of interest, and sometimes they have a whole bio page about the work they've carried out. If you don't know what schools to even look at, just look some up based on name/prestige- it's at least somewhere to start. After you've looked at faculty, look at the "current grad students" page- it helps you get an understanding of what kind of projects are being admitted. Some schools have a theme- there might be a big concentration of students doing medical anth, for example, and if that's not in line with your interests, you might get a sense that you won't receive as much support there, from faculty or current students.

4. Don't be discouraged if you find that professors/current students who don't align exactly with your research interests- regions are going to vary a lot, but the focus might be the same. 

5. Reach out to professors and grad students over email. Their contact information is available on the program's website. I take one school at a time- if you're considering a program to be a good fit, you should have at least 2-3 professors who could support your work. Reach out to them and ask basic questions- what kind of research is the department at (insert school here) focusing on? (sometimes programs actually list current research projects/focuses). If they are someone you would want to potentially be your POI, ask them if they plan taking on new students for the next year. Some professors go on sabbatical, and it would be pretty useless to say you would want them to work with you in your SoP of they won't even be there. 

Most of the professors/students won't email back. But some will, and they will offer a lot of great information. Ask questions that are specific to that school/program. Remember that it's about getting into a specific program because it's a good fit, and not just because you want to be in any grad school. I applied to some schools last application cycle that I really shouldn't have- my biggest mistake was wanting to go to a particular school and wasn't looking so much at the work being done there.

I've been really despondent about the application cycle lately, and confessed my insecurities to the professor who helped me last year. She tells me over and over again that it wasn't that I wasn't "good enough" in terms of GPA (very average), undergrad institution (state school), or lack of research/publishing (virtually none); she said it was about my project. It could be an amazing project but the school you applied to just isn't the right home for it- that's why it's crucial to do as much research as you can about the research going on at different programs. Once you have found the perfect fit, you can tailor your SoP to that specific school. It's still not a guarantee, but it certainly helps. 

Sorry for the long post! I just remember how I felt last year, and still feel to some extent this year. let me know if you have any other questions!

This will pass and you will find something else about which to be stressed. Such is life. Enjoy every moment, for one day you will wish it were today. 

11 hours ago, striped said:

@anthrosoul Man, I tooooootally get where you're coming from. That's what I was feeling last year, my first application cycle- and I still feel like that to this day, even though I feel I know a lot more about the process than I previously did. I came on these forums and everyone seemed to have everything lined up- their exact projects, their POI (a POI who wanted to work them, too, to boot!), what they wanted to do after grad school- and here I was twiddling my thumbs with a barely-formulated project. 

Like some people have mentioned already, I too didn't have any friends to turn to who were going through the application process. My then-boyfriend was applying to law schools and it was so easy, comparatively- all he had to do was study for the LSAT and get an amazing score, write a decent personal statement about why he wanted to be a lawyer, and bam, he got into all these schools (he did score a 173 which was 98th percentile for that year, so it wasn't easy, but it still wasn't as stressful as coming up with an entire project!). I was really alone and fumbling to seem like I had my stuff together. 

I would recommend seeking out a professor you were somewhat connected to in undergrad- it doesn't have to be someone who you're even getting a recc from (but that is ideal), just someone who obviously has succeeded in academia enough to become a lecturer/professor. They will know the process pretty well and can help you find a place to begin. I reached out to a professor who really pushed me and she is the reason my last application was even somewhat legitimate. She helped me go through countless drafts for my SoP, and even by the time I actually applied, I feel my SoP could have been much better.

1. Find a professor/lecturer in anthropology- ask them if they would be willing to answer a few questions about the application process. It's totally okay to admit "I'm completely lost and don't know where to start." 

2. Sit down at a computer and ask yourself: "What do I want to study? How will I study it? Where will I study it? Why is it important to study?" At first it helped me to answer these basic questions in very basic terms- I had one or two sentences for each question. Once you have a basic understanding of what your project, it makes it easier to begin your SoP without starting out convoluted.

3. Once you have a working draft with some substance, I would begin going to different school's websites and looking first at their faculty- usually there are blurbs about their area of interest, and sometimes they have a whole bio page about the work they've carried out. If you don't know what schools to even look at, just look some up based on name/prestige- it's at least somewhere to start. After you've looked at faculty, look at the "current grad students" page- it helps you get an understanding of what kind of projects are being admitted. Some schools have a theme- there might be a big concentration of students doing medical anth, for example, and if that's not in line with your interests, you might get a sense that you won't receive as much support there, from faculty or current students.

4. Don't be discouraged if you find that professors/current students who don't align exactly with your research interests- regions are going to vary a lot, but the focus might be the same. 

5. Reach out to professors and grad students over email. Their contact information is available on the program's website. I take one school at a time- if you're considering a program to be a good fit, you should have at least 2-3 professors who could support your work. Reach out to them and ask basic questions- what kind of research is the department at (insert school here) focusing on? (sometimes programs actually list current research projects/focuses). If they are someone you would want to potentially be your POI, ask them if they plan taking on new students for the next year. Some professors go on sabbatical, and it would be pretty useless to say you would want them to work with you in your SoP of they won't even be there. 

Most of the professors/students won't email back. But some will, and they will offer a lot of great information. Ask questions that are specific to that school/program. Remember that it's about getting into a specific program because it's a good fit, and not just because you want to be in any grad school. I applied to some schools last application cycle that I really shouldn't have- my biggest mistake was wanting to go to a particular school and wasn't looking so much at the work being done there.

I've been really despondent about the application cycle lately, and confessed my insecurities to the professor who helped me last year. She tells me over and over again that it wasn't that I wasn't "good enough" in terms of GPA (very average), undergrad institution (state school), or lack of research/publishing (virtually none); she said it was about my project. It could be an amazing project but the school you applied to just isn't the right home for it- that's why it's crucial to do as much research as you can about the research going on at different programs. Once you have found the perfect fit, you can tailor your SoP to that specific school. It's still not a guarantee, but it certainly helps. 

Sorry for the long post! I just remember how I felt last year, and still feel to some extent this year. let me know if you have any other questions!

That is a lot of great advice! Thank you! Would you mind if I PMed you for more info?