IR Programs w/Low Quant Requirements

I am planning on applying to grad school this fall for Security Studies.

I have a decent GPA(around 3.5), work expereince and internships dealing with the subject matter.  I am also putting together a strong well backed SOP..

My big achilles heel is that my quantitative record is very weak. I only took one math elective in college and did not take any subjects like econ or statistics. To remedy this issue I am looking into taking micro and macro econ in the fall at a community college should my work schedule allow for it.

I was curious what International Relations/Security programs have low demands when it comes to quant? I know a couple of programs such as Georgetown Security Studies are not quant oriented. However, I was wondering what other programs aren't demanding in this dept?

On 7/17/2016 at 7:10 PM, Kevin1990 said:

I am planning on applying to grad school this fall for Security Studies.

I have a decent GPA(around 3.5), work expereince and internships dealing with the subject matter.  I am also putting together a strong well backed SOP..

My big achilles heel is that my quantitative record is very weak. I only took one math elective in college and did not take any subjects like econ or statistics. To remedy this issue I am looking into taking micro and macro econ in the fall at a community college should my work schedule allow for it.

I was curious what International Relations/Security programs have low demands when it comes to quant? I know a couple of programs such as Georgetown Security Studies are not quant oriented. However, I was wondering what other programs aren't demanding in this dept?

On 7/17/2016 at 11:43 PM, MD guy said:

Putting in the time to get better in this dept is better than settling for programs just bc of your quant background. Much better dividends in the long run.

I second this. Additionally, it's not that the requirements for IR are that high. You can buckle down and get things done. It may be harder because some people may not have taken many Math classes in high school (and none in college), and then when they need to take any number-related classes they get nervous and stressed. I met people with History degrees that ere able to fare well in their Econ classes. So don't give up. Also, consider what kind of technical skills you will get without having skills on data analysis, policy evaluation, economics, etc. Pretty much all the other graduates could do what you do, but you could not do everything the others can.