Materials Scientist PhD Dream

KevinMack

Question

Hi. I have a question about my chances of going straight to a PhD program from undergraduate. I originally was a chemistry major with a physics minor. My freshman year I did okay and got a 3.3 without studying. During sophomore year I joined a frat and got the lowest grades of my life, around 2.5 range each semester. Ending with a 2.9ish overall. Junior year I became more involved with the frat becoming president and and squeaking out a 2.7ish cum.. terrible year. Senior year I cut back on the frat nonsense and got a 3.1ish average between semesters taking all 400 level chem and physics classes. Realizing that I really wanted to do grad school in materials science, I made my physics minor into a double major and added a math minor which added 2 years to my undergrad and I graduate 2017 in the spring. I made deans list both semesters last year and researched with the pchem professor at my university on a surface science subject . And I am in good favors with all mostly all faculty in the chemistry and physics departments including the chairs who can write good recommendation letters. With this being my last year, I'm planning on taking the chemistry and general gre's and  am confident I can score at least the 90th percentile on both. I also worked part time throughout my undergrad. So I'll be finishing a 6 year program of a double major in chemistry and physics with a math minor with a 3.0ish gpa. In addition, a year's worth of research, good recommendation letters, and work experience. I also took every undergraduate elective above 300 level available in the chemistry department except 2 classes. Also I'm an minority. I really want to enter a PhD program in materials science, what are my chances? 

3 answers to this question

I have no idea how competitive materials science is... however, your GPA is low. Most people applying to masters programs will be in the 3.5 range. 

I had a 3.05 GPA coming out of undergrad and managed to get into a funded masters program, albiet at a unranked program. However, my lowest grades were as a freshman and sophomore, and my highest as a junior and senior. 

Your road is likely to be difficult... I suggest really focusing on getting into a masters program, acing the classes there will really be your only shot at a PhD.

The other question is... why do you want a PhD? If you plan on only going into industry, it should be possible because it won't matter as much where you get your phd from. However.... if you want to go into academia, you will need to get into a top program for your best shot at becoming a professor. That will require a bit of luck. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

What program did you get your masters in? And even with stellar gre scores and recommendations? Is the cut off gpa such a real factor even with an upwards trend in grades?

On 7/19/2016 at 10:15 PM, KevinMack said:

What program did you get your masters in? And even with stellar gre scores and recommendations? Is the cut off gpa such a real factor even with an upwards trend in grades?

The GPA cutoff is a real thing, depending on schools. Most schools require the department to petition the graduate school to admit someone with a lower than their cutoff GPA. That is extra paperwork and it doesn't always work. The larger problem is that professors might not even see your application, depending on the # of applicants, as they might sort by GPA. 

I got a MS in geology, from a very small relatively unknown program. I had LOR from a research internship i did at a top 5 program in my field, and 2 other LOR from professors I did research with. I had been doing research since the 2nd semester of my freshman year. One thing that might have been a problem was that I did them in physics, however physics majors going into my field is very common. My GRE scores were 320+ (I forget the exact score, you can find it somewhere on here). 

Here is the thing. Personal Statement, LoR, GRE scores are the biggest differentiators these days.  And in reality, there are more than enough students to fill the top programs with great LoR, GRE  GPA and personal statements.  A masters thesis really can help get you ahead, but even then, there are more than enough people to fill those programs with stellar stats. You really have to get lucky.

What did you expect? You could be mediocre for most of your college education and get into the top programs without a real struggle? People who were much more consistent than you still struggle to get in.

Edited by GeoDUDE!