Reaching out to Professors before Applying

vnatch

I am applying to PhD programs during this admission cycle, and I wanted to email two or three professors (whose research I think is really interesting/whose labs I want to consider) from each school I'm applying to, but I'm having trouble formatting my emails. I'm sure they receive a ton of emails like this every year, so is it standard to just include a brief background on my academics, what I'm doing in my current lab, and then why I'm interested in their lab's research? Is there any other important information I should include?

Also, I wasn't sure about if I should attach a resume and/or cover letter to these emails. Is that standard to do, or should I send that in a separate email if they respond to me?

Part of my confusion about this is that I'm not exactly sure how the admissions work on the school's end; for example, if I email a few professors will they actually remember who I am? And will this affect the admission committee's decision to accept me or not? Also, when I go for interviews, will I get a chance to speak in person with the professors I emailed so we can talk about possible lab rotations?

Hi there,

I applied to clinical psychology PhD programs last cycle - this is slightly different from biology, as all of my programs were mentor-based (no lab rotation, I had to click with a particular person), but I think I may be able to provide some help. I had a lot of concerns about sending emails as well.

I emailed all of the advisors I was interested in. This helped me to gain some information on what type of PI that individual might be, and sometimes they would send along recent grants they had received or proposed that were not available on their website - these websites often are not very updated. I gave them a brief background on my academic experiences (tailored to each professor based on what skills I have matched their lab), mentioned why I was interested in their lab, and then asked them a question at the end to get the conversation rolling, i.e. what work is currently occurring your lab that is not available on your website?  will you be able to accept a graduate student to begin lab rotations in fall 2017? (make sure this isn't available online). 

I did not send my CV, but I know friends who did and were equally successful. I felt that a small blurb about my academic background within the email was sufficient, and they will see your CV when you send it along with your application. Remember these professors are busy and so maybe they will not even read it. When you ask professors to write you letters of rec, they will want to see your CV. 

Everyone I interviewed with remembered my email, but perhaps this was especially salient because they were actually interested in me. I am not sure if the professors I emailed who did not invite me for an interview remembered the email, but I do not think the email hurt my chances. The admissions committee is completely separate from the PI, and so whether or not you send an email will not influence their decision directly. It could influence your PI's decision, and they can then fight for you with the adcom, thereby helping you indirectly.  The email can show that you are open, motivated, comfortable talking to professors. As long as the email is friendly yet professional, it can only help. 

I do not know how biology interviews work, but I met with all of the professors I was interested in working with at interviews, as well as some of the professors they collaborated with, and then directors of the program, chairs of the department, etc. 

I hope this helps! If you want to see the initial emails i sent, send me a PM and I would be happy to send them to you.

Thanks for the reply. One other question I had: what is the proper time to send my emails out,  if I want to submit my applications in November? I could start sending them out now, but I'm worried that if I send them too early these professors won't remember me by the time applications are due.

On July 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM, vnatch said:

I am applying to PhD programs during this admission cycle, and I wanted to email two or three professors (whose research I think is really interesting/whose labs I want to consider) from each school I'm applying to, but I'm having trouble formatting my emails. I'm sure they receive a ton of emails like this every year, so is it standard to just include a brief background on my academics, what I'm doing in my current lab, and then why I'm interested in their lab's research? Is there any other important information I should include?

Also, I wasn't sure about if I should attach a resume and/or cover letter to these emails. Is that standard to do, or should I send that in a separate email if they respond to me?

Part of my confusion about this is that I'm not exactly sure how the admissions work on the school's end; for example, if I email a few professors will they actually remember who I am? And will this affect the admission committee's decision to accept me or not? Also, when I go for interviews, will I get a chance to speak in person with the professors I emailed so we can talk about possible lab rotations?

In my experience, e-mailing professors doesn't really give you an advantage at all when it comes to admission to the university. If you're a good candidate and interviewed well, you'll get in. If you insist on emailing though, I'd refrain from attaching a resume or any form of documentation, I'd just inquire about their research more.  

I would second @Bioenchiladas suggestion not to send the CV, as you indicated they get plenty of emails and keeping it short might increase the chances it gets read in its entirety. I would not mention your basic credentials, either. If they want these things they will ask you. I've had professors even ask me to send them basically a personalized statement of purpose. That being said, I will mention that while I am in an MSc program I have been reaching out to people in the humanities which has obvious differences. What would seem to remain the same, however, is that you are attempting to make a connection beyond what they will see on paper. I tried to mention their work, why I am interested, and where our interests overlap to begin to feel out the fit of the place. If they want to know more about my work they will see it in the app or they will ask. I tried to keep it very brief. You will get some responses along the lines of, "thanks for the introduction I will see your application when it comes in." But you will probably get some that are far more encouraging and even suggest who else you might reach out to. Having an advocate who likes you and sees the fit going into the admissions process would seem to have to be a good thing (unless you pick the black sheep that everyone despises! :)) One thing I would have done in hindsight is to email my least favorite program first to get a sense of how the dialogue develops. If you want to read a copy of one I sent PM me and I will share it with you--caveat emptor!

Q

I've heard so many different options about reaching out to faculty before submitting an application...

I know a former graduate student from one of the programs I applied to told me to send a short note to any PIs I was interested in working with. It was a small program and I think they only flew people in for interviews that demonstrated a real interest in coming.  That said, I know that it probably wouldn't make a difference for the other programs I interviewed at.

For the most part, I don't think it will hurt to send a short note with something along the lines of what @Quickmick said. Something saying that you are applying to the program, your current interests/ lab, and why you are interested in their lab. You can even make it less awkward by asking if they are planning on accepting graduate students next year (a legitimate question if you are trying to figure out what programs to apply for). Just keep it short enough to read in 5 min and don't include any resume / CV stats.

Good luck!

19 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

You can even make it less awkward by asking if they are planning on accepting graduate students next year (a legitimate question if you are trying to figure out what programs to apply for).

This is a great point, I have contacted people and found out they are about to retire or going on leave so will not be around the year I plan on starting! Also, if you don't ask some type of question they might not have a reason to respond, other than to be polite.

@Quickmick

My PI told me a story about how when he was applying to grad school, he applied to 10 programs and only got into 1. Lucky for him, that one program had the PI he was most interested in working with. Unfortunately... over the summer, that PI moved to a different university (but it turned out that he was not a great mentor anyway). So I was advised to always ask potential labs if they have space for new graduate students (and if they are retiring soon or planning on moving to a different institution, they would probably tell you).

Best of luck with your applications!!