Low UG GPA; 2nd bachelor's

So my unrelated UG GPA (from 5 years ago) is way less than stellar.  Since then, I have taken a few CSD courses at a university near my hometown and now that I'm working full-time I'm taking an online course.  They were all taken as a non-degree student.  It's going to take about 3 or 4 more classes with all A's to get my last 60 hours up to a 3.0 (please don't judge me, we all have our demons), which I am capable of doing because so far all my CSD courses have been A's and B's.  Anyways, I was wondering from a grad school application committee's viewpoint, or from a student with a similar experience to mine, would it be better if I got a 2nd bachelor's instead of just continuing the courses as a non-degree student? Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated.  

As a side note, please don't say anything along the lines of "don't try, you don't have a chance" yadda yadda.  Remember, this is MY journey, not yours and I have spoken to different graduate schools about which GPA they would give more consideration to.  

2 hours ago, edardi1 said:

So my unrelated UG GPA (from 5 years ago) is way less than stellar.  Since then, I have taken a few CSD courses at a university near my hometown and now that I'm working full-time I'm taking an online course.  They were all taken as a non-degree student.  It's going to take about 3 or 4 more classes with all A's to get my last 60 hours up to a 3.0 (please don't judge me, we all have our demons), which I am capable of doing because so far all my CSD courses have been A's and B's.  Anyways, I was wondering from a grad school application committee's viewpoint, or from a student with a similar experience to mine, would it be better if I got a 2nd bachelor's instead of just continuing the courses as a non-degree student? Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated.  

As a side note, please don't say anything along the lines of "don't try, you don't have a chance" yadda yadda.  Remember, this is MY journey, not yours and I have spoken to different graduate schools about which GPA they would give more consideration to.  

I think that if a second bachelor's offers more opportunity (units) that will allow you raise your overall GPA, then that is the best option.  Also I would strongly advise you to try to get all A's in your remaining classes - my undergrad program made it pretty clear that they only wanted to see maybe one or two B's in our main core CD coursework.  Of course they still accepted some with more that that, but I'm guessing the rest of their app truly overshadowed the GPA.  Do a search here and find the threads with schools that focus more on the last 60 units - they tend to be more forgiving of past performance issues.  And I'm probably stating the obvious here, but make sure the rest of your app really shines - your LORs, SOP, and related experience.  Good luck - others have done it, and if you put the time and effort in, I'm sure you can too!

1 hour ago, Jolie717 said:

I think that if a second bachelor's offers more opportunity (units) that will allow you raise your overall GPA, then that is the best option.  Also I would strongly advise you to try to get all A's in your remaining classes - my undergrad program made it pretty clear that they only wanted to see maybe one or two B's in our main core CD coursework.  Of course they still accepted some with more that that, but I'm guessing the rest of their app truly overshadowed the GPA.  Do a search here and find the threads with schools that focus more on the last 60 units - they tend to be more forgiving of past performance issues.  And I'm probably stating the obvious here, but make sure the rest of your app really shines - your LORs, SOP, and related experience.  Good luck - others have done it, and if you put the time and effort in, I'm sure you can too!

Thanks for your advice.  I've been researching extensively of which schools accept the last 60 hours and the major GPA.  I'm also about to start tutoring for the GRE; the highest score I keep getting is a 292.  I want to raise it to at least a 300 to make that look more competitive.  I've also been doing volunteer work at a therapeutic horse farm, and I currently work with children on the spectrum.  It's been a strenuous journey.  I think my biggest mistake thus far has been not listening to those that have been through the process and were giving me helpful advice.  

On 7/20/2016 at 9:42 PM, edardi1 said:

Thanks for your advice.  I've been researching extensively of which schools accept the last 60 hours and the major GPA.  I'm also about to start tutoring for the GRE; the highest score I keep getting is a 292.  I want to raise it to at least a 300 to make that look more competitive.  I've also been doing volunteer work at a therapeutic horse farm, and I currently work with children on the spectrum.  It's been a strenuous journey.  I think my biggest mistake thus far has been not listening to those that have been through the process and were giving me helpful advice.  

I would advise higher than 300 on the GRE to show them that you can handle the extra strain and academic pressure that is found in the Graduate environment.  I think 300 is more competitive for applicants with GPA's above 3.6, to be considered competitive for a GPA around 3.0 i'm thinking at least 310 or higher.  Not saying this to deter you, but a lot of students in my year got above 300 on the GRE with 3.8's and 3.9 GPA's so it is better to know ahead of time since the GRE is something you can re-take and improve!  A higher GRE score will offset a lower GPA in some committees!  You can do it!

Also I would suggest directly related therapy.  I worked 4 years at a therapeutic horsemanship program but schools were more interested in the direct internships or shadowing I had done with speech therapy students.  I would absolutely continue doing the therapy you are doing b/c it rounds out your experience just make sure you have hands on speech experience as well as it is weighed more heavily. 

Good luck on your journey!  

5 hours ago, CBG321 said:

I would advise higher than 300 on the GRE to show them that you can handle the extra strain and academic pressure that is found in the Graduate environment.  I think 300 is more competitive for applicants with GPA's above 3.6, to be considered competitive for a GPA around 3.0 i'm thinking at least 310 or higher.  Not saying this to deter you, but a lot of students in my year got above 300 on the GRE with 3.8's and 3.9 GPA's so it is better to know ahead of time since the GRE is something you can re-take and improve!  A higher GRE score will offset a lower GPA in some committees!  You can do it!

Also I would suggest directly related therapy.  I worked 4 years at a therapeutic horsemanship program but schools were more interested in the direct internships or shadowing I had done with speech therapy students.  I would absolutely continue doing the therapy you are doing b/c it rounds out your experience just make sure you have hands on speech experience as well as it is weighed more heavily. 

Good luck on your journey!  

I see what you're saying.  Thanks for your advice!