American Studies programs

@Aurél I'm waiting to hear back from UCLA's masters program for Asian American studies. My recommenders think I'll get in, but obviously, I'm super anxious :( I'm supposed to hear back before 3/15 so we'll see... I haven't gotten in anywhere else so it's frustrating, but I guess it happens... 

@bloomings I understand. You know, I applied last year to ten universities and was rejected by all of them! It happens and does not reflect your intellectual abilities. Please, let us know if you are finally admitted somewhere...and keep going!! :) 

@Aurél Finally heard back from USC and I've been waitlisted! Hoping that someone on the list will get accepted into a school that is a better fit... :P Ideally I would have been accepted, but I guess it's a big deal that I was at least on the shortlist. Hopefully UCLA's MA program gets to me this week. 

@bloomings Congrats! I am glad you've got an answer from USC. The cohort was particularly strong this year, so it's great you'd been on the shortlist! If you have any questions about the program, let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been quiet for awhile. So what's the verdict? Where are all the American Studies people going? 

I'm not sure if anyone was waitlisted at BU, but I have decided to officially decline their offer. I have also removed myself from the waitlist at UT Austin, if anyone is waiting there as well. Perhaps a couple of spots in those programs will open up for people in this thread.

16 hours ago, cypressknee said:

So what's the verdict? Where are all the American Studies people going? 

Crossing all body parts that I come off the waitlist at UNC. Probably will decline my MA offer at GWU because of cost. If UNC doesn't pan out may apply again next cycle, but April 15 needs to hurry up. D:

I'm not going to am studies either, but women's, gender and sexuality studies. I visited the program the other day and the fit really seems perfect, along with their offer. I think I'll be really happy there. 

I would love to hear about how all of your decision-making processes are going, now that april 15 is so close. What are the big things you're considering when choosing between programs? How were your visits? What has excited you about particular programs? 

Money (internal and external funding), location, proximity of relevant archives, and public humanities opportunities are the criteria for my decision-making process. Which means I think my final choice is quite clear. I still have fourteen or so days to really pull the trigger, so I'll name the school when I do :lol:

I'm choosing between PhDs in American Studies at Yale and History at Cornell and it's been a hard process (though obviously I know that I'm incredibly lucky to be making this choice).

Cornell was my top choice heading into the application process and visiting solidified that. It's truly an incredible academic fit -- the department is very strong in exactly what I want to study and there are like six professors who I'm really excited to work with and immediately clicked with when we met in person. The incoming prospective cohort is also great and I can see myself easily fitting into conversation with them in a really productive way. It's also become clear to me that I am much more invested in History as a discipline than I am in the interdisciplinary world of American Studies (though I know that's not gonna make me any friends on this forum lol).

Yale would also be a fantastic place to be, and I enjoyed my visit. Great profs, great incoming cohort, and obviously it's pretty unparalleled in terms of prestige/reputation. If Cornell wasn't such an amazing fit I would be very happy to go to Yale. Both programs have excellent funding, though Yale's is better.

My choice would be easy to make if Yale wasn't, well, Yale. It certainly feels hard to say no to it, and I'm having to think long and hard about the decision and its far reaching implications. I've been making extensive pro and con lists, writing about my feelings, talking with friends and family, and of course spending an inordinate amount of time on gradcafe.

I would love to hear how other people are going about making their decisions!

On 2/10/2017 at 4:03 AM, sweetsymphony said:

Has anyone hear back from Harvard's American Studies program?

I know someone who has been offered admission with funding, but I don't know if this person is going to accept the offer or not.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:43 AM, cypressknee said:

This thread has been quiet for awhile. So what's the verdict? Where are all the American Studies people going? 

I'm not sure if anyone was waitlisted at BU, but I have decided to officially decline their offer. I have also removed myself from the waitlist at UT Austin, if anyone is waiting there as well. Perhaps a couple of spots in those programs will open up for people in this thread.

Hi there. I've finally made my decision (It was a very hard decision to make!! So hard to turn down other offers...) 

I'm going to attend USC this Fall :) Reasons: "dream team" potential dissertation committee, very generous funding, spouse will attend UCLA extension

• 2 weeks later...

I turned down American Studies at Yale today, hope that frees up a spot for someone off the waitlist! I accepted my offer for Cornell's History PhD. Hard to turn down Yale, but Cornell is the perfect fit and I realized after visiting both that I really do want to be in a History department rather than American Studies.

Good luck to everyone still agonizing over decisions!

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of late but I have landed on Lehigh's American Studies MA program. After visiting, and along with receiving my full funding offer, it seems like it will be a good fit and a good place to get my grad school start before jumping into PhD work. Anyone else in Lehigh's AMST program? Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and future schools! Wishing all the best for you all