Fall 2010 applicant stats?

hip2btriangle

Good idea. And I am happy to add some colorful GRE scores to the mix.

Undergrad: Good liberal arts college, double major in sociology & anthropology (but a very sketchy early college career)

GPA: 3.83, 3.87 in-major

GRE: V 640 / Q 440 / AW 4.5

Research, Presentations, etc: Senior honors thesis; second author on a publication in a well-known journal; researcher and co-author for a collaborative research project between the soc department at my school and a local organization; 2.5 years as a research assistant for anthropologist working on my general topic; research assistant for an NSF proposal; TA for upper division anth class; two regional conference presentations of my thesis

Interests: Globalization, culture, theory, ethnographic methods

Schools: Berkeley, Columbia, NYU

I did not pursue relationships with professors at my schools beyond two perfunctory hellos. I've been told my LORs are stellar. What else. I know I'm shooting high. I'm very, very nervous.

Edited by pip

• 2 weeks later...

Wowzas, people are super qualified! I, like others, believe that the writing sample, SOP, and recommendations play a huge role that cannot be summarized and quantified in this space. That being said, we all want some reassurance, no?

Undergrad: Decent private non-Ivy: 3.75, writing awards, etc.

Law School: Decent private non-Ivy: 3.45, writing awards, research position

Publications: Topically relevant article in academic journal (law/gender/migration, way back in 2006)

Professional experience: 4-5 years practicing attorney in NYC at a nonprofit (sucking the life out of me!)

GRE: 750Q (84%)/780V (99%)/ 4.5 on the writing thing. (I'm convinced I went way too legal, and too political, citing articles of the UN Charter, etc. . . oh well. It would have been an A final in International Law- haha!)

Interests: gender and international trade law and policy; gender and technology law and policy

Applied to PhD: Columbia, NYU, CUNY (geographically limited, husband is in media and I refuse to move to LA :)

Lots of people have stated that they are also applying to these schools. Of the 4 NYC schools offering sociology PhDs, I didn't apply to the New School because I didn't hear great things. Right now, I expect to get into CUNY, expect to get rejected from Columbia, and hope to get into NYU. Thoughts?

Seems statistically improbable that there would be so many good GRE (80th percentile and above) scores on here. That said, it makes me proud of my fellow soc. applicants (even though it's already been pointed out that other elements of the application may be weighed more heavily).

My stats:

GRE: 750 (q) 560 (v) 4.5(aw)

GPA: 3.0 (Undergrad) 3.7 (Grad)..Both degrees in Sociology.

LoR:Three great ones from professors I know quite well, one being the department chair at my former school.

SoP: Decent, but I think I messed up by using virtually the same version on every application.

Writing Sample: Masters thesis, my opinion of it is biased.

Experience: 1.5 Years as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (6 courses), Adjunct Instructor at local colleges (3 courses so far)

Presentations: Two national conference presentations (ASR), two regional presentations (SSS), Abstracts submitted to the ASA, Easterns and Southerns for this year.

Publications: Submitted a paper to JSSR recently.

Interests: Religion, Culture, Quantitative Methodology, Theory

Schools: Texas, Emory, Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, Baylor, Notre Dame, Purdue, LSU, NCST (obviously I would prefer some of these over others)

Good luck to everyone, unless it comes down to me and you for a final spot...in which case, you're going down!

Seems statistically improbable that there would be so many good GRE (80th percentile and above) scores on here. That said, it makes me proud of my fellow soc. applicants (even though it's already been pointed out that other elements of the application may be weighed more heavily).

My stats:

GRE: 750 (q) 560 (v) 4.5(aw)

GPA: 3.0 (Undergrad) 3.7 (Grad)..Both degrees in Sociology.

LoR:Three great ones from professors I know quite well, one being the department chair at my former school.

SoP: Decent, but I think I messed up by using virtually the same version on every application.

Writing Sample: Masters thesis, my opinion of it is biased.

Experience: 1.5 Years as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (6 courses), Adjunct Instructor at local colleges (3 courses so far)

Presentations: Two national conference presentations (ASR), two regional presentations (SSS), Abstracts submitted to the ASA, Easterns and Southerns for this year.

Publications: Submitted a paper to JSSR recently.

Interests: Religion, Culture, Quantitative Methodology, Theory

Schools: Texas, Emory, Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, Baylor, Notre Dame, Purdue, LSU, NCST (obviously I would prefer some of these over others)

Good luck to everyone, unless it comes down to me and you for a final spot...in which case, you're going down!

Hi, you're profile sounds really great! I was just wondering where you did your masters? I'm sort of in the same boat and looking around for more optionssmile.gif

Edited by APHI224

• 2 weeks later...

Background: Graduated from a university in Asian, definitely not the several names (if any) occurring to your minds.

U-GPA: 3.60, BA in Economics

M-GPA: 4.00, MA in Sociology

GRE: 620 (V), 800 (Q), 3.5 (AWA)

Research: Participant observation field work for MA thesis, several RAs at the institution I graduated from.

Publications: A paper under revision, a conference paper presented in a student panel, a published journal article on a

non-English journal.

LORs: one from MA Thesis Advisor, one from an MA thesis committee member, and one from a professor in my MA program. All of the recommendation providers are not working in the states,

Research Interests: Labour, Work, Economic Sociology.

Schools Applied to: 13 schools from top5s to top50s or so.

Edited by tomi

Graduated from a college in India, not very well-known. now, working as a reporter for a leading Indian national newspaper, since June 2009. Over 80 articles published with byline.

Bachelors: in Electronic Media, with 81%

Post Graduate Diploma: in Television Journalism, from a well-known college in India, finished with a B+ and a Masters thesis on Forest Rights and the Forest Dweller.

as you can see, no sociology background.

GRE: 800 (q), 720 (v) and 4.5 (aw)

decent sop and letters of recommendation.

Interests: Social stratification, poverty, sociolgy of culture.

Applied to Cornell and University of Arizona.

Have attempted sending emails to some profs, who haven't replied. :S what are my chances?

Are you geography restricted? Your chances look pretty good to me (at least if i were on an adcom I'd find you pretty interesting) but you should have applied to more programs, in my opinion. I mean, nothing is a 'guaranteed in' so there is a chance you wont get into any of the ones you applied to, even having english as a second language and performing so well on the GREs, coming from an engineering background with stellar GPA's in undergrad and grad school -- none of that guarantees you admission though all of it helps and you are going to be an extremely competitive candidate. All I'm saying is I would have applied to more programs to increase chances of being admitted to some.

LOL also here is hoping that no one applied to my schools too though i know thats not going to happen (200+) applicants

so this is why i didn't get into UCLA huh.....lol, not that i thought i had a chance but you never know, plus i had a LOR from a UCLA professor

630(q) 500(v) 4.0(AW)

3.3 MA GPA

waiting to hear from FSU and USF (anthro)....accepted at UCF

I initially liked this site but i think i'm getting worked up more by being consumed with everyone's stats compared to mine...ah pressure....

so this is why i didn't get into UCLA huh.....lol, not that i thought i had a chance but you never know, plus i had a LOR from a UCLA professor

630(q) 500(v) 4.0(AW)

3.3 MA GPA

waiting to hear from FSU and USF (anthro)....accepted at UCF

I initially liked this site but i think i'm getting worked up more by being consumed with everyone's stats compared to mine...ah pressure....

Hey, at least you have one acceptance! I have nothing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been lurking around trying to gauge my chances at getting in anywhere and I'm feeling more and more disheartened. I'll post my stats on here and let people give me their honest reactions. I'm currently a senior and finishing up my undergraduate.

UGPA overall 3.13 (from a small, moderately prestigious private liberal arts school)

In major GPA 3.37

GRE: 570V 630Q 3.5AW

I am conducting a research project at school and sent the schools a copy of my proposal (it has to do with crime perceptions)

I have very good relationships with my professors and I have 3 that have given me glowing LOR (not that I've read them but they told me)

I know my AW score is really low, I don't know what happened I guess they just didn't like my writing but I know my writing is generally strong and I've submitted several writing samples. My school is known for grade deflation and they do send a letter with all transcripts explaining that but I'm just worried that my GPA is too low to even get me considered. As a result I've applied to 10 places and am planning on applying to several more because I really need to be in school this coming fall.

I've applied to UMD, UVA, American, GW, BU, Brandeis, Penn State, UNC Charlotte & Wilmington and UDel

Any suggestions? Thank you

Im doing a masters of sociology at UNCW, definately keep me posted on your acceptance status. Its a great program.