Course suggestions

klippe

Hello all,

I am an M.S. student studying structural geology and deformation at the University of Nebraska starting in the fall. I am looking for some opinions on course scheduling. I have room for an additional class this semester, but I cannot decide which would be most useful for my future. Here are the options I am considering:

Linear Algebra

Differential Equations

Introduction to Remote Sensing

Random Grad Level Statistics Course

Random Programming Course

Fossil Fuel Geology and Exploration

A little background about me -- I am interested in working in the oil and gas industry, however I am not sure how feasible that is with the downturn in oil prices. I want to display a diverse skill set to future employers. I have a decent amount of experience with GIS. I have taken math through Calculus III. Apart from a tiny bit of MATLAB, I have virtually no programming background. I doubt Fossil Fuel Geology would be much use to me unless I get a conventional geology job, but it's probably the course I am most interested in along with Linear Algebra. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in possibly getting into oil, despite the downturn... Having the fossil fuel geology class will at least boost your knowledge. And if its the class you are most interested in anyways... I would go with that one.

I agree with @sjoh197. That class seems to be the one you are really interested in. If not that class, I would choose remote sensing. You will most likely be exposed to equipment and its really fun stuff. I would stay away from Differential Equations, but thats because it looked awful haha. Bf took it and his assignments scared me. :-P (I graduated with a bachelors in geology)

It depends on what you want to do.

I think taking the programming is a good idea. How are you going to analyze all that data without python/matlab scripts ? Taking at least 1 formal programming class will give you much stronger footing for the maybe more complex scripts you might have to write in the future. Though, if you want to go into industry, unless you are a very good programmer, I'm not sure how much "a little programming" will do for you in terms of job prospects.

S&T students at my uni tend to be very technical. So all of them have taken linear/differential equations, and upper division statistics.  However, these are all PhD students (we have few S&T master students). That being said, I think just taking Linear is a bit of a mistake. Linear is a core mathematics course that gives you the tools to do much more advanced mathematics: such as Analysis and Differential Equations (and Partial). I'm a bit surprised that Linear is not prereq for that Diff EQ course. Sometimes linear is even a pre req for Calc 3.  But with out taking those other courses, I feel it will be too abstract for you to really help you in your career, or even research. Unless you plan on going onto a PhD, I think taking the math courses is a non-starter. This is of course unless you major advisor tells you to take these courses. 

Something else you might ask is maybe that grad level stat course teaches R or Matlab. For example, at my MS program, our earth science stats class was done entirely in matlab, so people who took that course became decent matlab users. 

If your goal is going into industry, I think Intro to Remote Sensing makes the most sense. You will learn about all the measurements Earth Scientists take, from seismology to spectroscopy: Remote Sensing is O&G's bread and butter. The fossil fuel class seems good too. 

that's just my 2 cents. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

I have decided on Fossil Fuel Geology, primarily because it is only offered every other year. The other courses are either offered every semester or annually. My plan is to take Remote Sensing next fall and hopefully fit in a couple of programming/stats courses along the way.  I would like to take Linear Algebra as well, but like was mentioned above, I am not sure how much that offers by itself. Thanks, again.

Edited by klippe