Movie recommendations

mastermind1886

So, since we have a book thread going, why not a movie thread? (apologies if this is a repeat; couldn't find one previously).

Some recommendations from the recently seen...

Sherlock Holmes, for those who like action sequences, Robert Downey Jr., and the steampunk aesthetic (it is really nice to look at).

Once, for those who love music, romance, and indie films. This is one of my favorites, and the soundtrack makes it easy to watch over and over!

Star Wars, great for escape. And if you do the whole trilogy, lots of time spent in a fantasy world!

Bonnie and Clyde, for those who love gore, violence, and movies from the 1960s.

Stand By Me, a great coming of age film with stellar performances from a pretty young cast. It's also got a lot of humor in it (and a very young Kiefer Sutherland and John Cusack).

What have you all seen lately and would recommend?

AVATAR - for escaping the grim reality of application waiting:). Gorgeous, gorgeous flick

Inglorious Basterds - Tarantino. Enough said

Julie & Julia - a very cute (girls only!) flick that might actually inspire you to cook or bake something

From TV Shows:

THE WIRE - you will forget all about the grad school as you get immersed into the storyline.

The Big Bang Theory - for all of us hopeless nerds:)

Edited by NeuroNerd86

AVATAR - for escaping the grim reality of application waiting:). Gorgeous, gorgeous flick

Inglorious Basterds - Tarantino. Enough said

Julie & Julia - a very cute (girls only!) flick that might actually inspire you to cook or bake something

From TV Shows:

THE WIRE - you will forget all about the grad school as you get immersed into the storyline.

The Big Bang Theory - for all of us hopeless nerds:)

I second The Big Bang Theory. There is an episode in about an hour and thirty minutes.

Also, District 9 is really really good. It's not at all a means of escaping reality, but very thought provoking, I thought.

Taken--Liam Neeson will take your mind off applications as he kills his way to rescuing his daughter. Would've been more accurately titled "Liam Neeson Kills (nearly) Everyone".

Kung Fu Hustle

'Rambo' series (it's fun to watch it go from justifiable to kill-tacular)

Firefly (if you haven't seen this already, you can get a used copy of the entire series for ~$20. TOTALLY worth it.)

Zombieland

Better off Ted is a pretty cute show that you can stream off Hulu.com in North America

I'm also watching a few random movies, such as Body of Lies and re-watching the Mist.

I watched Inglourious Basterds again a few days ago, such a good movie.

I love The Big Bang Theory. My brother got me season 1 on DVD for Christmas.

Other favorites:

Movies- The Polar Express, X-Men (and the two sequels), El Crimen Ferpecto, Bolt, Aristocats, Original Kings of Comedy, any Chris Rock special

TV- How I Met Your Mother, Deadliest Catch, Top Chef, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, CSI: Miami, Hank, Psych, Monk

RocknRolla - one of the best and most consuming movies I've seen in a long time if you like Ritchie(-esque) movies.

District 9 - although as someone else said all too realistic, this movie nearly put me in tears.

for TV: True Blood/Tudors one's trash, and the other is largely incorrect historically speaking but quite entertaining and distracting! Oh, and Bones!

On a side note... I'm surprised so many people liked Inglorious Basterds (I found it borderline offensive - although with Tarantino what isn't) and as a one time Tarantino fan I thought it was one of his weaker movies. What did you guys like so much about it?

If I'm allowed to take things back in time for a bit, I'd suggest you try two Hitchcock films: North by Northwest, which is one of my favourites, and Vertigo, which I'm about to use to dull the pain of my first rejection! I'd also suggest Goya's Ghosts, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, The Counterfeiters, and, of course, the final final cut of Blade Runner. *sigh*.

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if I didn't have such wonderful taste. :)

Good luck everyone.

I haven't started watching these yet, but here's my 2 cents:

Movie:

Sherlock Holmes

Sunny with a chance of meatballs (I'm a big fan of disney/pixar animes)

Twilight (heard it's only so-so)

Knowing

Alvin and Chipmunks

TV:

House M.D. (ugh no new episodes right now)

Just to pass some time!

• 1 month later...

Movies:

An Education -- great story about a girl who comes of age in England in the 1960's.

Precious -- awesome film about an illiterate girl growing up in Harlem in the 80's who is physically and sexually abused by her parents.

TV Shows:

Bones (just awesome) -- A forensic anthropologist who solves murders for the FBI.

Flashpoint -- A Canadian drama about a First Response Unit for the police. It's mostly about hostage situations. For the guy within us all, :D !

Movies:

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner- interracial dating in the early 1960's + Sidney Poitier at his hottest!

The Mission- Jesuits in 18th c South America + DeNiro

The Name of the Rose- Sean Connery. ... enough said

Spirited Away- my favorite Miyazaki

Days of Glory (french title: Indigenes)- how France screwed over its colonies in WWII

TV:

Rome. RomeRomeRomeRome Seriously. Give it a shot.

For TV shows:

The Wire: Such a GREAT tv series

Oz: If you liked The Wire, you'll probably like Oz.

The United States of Tara: A Showtime series with Toni Collete playing a mom with Dissociative Identity Disorder

Lost: I haven't seen it yet, but I plan on watching past episodes on Hulu so that I can catch up to the final season. Hulu has season 1-5!

For all you folks bound for Duke or UNC, the Carolina Theatre shows revival films.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a double feature of The Dark Crystal and Army of Darkness. I forgot how fun they both were, but seeing the latter has inspired a Bruce Campbell festival in my house.

Evil Dead

Evil Dead II

Army of Darkness

Hudsucke Proxy

Escape from L.A.

McHale's Navy

The Majestic

Bubba Ho-tep

Spider Man

Spider Man 2

Spider Man 3

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

And then, if my Bruce Campbell needs still aren't fully met, I can have a "Burn Notice" marathon. WIN!

TV

I haven't been watching anything new on the tube lately but I'm a huge fan of Bryan Fuller

Dead Like Me-just bought the series off of amazon--waiting to start it all over again

Pushing Daisies- been re-watching this series for awhile now, I love how clever and avantgarde the world is (Lee Pace is just adorable in this show, Chi McBride is classic, Kristin Chenoweth equally adorable and Anna Friel ....I really don't understand how this show got canceled with a cast like this)

Fraggle Rock- picked up 2 dvds from target for $5 each, Jim Henson is the epitome of my childhood

Movies

Currently waiting for the new Alice in Wonderland to come out but I did see

Sherlock Holmes, which I enjoyed- although I thought it could have been much wittier

The Fall - another sort of adorable avantegardist flick I picked up from amazon

Amelie- ditto above (both are good for taking a mental vacation)

The Ugly Truth- one of my girlfriends brought me to her house specifically to watch it, not a favorite but good for a laugh, and reliving any awkward moments from the past

I'm waiting for Leverage to begin airing again on January 13th. Until then, I'm watching Pushing Daisies and Black Books.

@Serric: LOVE Kung Fu Hustle and Firefly both. Good choices.

I LOVE Black Books. I haven't met anyone else who's even heard of it. Have you seen Spaced?

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!!

So many posts, and yet only one person mentioned the GREATEST tv show in history: MAD MEN! WHAT!!!

I literally just received my second rejection (in two days) the letter is right beside me on the floor...and as you can imagine, I was quite sad...but after seeing this post, and its lack of my favorite series, I was like: 'What! I gotta rectify this.' Needless to say, I feel fired up now (perhaps the depression/sadness will overwhelm me later, and this is just my mind trying to protect me from the pain of rejection in the meantime :)

--

Movies: Inglorious Basterds, Coraline, Running Scared, The Departed, Dirty Scoundrels, Casablanca, Twilight (and no I'm not gay, I just feel watching a crappy vampire movie can help you forget grad applications :) , Zombieland (Epic), Juno, Hot Fuzz

And since I am a Nigerian, I will add this: Domitila (movie), Things fall apart (series, very old), Dbanj's show (I forget the name, I think its called Koko-love or something; anyway, think Flavor of Love in Nigeria....except that its more hiliarious)

Series: MAD MEN, Lives and Times of Tim (Awesome), Leverage, Chuck, 24, White Collar, Sons of Anarchy, Hung, Sparticus (and nothing else lol)

• 9 months later...

bringing this thread up so that all of us who are waiting to hear from schools can spend some quality time over thanksgiving break and upcoming winter/christmas break. i haven't been able to watch very many movies this year, so i am throwing in some old remarkables. and you might find my taste of movies little off, but check these out if you have couple of hours to spare... you'll come back to the thread to +1 my post :)

red (2008) - this is a true gem

valhalla rising (2009) - incredibly boring if you don't have the right perspective, but i guarantee, each and every scene is worthy of being blown up and made a poster out of!!

dead man's shoes (2004) - very moving movie about australian brothers

the jacket (2005) - psychotic; almost incites claustrophobia

revolver (2005) - really nice british gangster film [on this genre, check out: trainspotting (1996), layer cake (2004), this is england (2006)]

9 (2009) - this is an animation movie, and didn't get much attention but is awesome!

a scanner darkly (2006) - another movie that went almost unnoticed

keep adding, folks!