PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

5 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I know?! I was refreshing like mad. My guess is because Harvard didn't move so neither did we...

5 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I know?! I was refreshing like mad. My guess is because Harvard didn't move so neither did we...

I even watched the entire karate kid clip, as if that would help me cope. 

Edited by Averroes MD

4 minutes ago, NewPhD said:

I have heard from 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to, and am thinking about just making a decision now.  I have no idea when I'll hear from the 4th place and may give up on it, so that I can make a decision.

I feel the same way, though at least I know 3 of 4 schools I'm waiting on are only just starting to release acceptances, or haven't yet. It's UVA that is really killing me since they presumably notified admits 3ish weeks ago and I've still heard nothing. 

Every time I tell my partner about a rejection she feels bad for me and I have to insist its OK because at this point, I just want to know where I'm going to end up and every rejection just narrows down the possibilities further. 

Edited by menge
argh.

18 minutes ago, menge said:

I feel the same way, though at least I know 3 of 4 schools I'm waiting on are only just starting to release acceptances, or haven't yet. It's UVA that is really killing me since they presumably notified admits 3ish weeks ago and I've still heard nothing. 

Every time I tell my partner about a rejection she feels bad for me and I have to insist its OK because at this point, I just want to know where I'm going to end up and every rejection just narrows down the possibilities further. 

It looks like you have some acceptances, at least.  So, that's good!

40 minutes ago, menge said:

UVA is also killing me. But looks like tomorrow is Harvard (please John Harvard... do not make me wait till next week....]

Edited by Marcion

1 hour ago, Marcion said:

UVA is also killing me. But looks like tomorrow is Harvard (please John Harvard... do not make me wait till next week....]

Why do we think it's tomorrow by the way?

I've literally become useless due to this anticipation.

6 minutes ago, Averroes MD said:

Why do we think it's tomorrow by the way?

I've literally become useless due to this anticipation.

Historical results data, from the looks of it. Also they seem to have vetted some candidates already since several have noted being bumped down to MTS applications. 

4 hours ago, rheya19 said:

I got into Iowa! YAY! Apparently my POIs were "deeply impressed" with my interview. 

eN0mVJ1OckDx.gif

Congratulations! It's always a great feeling getting into a program

2 hours ago, Marcion said:

What's worse is when you have an interview tomorrow and Harvard is reaching out to everyone.... it might just throw off your interview performance (I'm interviewing tomorrow as well but any Harvard news might throw me off for better or worse)

4 hours ago, MarthUser said:

What's worse is when you have an interview tomorrow and Harvard is reaching out to everyone.... it might just throw off your interview performance (I'm interviewing tomorrow as well but any Harvard news might throw me off for better or worse)

My exact problem as well! I am with you friend!!!

For those waiting for Boston University Graduate GSAS, I just received an email from the Director of Graduate Department of Religious Studies asking if I want to transfer my application to the School of Theology. His reasoning is that due to a shake-up of the Religion Department (from what I heard, they're consolidating two of the tracks into one), they are not admitting any students this year.

PM me if you want to know more about the difference between the BU School of Theology and Department of Religion, and I can speak from experience having taken classes between the two programs and having picked up on key similarities/differences.

7 minutes ago, MarthUser said:

His reasoning is that due to a shake-up of the Religion Department (from what I heard, they're consolidating two of the tracks into one), they are not admitting any students this year.

Oh snap... so they are taking no one?!?

13 minutes ago, Marcion said:

Oh snap... so they are taking no one?!?

That's the impression I got from the email. I plan to follow-up with my STM advisor Christopher Evans (who's at the School of Theology and technically also in the Graduate Department of Religion) to confirm that this is the case. But to be honest, I would not be surprised if they're not taking anyone because of this shake-up.