PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

I've been notified that the theology department at Canterbury Christ Church (UK school attached to the Church of England) has put forth my name for acceptance and to award me a studentship which would fund my studies.

The nomination essentially guarantees me acceptance (they've never had a nomination turned down) but receiving the funding is trickier, being international. Being that I would be ordained my potential primary supervisor (a CoE priest) is reaching out to various dioceses about serving 1/2-time at a church in exchange for housing and funding, as part of a backup. Just have to make sure we don't violate visa laws on that end.

It's something at least and the prospect of life in England for the next three years is alluring.

13 hours ago, xypathos said:

I've been notified that the theology department at Canterbury Christ Church (UK school attached to the Church of England) has put forth my name for acceptance and to award me a studentship which would fund my studies.

The nomination essentially guarantees me acceptance (they've never had a nomination turned down) but receiving the funding is trickier, being international. Being that I would be ordained my potential primary supervisor (a CoE priest) is reaching out to various dioceses about serving 1/2-time at a church in exchange for housing and funding, as part of a backup. Just have to make sure we don't violate visa laws on that end.

It's something at least and the prospect of life in England for the next three years is alluring.

Nice! I've secured funding for Oxford, so I'll be going to the UK with you!

On 3/24/2017 at 4:59 PM, Averroes MD said:

Nice! I've secured funding for Oxford, so I'll be going to the UK with you!

Well done with securing funding.  My husband is British and did his undergrad at Cambridge and is always very pessimistic about the funding chances so I didn't even try.  (Well, that and the U.K. doesn't acknowledge the adoption of our oldest son so since he came along the plan had to be the US first.)  But it's a good gig if you can get it.