Another 'help me' post: choosing :s

hnb

Hi all,

I am an international student (from Europe).

I have applied for M.S In Computer Science and after a long wait I am now

in the difficult but very happy situation where I can choose between:

1) Stanford University: I like the west-coast, life is probably cheaper and perhaps it has a better

reputation than choice 2? They have nice courses, however regarding my main interest there are not that much. They do ahve other courses in the field of AI but not in the specialization I am interested in.

2) Columbia University: Ivy League, does that match up against Stanfords reputation? NY is probably a great city, but also rather expensive? The courses really match my interests lot of Machine Learning and CV (see below) courses.

In addition it is perhaps good to know that I am interested in Artificial Intelligence, and especially Computer Vision and Machine Learning. Furthermore I will most likely pursue I a research career in the professional sector as opposed to the academical. (However things can change of course)..

Any tips or ideas?

hnb

Palo Alto is FAR from cheap! NYC is probably more expensive, but not by a whole lot.

Stanford is a top school for CS. Ivy league means nothing for grad school; don't get sucked into that nonsense.

Unless you feel you have to live in the city, I would definitely choose Stanford. I've been to both campuses and love them both, but a degree in CS from Stanford will carry more weight than one from Columbia.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use