Hi all~~

I am recently preparing for my application to the PhD programmes in the U.S. I wanna wok on women and workplace justice. I want to explore opportunities from the feminist / women's studies departments in the US universities. So far I have looked into the one in UCSB, U of Washington, and U of Michigan. I am a little bit lost when I try to shortlist and  find all these feminist departments. May I ask if any of you can provide me some insights as to which feminist departments I should also explore?

Thanks very much!!

Edited by hulaprissy

What do you mean by feminist? Are you looking for scholars who use feminist methods, engage with feminist theory, or something else?

If you want a list of women's studies associations, you should check out NWSA's online resources. They have an institutional directory, which you can search to more easily find departments. http://www.nwsa.org/AF_institution_Directory.asp

Without knowing more specifically what you're interested in, it's hard to tell you what departments you should explore.

7 hours ago, rising_star said:

What do you mean by feminist? Are you looking for scholars who use feminist methods, engage with feminist theory, or something else?

If you want a list of women's studies associations, you should check out NWSA's online resources. They have an institutional directory, which you can search to more easily find departments. http://www.nwsa.org/AF_institution_Directory.asp

Without knowing more specifically what you're interested in, it's hard to tell you what departments you should explore.

Many thanks!!

Yes, I am looking for scholars who use feminist methods, engage with feminist theories and focus on women's issues. At best, I hope to enrol in a department where cutting-edge research is conducted and where there are people who work on workplace justice for women.

Thanks for the link.

You should be thinking about the people whose work you've been reading. Who are the scholars whose work you enjoy reading and who you frequently cite? Start there and by reading recently published articles in your area(s) of interest to see who is publishing on the topic. 

I think most PhD programs are places where "cutting-edge research is conducted" so that's not something I'd mention in emails to departments or POIs if I were you.

Thanks!! been reading articles and spotted some scholars too. but apparently there are very few in my topic of interest. so i also look for the departments too, u know, just to work through all channels. 

HAHA, of coz i won't mention it in the emails.... but u know there are always differences in the departments.. so i just wanna know more from people's comments..

• 4 weeks later...

hulaprissy, I don't think your original question lacked clarity.  

There are 17 departments in the United States that currently offer PhDs in the field. They are: Arizona State University, Emory, Indiana, Oregon State UniversityOhio State University, Rutgers, Stony Brook, Texas Woman's University, University of Arizona, UCLA, UCSB, UCSC, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, and University of Washington. Michigan doesn't offer a standalone PhD in the field; it offers a joint PhD in Women's Studies and English, History, or Psychology. 

It's a small enough number that you should be able to quickly survey all of them.

• 1 month later...