Chances of Getting Into a California State University?

sunnysmile

Hello! I just graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Psychology and I am wondering what my chances might be of getting into an MSW program. I live in California and will be applying to CSUs - looking at San Marcos, Fullerton, Eastbay, LA, Northridge, Chico, Humboldt, and Long Beach (reach school).

My stats are:

GPA - 3.81 Overall 3.9 Psych (including Stats - got an A- in it) 4.0 Psych w/o Stats 3.9 Upperdivision

Experience with Social Services/Research: Volunteer Tutor for child struggling with school - March 2016 to May 2016 (will be doing fall when school starts up again)

Volunteer Assistant to Art Therapist - April 2016 to present; helped art therapist with special needs afterschool group in the classroom. I now help her with an art therapy program at a homeless day program for women and children and will be helping her in fall hopefully too.

Research Assistant - January 2016 to May 2016; helped with positive psych study with my professor - I'll be assisting her in the fall as well as a volunteer.

Other Experience:

Gift Shop Volunteer - January 2016 to present; provide customer service and cashier services to church gift shop.

Some other things I am doing/applying for:

- Peace and Justice Ministry - just started this month; organize events for people in need in the community (free healthcare fair, backpacks for kids in need, etc.)

- Internship/Volunteering at a farm owned by Humane Society where foster kids/teens come out to help out with the farm and receive a therapeutic experience; interviewing in August.

- Hospital Volunteer - Friendly Visitor - visit patients in hospital and bring them things they request, etc. (will this be relevant experience for MSW?)

- Equine Volunteer for Therapeutic Riding program - need to apply

Questions: - Should I apply to a few schools or multiple given my experience level? I am concerned that I won't get into any and will be losing a lot of money applying to a lot of programs.

- Should I talk about my depression/anxiety/social anxiety treatment in my personal statement? I started treatment 2 years ago and I take medication and have made TONS of progress with therapy and exposure work - I am stable and doing well. However, I don't have a lot of experience because I was always afraid to show up to volunteer. Obviously, I have overcome my fears and feel like I could handle the MSW program but I feel like I am behind. Would it hurt or help me to explain this situation? Or should I just try without explaining the reason for my limited experience? 

- Should I just not apply this year and apply next year to get more experience? Thanks so much! :)

Hi, I'm not a Grad student and am still finishing my BA in psych, but since no one is replying I'd like to just give an outside perspective uneducated opinion. I think your GPA is amazing, you should be soo proud. I don't know what kind of ECs or experience is the baseline for these schools so don't know where you stand. As for your personal statements, I discussed my overcoming alcoholism and getting sober in my applications to UC undergrad and I think it helped. If it was me in your shoes, try to tell a story which is true that is about overcoming the odds, performing and working hard to rebound from the impact of those personal struggles. Everyone likes a story where the comeback kid makes it, how can you highlight your own journey to present it that way. Not sure if that's the right thing to do or not, just a thought. I wish you luck with getting in, and based on what you say about GPA you are top notch at least in academic performance terms. The cost of applying might be painful when it's multiple schools, but I feel it's worth it. If it was me I would be applying to all the UCs and CSUs I was interested in, max out your chances.

Edited by BackNSchool83

BackNSchool83 - Thanks so much for your reply :) I appreciate it! I really appreciate your insight about the personal statement and your success with telling your story and how you overcame your obstacles. I feel like talking about how I have overcome the obstacles and worked hard to get where I am - and that I am serious about the field because of all the work I have done in developing my strengths. Thanks again for your comment :)   I really appreciate it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

You have nothing to worry about! Your GPA is really high and you have plenty of experience. All that you would need to focus on is writing a personal statement, but I am positive that you will get in! :D Also, I am worried about getting into USC (MSW/PhD Dual Program) and CSULB (MSW) . My stats are:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45; Human Development GPA:3.81; Psychology GPA: 3.54

Received a B in Stats and also took Advanced Stats and received a B as well. 

I have been volunteering for 7 months at a State Mental Hospital and shadow and assist Social Workers, Psychologists and Psychiatrists.

I am a Research Lab assistant for a Developmental Psychology lab that focuses on children's gender, ethnicity, and culture.

Also, I am Research Lab Assistant in a Neuroscience and Forensic Psychology lab.

Was a Statistics Assistant for a professor in the Human Development department.

Was a volunteer/mentor for an organizations that helps low income children. 

Can anyone please give me any feedback? :(