UCLA Fall 2017 - 2018 MSW Applicants

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into Fall 2017 but might end up applying for Fall 2018 since I need to take statistics (unsure if I can afford to sign up for a class this upcoming fall semester). 

Cumulative gpa is 3.038, major gpa is 3.207.  Hoping to take statistics, and since my last semester gpa was terrible (failed a class that dropped my gpa and it was the second F on my transcript), I might take another two to show improvement.

I have volunteered, interned, and worked for non-profit organizations and social service agencies since 2008. Most relevant experience: interned at a rape crisis center for a year and half, volunteered as a rape crisis counselor in the emergency room for two years (completed 312 hours of service), currently volunteering as a hotline crisis counselor and working full-time at a university in an office that helps victims and survivors on campus.

In my opinion, my strength is having worked consistently in my field for four years and with my target populations for eight. And my letters of recommendation which will come from one of my supervisors, professor and mentor, and advisor of a fellowship program I completed. 

I am also looking into Fall 2017 but I am unsure of how competitive my application will be. UCLA would be the dream!

I have a 3.3 GPA and received my Bachelors in PSYCH from CSU Fullerton. I am also hoping to take statistics in the fall at a local community college since I received a C when I took it as an undergrad. According to their admissions page, you need a B or above in stats. I will possibly take another course while I'm at it.  

As for experience, I have worked for 3 non-profits. Which includes, 2 years as a Program Leader in an after school program aimed at helping at-risk communities end the cycle of poverty through education.

I worked 2 years at a Family Resource Center as a Case Manager. My role there was to create a case plan with clients and used strengths-based support and advocacy to assist families meet their goals. This provided me the opportunity to work with diverse populations and collaborate with various agencies.

I currently work for a Domestic Violence agency as a Case Manager in their residential program. My role is to help families that live in our transitional program that been affected by intimate partner violence heal and gain self-sufficiency. I am responsible for providing ongoing support to my clients with an emphasis on permanent housing, employment, and childcare. That is my experience in a nutshell.;)

I really hope I am a competitive candidate. I was on the fence about applying to UCLA but I have nothing to lose. My biggest challenge will be finding a professor for one of my letters of rec since I never got close to any of them while in school.

Well, I wish to all of us the best of luck during application season lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Both of you sound like great applicants to me. I'm 33 and am hoping to get school done without delay so I can start a career and begin putting some money away.

I just transfered from a CC with a 4.0 as a psychology major, and now I'm majoring in psychology and social behavior at UC Irvine. I'm in the alcohol and other drugsAOD program at my CC still while also going to UCI. I'm also starting work again as support staff at an AOD treatment center that specializes with co occurring disorders. I'm in recovery as well, little over 2 years now, so hopefully my age and life experience will help and not hinder me. When I apply I'm going to have 1.5 years working at an AOD facility, an internship done as well, almost a degree in AOD which would allow me to be a counselor, and hopefully good grades at UCI. 

Im a late bloomer... Wish I had more experience, I hope it works out because I know I'm ready for it. Let's keep this thread alive and help eachother be successful.

Edited by BackNSchool83

• 4 months later...

I am a late bloomer as well. I had 4.0 GPA with psychology classes from CC, transferred to UCI with Psychology & Social behavior major (3.57 GPA). 

I applied to USC last year (I only applied USC at that time), received an offer $30,000 scholarship but i had to defer because I was not sure with MSW and high tuition.

I have about half year volunteer experience at an orphanage, half year at Down Syndrome Foundation, 3 months at after-school programs for students from low-income families, 

5 months as research assistant. I am not sure I have enough volunteer experience.. If I add them up, it could be about 1 1/2 years.. lol..

Currently I just started working in Public Social Services department about 3 months...

I am not sure I am competitive candidate, but I wish I am!!

I am currently working on my personal statement...

How about anyone else? How is it going?

I applied by the December 15th deadline. I'm anxious about getting an admission decision. I have a 3.9 upper division undergrad GPA (which was in studio arts with a minor in applied psychology). I, however, feel I do not have as much experience as others. I have a lot of different types of social service experience, but none of is for a great many hours. I have approximately 900 cumulative social service experience hours. I hope this doesn't hurt me as I have been volunteering for years but also working full time jobs not related to the social service field. Any thoughts on this. I also applied to university of washington, which is my top choice but they are very selective...

Does anyone else have a similar situation with a high GPA but not as many volunteer hours?  

• 2 weeks later...
On January 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM, ango186 said:

I applied by the December 15th deadline. I'm anxious about getting an admission decision. I have a 3.9 upper division undergrad GPA (which was in studio arts with a minor in applied psychology). I, however, feel I do not have as much experience as others. I have a lot of different types of social service experience, but none of is for a great many hours. I have approximately 900 cumulative social service experience hours. I hope this doesn't hurt me as I have been volunteering for years but also working full time jobs not related to the social service field. Any thoughts on this. I also applied to university of washington, which is my top choice but they are very selective...

Does anyone else have a similar situation with a high GPA but not as many volunteer hours?  

I will be in a similar boat. Did you interview with them?

On 1/18/2017 at 0:35 AM, BackNSchool83 said:

I will be in a similar boat. Did you interview with them?

No.... I didn't interview. I just did the online application. I wasn't asked to interview....

On 1/16/2017 at 10:32 AM, 12sliders said:

Just submitted my UCLA application yesterday!

Does anyone know when we should be notified that a decision was made?

I heard not till March... it's so hard to wait!

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked their website and it says the following:

When are applicants notified of their admissions status?

PhD applicants are generally notified of their admission status in February. MSW applicants can expect to be notified of their admission status mid-late March.

Looks like we got another month or so until we find out :(

http://luskin.ucla.edu/departments/social-welfare/apply-now/#toggle-id-2

3 hours ago, jmo890 said:

I just checked their website and it says the following:

When are applicants notified of their admissions status?

PhD applicants are generally notified of their admission status in February. MSW applicants can expect to be notified of their admission status mid-late March.

Looks like we got another month or so until we find out :(

http://luskin.ucla.edu/departments/social-welfare/apply-now/#toggle-id-2

Grr it is hard to wait! 

but Thanks for the info! :)

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, 12sliders said:

Congrats!!

When did you submit your application??

I applied for the earlier deadline I think I submitted December 12th. 

11 minutes ago, jmo890 said:

I applied for the earlier deadline I think I submitted December 12th. 

Ahhhh okay good to know! Thanks!! I applied for the Jan 15th one and I'm dying to hear back!

CONGRATS again! Will you definitely be attending?

2 minutes ago, 12sliders said:

Ahhhh okay good to know! Thanks!! I applied for the Jan 15th one and I'm dying to hear back!

CONGRATS again! Will you definitely be attending?

I hope you get in! Sending everyone on this post positive energy! Yeah I'll be attending it was the only school I applied to.