How important are GRE scores to graduate schools? I'm afraid if I don't get at least a 150 on each section, even with studying. I don't want my GRE scores to make or break my admission into grad school.

A lot of factors go in to decisions, so no your GRE will not necessary bar you from getting in. That being said, it is a tool that committees use to determine how well you might do in grad school. If your GPA is low, then you'll want the best possible score on the GRE to offset that. However if you have an outstanding GPA (3.8 or so) and great LORs, then your GRE wont matter as much. That aside, you still want the best possible score no matter what. Especially in SLP as that discipline seems to be becoming more and more competitive now-a-days as many from SLP majors try to get into grad school.  

It's hard to answer this, because every school is different and I am not sure what "low" means to you. You can offset a poor score with other things, like GRE, LoR, and your personal statement, and some schools don't even require the GRE. Some schools don't look at applications that don't meet a certain score/GRE, and some schools assign a number rating system to each part of your application (you might get a 2 for GRE scores, but a 5 in all other areas, for example.) 

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking from personal experience, high GRE scores (specifically, 162 Verbal, 154 Quant and 5.5 AW) are the main reason I got into my Master's program at UM, despite my low GPA. And by low, I mean very low: 2.78 to be exact. Granted, this was for my last two years; my first two years at Community College I had a 3.6. Still, if I hadn't studied my butt off for the GRE and gotten great letters of rec from my former professors, I doubt I would have had a snowball's chance of getting in.

My advice is, buy a GRE study book, and download a free study app or two on your phone. I scheduled my test date for three-ish months after I bought the book (Manhattan Prep 5lb GRE book, $15 on Amazon). I spent about 15 hours a week studying, and took 4 free online practice tests before the exam itself. Here are a bunch. Not all are great, but I took all of the top three, and they were very similar to the real thing (one of them lets you take it twice).

https://crunchprep.com/gre/2014/free-gre-practice-tests

Good luck!

Hi,

Most universities ask for GRE. I would say it is totally necessary and worth studying for, especially as many students do present a competitive GRE score and you want to stand out. The GPA and other experience are already done, now one thing you can do to add point is GRE. It is not something extra hard, though you need to plan some time to study for it. Advice:

1. Good online course: Magoosh

2. You might want to leave enough time to do 2 attempts - to make sure you are satisfied with your final score.

I am organizing a meetup event on 14th August, this Sunday in Manhattan. I will share advice about GRE math, come by if you're around: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/lss/5722106731.html

good luck!

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2016 at 5:26 PM, Crimson Wife said:

There are schools that accept the Miller Analogies Test in lieu of the GRE (no math on the MAT!) There are also schools that do not require the GRE at all.

Do you know where I can find a list of each , schools that do not require the GRE,  and schools that accept the MAT?

Hi guys,

I have been studying GRE for a month and next week is my exam date. The verbal section is extremely hard  for non-native speakers and quantitative section is somehow hard. But I am studying and have hope. I am going to apply for SLP but i am afraid of getting not enough score for schools in New York, all of which need GRE. I already have master in computational linguistics ( out of US) and my GPA is pretty good (around 3.5) and i could provide strong recommendation letter from  professors of  my country. Do you think if i have a chance for SLP master program in NY if i dont get good GRE score?

Ironically for me the school I ended up going to did not require the GRE so for me not very important! Personally I think there is more than an applicant than standardized test scores and luckily the programs I was accepted into recognized that since I've never been great at standardized tests!