How different should my apps be the 2nd time around?

RM17

Hi everyone!
I was accepted to a couple neuroscience PhD programs last year, but, due to a confluence of personal and professional circumstances, I opted to stay at my job and reapply in the fall. Though it's a daunting task to undertake a second time by choice, I am happy with my decision. I got into 2/5 schools last time -- not a bad record certainly -- though I hope to do even better this time around. I will probably reapply to at least 2 of the programs that rejected me (the list is still a work in progress), and one program let me defer without committing, so I still have one acceptance.

I will have a few extra pubs (1 first author, hopefully) and presentations when I apply. However, I am remaining in the same RA job I've had for a couple years, and of course my past experiences are the same. In my SOP, I plan to highlight the past year (which won't be hard, it's been productive), but I don't know if I can/should change the "bones" of the essays too much. Still, I don't want schools to look unfavorably upon me because the two versions are too similar, either because they view it as lazy (or worse, self-plagarism?) or because it wasn't good enough for certain schools in the first place...

Should I just not look at my SOP from last cycle at all, and start from scratch, or can I use it as a guide and tweak/rewrite as necessary? I don't expect schools to remember what I wrote, but I know they likely have my last app on file and don't want to run the risk of them comparing the two if they see I applied last year...

P.S. FWIW -- I don't think there was anything fundamentally wrong with my application in general -- I had a GPA >3.6 (top 30 mid-size private US university), and GRE over the 90th percentile on all sections. I think that 1) publications (I had ~3 mid-author with 2 of those in prep last time) and 2) possibly a more psych-heavy bend to my coursework, were my main downsides, along with somewhat minimal contact with PIs. I have been rectifying my publications list, as well as my PI contact, this year, and my LORs, though strong, will be stronger this fall. Therefore, the SOP is kind of the big thing that might need serious work.

@RM17 I don't think it would hurt to try and write a new personal statement. In fact, it might be a good exercise. Ultimately, you might even want a final version that is a blend of the two. Did you have anyone give you feedback on your statement from last year? From my experience, feedback on my statement was extremely valuable and greatly improved my statement. I think the trickiest part, for me, was nailing the right tone of the statement. Your voice needs to shine through, show confidence and highlight your skills and experiences, without coming across like an infomercial or just an essay version of your CV.
Did you get any feedback about your applications last year? Without it, it's hard to say why you were accepted from some schools and not from others. Your GRE and GPA sound great - so it was probably something else (like your letters or SOP). Some programs might have declined your application because you did not fit their program based on your research interests, so it might be worth while to expand your list of potential programs to apply for.

Good luck!

@kokobanana Thank you! I did have someone look over my application, and it definitely was helpful. By and large, the schools that rejected me were very prestigious, so it's unfortunate but not surprising. I have spoken to admissions faculty, my PI, and others, and the general consensus about my main weakness seems to be publications. I am working on a first author one which will go out ASAP. Plus I was recently at a conference and got some face time with PIs, not to mention ideas for other schools to apply to that are doing things related to my rather specific area of interest. So I'm honestly feeling good!

I also wonder if it isn't partly about the type of research I do; I am a neuroimager, and some neuroscience programs seem to perhaps prefer those who do more cellular/molecular research. Only one of my interviews was at a pure "neuro" program, and I was one of very few folks doing the cognitive thing. And, incidentally, one of few non-college seniors. Unsure if this is normal, but in that school's psych programs, students were either funded by the department with TA-ships or paid their own way, meaning that neuroscience students were much more burdensome financially for people who took both. That was only one weekend for one school, and I did get in there, so it wasn't impossible. But it did make me think. I'm sure it depends who's in the room and what they want in a particular year. One of the aforementioned admissions people essentially said as much.

That (mostly irrelevant) anecdote aside, it might be a great idea to take a pass at writing a new SOP prior to looking at my old one, just to see what I say, and then checking out the old one, and putting them together. I was generally happy with my old SOP and the feedback wasn't SO drastic (though it was helpful!) that I think I need to totally go back to the drawing board, but the SOP in general was a helpful exercise in figuring out how to present myself in a broader context throughout the process, so redoing it will probably not be a bad thing.

@RM17 I'm actually kind of surprised about them saying that their biggest concern was the pubs... the only reason I think that would be is if you have been out of school for a while. If you haven't been in school, the pubs could be a reflection of your productivity since you've graduated. I'd say that more than half of the people in my incoming class do not have pubs. It also could be a research field specific thing.... cellular/molecular neuro vs. neuro imaging.

You are right that most people applying to neuro programs are interested in more molecular and cellular neuroscience. I don't think I met anyone that was interested in neuroimaging during my interviews. But as long as you are applying to programs that have a strong focus on neuroimaging, it really shouldn't be an issue. Most "pure" neuro programs are also fully funded, with minimal teaching requirements. I'm not sure how this is in psych departments.

I think you have the right idea about your SOP. Just make is strong, confident, and let your voice shine through!

13 hours ago, kokobanana said:

@RM17 You are right that most people applying to neuro programs are interested in more molecular and cellular neuroscience. I don't think I met anyone that was interested in neuroimaging during my interviews. But as long as you are applying to programs that have a strong focus on neuroimaging, it really shouldn't be an issue. Most "pure" neuro programs are also fully funded, with minimal teaching requirements. I'm not sure how this is in psych departments.

I was curious if other schools were the same -- that doesn't particularly surprise me to hear. The PIs I want to work in mostly have medical school appointments rather than in psych departments, so I'm stuck a bit between a rock and a hard place. But I have high hopes this round! Thank you!

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

Apply to programs that really fit your research interests and goals. 

I did, and I will! None of this is to imply that I don't have anything to say about my experiences or that I am unsure about the fit of neuroscience programs in general for me; for a variety of reasons, I know they will be best for me. I've had a lot of time to think about it! I just want to make sure that one piece that can change -- my SOP -- puts me in the best position possible.

@ballwera I have considered them in passing, but I really don't have a physics background to speak of...though people in neuroscience programs often have a bit of a different bend they generally fit me pretty well, because my background consists mostly psych and bio classes. As I make my list, I have thought about looking into those programs a bit more, so we'll see!