Hi everybody, I'm back from my long hiatus and am doing exactly what I did last year: starting the new thread for new applicants right before CSDCAS opens. Hopefully by 2018 I'll have gotten in and won't be here doing this anymore, lol.

This thread is for everyone applying for 2017. That includes spring, summer, and fall applicants from any and all countries!

Are you guys ready for this round? Who else is applying again that didn't get in before? How's life? etc.

Hi! After stalking these forums for two application cycles, I'm more than excited to be a part of this one! I will be applying for Fall 2017.

I'm going into my senior year of college- though it'll actually be my 5th year due to changing majors. Currently I'm not very happy with my quant GRE score, and have been studying in hopes of pulling it up when I take the test mid August. 

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

If you have any questions about Radford and the surrounding area, let me know! I don't know much about the program but I did my undergrad at Radford. Good luck!

Oh wow, yeah, what are you doing in this subforum? Lol!

Please message me anything you want to tell me about Radford. I know nothing about it (I don't even remember what city it's in)!

8 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

If you have any questions about Radford and the surrounding area, let me know! I don't know much about the program but I did my undergrad at Radford. Good luck!

I'm not an applicant, but I would love to learn more about Radford as I'll be attending the university this year! 

Good luck to everyone on the 2017 cycle!

Grrr. Nearly all the personal statement prompts on the schools' websites are wrong, except for like...two. And some of them aren't up on CSDCAS yet so I have no idea what their official prompts are gonna be! There goes my idea of getting ahead early by writing preliminary drafts. At least I have some free time occasionally at work where I can work on writing in a good focus environment for once :P

I am applying this cycle to summer/fall 2017 programs... and I am losing my mind over it. I've narrowed it down to 27 schools so far and will either be eliminating my top ten or my bottom ten once I take my GRE in September. This is my first time applying and holy moly the whole process is SO. DARN. STRESSFUL! How many others have had sleepless nights over this? Good luck to all <3 Virtual hugs XO

I'm also applying for 2017! I am an out-of-field applicant working on studying for the GRE and narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. Yes, many stressful days already! Let's keep each other updated!

On 8/3/2016 at 10:16 PM, plume said:

I'm also applying for 2017! I am an out-of-field applicant working on studying for the GRE and narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. Yes, many stressful days already! Let's keep each other updated!

Go us, out-of-field applicants!

How many schools are you looking at? Have you taken pre-reqs? I just finished 8/9 of the prereqs offered by Longwood University, and if I get accepted to a school that needs the 9th I'll gladly take it before fall semester. Even if it means taking one more class online...

@Puffer Fish

I am thinking of applying to up to 12 leveling programs and maybe five post-baccs. I'm still not sure about that, though - I'm worried it will be too much! I am taking stats and a comm disorder prereq in the Fall, but that's it. I am shooting for the stars, but I am trying to be realistic and be okay with getting into just post-baccs! My GPA is also lower than I thought it would be - I did not realize initially that the GPA I send in will include ALL transcripts, not just what I was awarded by the university I graduated from. Thankfully, I have direct one-on-one language therapy experience at my position right now, so I am hoping that will help me get into school at some point.

Hello everyone! I am going to be a senior applying for Fall 2017! I'm extremely nervous, but I took my GRE today and am pretty happy with my score which helps me relax a little. I'm applying to University of Central Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Wichita State University, Michigan State University, Ohio State University (Maybe), University of Iowa (Maybe), Missouri State University, University of Arkansas, Oklahoma State University (Maybe)

Quick question: Have you all opened CSDCAS accounts yet? I was going to this week, but the academic advisor at a school I visited told me not to for some reason. 

Edited by K8eCastle

10 hours ago, K8eCastle said:

Quick question: Have you all opened CSDCAS accounts yet? I was going to this week, but the academic advisor at a school I visited told me not to for some reason. 

It's possible that that advisor thinks the cycle opens mid-September, like it did last year. They opened it earlier this year and allowed previous applicants from last year to import data from their old apps. That's probably why they added the extra month this year.

4 hours ago, Puffer Fish said:

It's possible that that advisor thinks the cycle opens mid-September, like it did last year. They opened it earlier this year and allowed previous applicants from last year to import data from their old apps. That's probably why they added the extra month this year.

That must have been it. She told me "CSDCAS opens on the 2nd but don't bother with that yet." I'll probably open an account anyway 

Out-of-field/career changing applicant (completed undergrad in 2009), applying for Fall 2017! Very impressed and maybe a little intimidated by everything I've been reading on this forum. I've spent this year taking pre-reqs online through Northwestern's Pre Speech Pathology program and I'm just excited to get going on applications!

Anyone here applying to schools in the NY area? I'm looking at Columbia, NYU, CUNY Hunter and NY Medical College.

I am getting ready to graduate in December! I'll be applying for Fall 17 :) I'm looking mostly in NY, at SUNY Fredonia, New Paltz, Plattsburgh, University at Buffalo, Buffalo State, and Nazareth. Also looking at University of Virginia for something different! Taking my GRE in September, just working on studying for that so far. 

3 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

Very impressed and maybe a little intimidated by everything I've been reading on this forum.

Join the club. I feel like I have no chance based on the stats I see on here!

33 minutes ago, K8eCastle said:

Join the club. I feel like I have no chance based on the stats I see on here!

If you have no chance then I REALLY have no chance; most of your stats are better than mine!

Stats help a lot but aren't necessarily the end all. I emailed Emerson College today (my reachiest school) with my stats asking if they accept students like me, and they said that they do (!!!!!) and the best way to help lower GPA apps is with killer personal statements and exceptional LORs, all of which are within your control (sorta).

I hope that instills some confidence in both you and all my lovely lurkers.

I'm applying for the Fall 2017 cycle! I just took my GRE and did well, but I am planning on retaking it to get a more competitive score. I love that this is here and that I can see that I'm not the only one stressing about this!! :wub:

Hendry County Schools in Florida will hire Bachelors level positions. They will put you on a 2 year plan where you can work with your Bachelors and do everything a Masters level is doing. After two years or within the two years you can apply for your Masters. There are two positions open and we are in need of help! 

1 hour ago, Katie622 said:

Hendry County Schools in Florida will hire Bachelors level positions. They will put you on a 2 year plan where you can work with your Bachelors and do everything a Masters level is doing. After two years or within the two years you can apply for your Masters. There are two positions open and we are in need of help! 

I just looked it up and it looks like you still have to be certified in the state of Florida. I'm not sure about Florida's certification rules and I'm busy at work so I can't go down that rabbit hole right now...

Not sure how I feel about this though. What kind of Bachelor's do you have to have? Do they have an affiliation with one of the colleges in FL that offers SLP?

Getting ready to apply to schools for Fall 2017 after completing undergrad in 3 years! I'm pretty nervous about my GRE scores, but hoping that I will be okay as I seem to fall in the middle of the average scores in Quantitate and Verbal and higher end for AW for the schools I want to go to. I'm applying in the Northeast, not sure about all schools yet. Definitely applying to University of Connecticut, Southern Connecticut State University, Sacred Heart University, and University of Rhode Island (where I will complete my undergrad). Best of luck to everyone!

I'm an out of field applicant too. Original degree was in business from the University of Florida (2008), 3.2 GPA. Sigh. Applying to grad school ... the one time you will question every single life choice you ever made while in undergrad. 

Anyway, I ended up applying to 3 post bac/2nd degree programs last year and decided to go to Utah State University to get the whole 2nd degree (although it was hard turning down Northwestern!). ElKel87, how do you like your professors/classes there?! If anyone has any questions about USU, I would be happy to answer them!

I have a 3.9 in my 2nd degree but when you average that with my first, it's only an overall 3.4...at best. I have over 280 direct patient care hours through a hospital Health Scholar Program and UCLA, another 100+ at a private SLP office, and bout 40 at a deaf and hard of hearing clinic centered around auditory verbal therapy. I also have experience working as an ABA instructor. Here are all the programs on my list BEFORE taking the GRE.

MGH Institute of Health Professions
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Florida State University
University of Florida, Gainesville
Teachers College, Columbia University
University of North Carolina, Greensboro
University of South Carolina
University of Georgia
Gallaudet University
Georgia State University
New York University
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida
Auburn University
East Carolina University
Louisiana State University - Health Sci Ctr, New Orleans
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
University of Mississippi
Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University
Jacksonville University
University of West Georgia
Armstrong State University
Nova Southeastern University - SLP Program

If anyone has any insight on some of these schools, I would love to hear it! Or, if you think my credentials wouldn't gain me a possible admission offer to any of the above, feel free to crush my dreams and put me back in check. Some days I think optimistically....other days I eat a pint of ice cream and legitimately cry over an A - believing I won't get accepted anywhere .....soooo yeah lol. 

Also, I for those asking about CSDCAS accounts, I made one the first day it opened and also noticed there were a lot of missing pieces :( 

Edited by CLCD

Hey all! I will be applying this cycle as well. Pretty crappy/mediocre grades from my undergrad. Finishing up my postbacc right now (staying close to a 4.0 this time around!) and scrambling to find a place to volunteer. Who would have known its so difficult to find a place that'll take free labor? I've reached out to so many places and many of them have responded to me saying they have no more room for volunteers because they just have so many people on the waiting list.. I'm feeling desperate as it seems that volunteering is a big part of your application and also is a great opportunity to draw from to write your statement of intent.. Does anyone else here not have much volunteering experience in the field?

Also.. I started the CSDCAS application today and started inputting my grades but I'm having trouble inputting some classes. For instance French and Spanish classes are not listed as options under "subject". How can I input these things?!

Also also.. I haven't even made a list of where I want to apply. Omg the sky is falling.

Edited by imunster