15 hours ago, Callen said:

So relieved!! Just got my first acceptance from Milwaukee!

14 hours ago, alissa11 said:

Got my first acceptance from Ambrose. So relieved!

CONGRATS you two! That first acceptance is so relieving. You're going to grad school! 

On 3/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, mcook64 said:

When did you hear from URI? That is the only program I am waiting to hear from. It doesn't really matter because I am 99.9% sure I will be accepting the offer at Worcester State, but it would be nice to have all of my options available before I commit to Worcester! 

I was accepted 2/24. I am in the same predicament, waiting to hear from all my programs. Good luck to you!

Has anyone heard any additional information about funding offers for MedSLP students (UW Seattle)? I know that the awards were cut by around 60% this year, but I am wondering if anyone has been offered an award yet or if they are still making decisions? Thanks!

1 hour ago, jj134 said:

Has anyone heard any additional information about funding offers for MedSLP students (UW Seattle)? I know that the awards were cut by around 60% this year, but I am wondering if anyone has been offered an award yet or if they are still making decisions? Thanks!

I don't, but my friend is also in the same boat waiting, if that makes you feel any better, haha. 

1 hour ago, jj134 said:

Someone in this forum got offered funding through a separate email. I haven't received anything yet unfortunately :( . Do you plan on attending? 

27 minutes ago, jmk said:

I don't, but my friend is also in the same boat waiting, if that makes you feel any better, haha. 

Thanks for letting me know! This is making me very anxious lol. 

20 minutes ago, imunster said:

Someone in this forum got offered funding through a separate email. I haven't received anything yet unfortunately :( . Do you plan on attending? 

Me either, I hope we get some funding, though! ANYTHING would help lol. I emailed Dr. Spencer about funding and she responded not too long ago. She said that the few scholarships they had have already been offered to students :( . However, she said that if a student declines, the money goes back into the pool for the next person on the list. This made me hopeful, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think whether or not I get funding I will probably still attend. The program is phenomenal (from what I hear) and I greatly prefer to work in a medical setting. I feel that I can't pass up this opportunity, despite the high cost of the program. I am still waiting on ASU to make my final decision, though. 

Are you going to end up attending? 

12 minutes ago, jj134 said:

Thanks for letting me know! This is making me very anxious lol. 

Me either, I hope we get some funding, though! ANYTHING would help lol. I emailed Dr. Spencer about funding and she responded not too long ago. She said that the few scholarships they had have already been offered to students :( . However, she said that if a student declines, the money goes back into the pool for the next person on the list. This made me hopeful, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think whether or not I get funding I will probably still attend. The program is phenomenal (from what I hear) and I greatly prefer to work in a medical setting. I feel that I can't pass up this opportunity, despite the high cost of the program. I am still waiting on ASU to make my final decision, though. 

Are you going to end up attending? 

I'm between UW and a state school. The difference in tuition is MAJOR. I'm having a hard time deciding but I feel the same way. It's such a great opportunity and would feel silly not taking it! I also am interested in the purely med track. 

6 hours ago, jj134 said:

4 hours ago, imunster said:

I'm between UW and a state school. The difference in tuition is MAJOR. I'm having a hard time deciding but I feel the same way. It's such a great opportunity and would feel silly not taking it! I also am interested in the purely med track. 

I'm CoreSLP and also waiting for more news on funding. It's such a shame it got cut so much :( Did you guys receive work study in your financial aid package? I've yet to email the faculty member in charge of department work study to see how that works. I'm still waiting on SFSU to make my final decision, but will most likely be choosing UW in the end. I'm sure the cost will probably scare some people away though, so hold tight on funding! Good luck! I need to find some CoreSLP people LOL

25 minutes ago, pbandj said:

I'm CoreSLP and also waiting for more news on funding. It's such a shame it got cut so much :( Did you guys receive work study in your financial aid package? I've yet to email the faculty member in charge of department work study to see how that works. I'm still waiting on SFSU to make my final decision, but will most likely be choosing UW in the end. I'm sure the cost will probably scare some people away though, so hold tight on funding! Good luck! I need to find some CoreSLP people LOL

They were all loans. Nothing on work study.

29 minutes ago, imunster said:

They were all loans. Nothing on work study.

Aw, I'm sorry about that. I do hope you hear back soon on funding! UW is a fantastic program, and their MedSLP track is an especially unique and wonderful opportunity! The more I look into UW, the more I'm drawn toward it.

1 hour ago, pbandj said:

Aw, I'm sorry about that. I do hope you hear back soon on funding! UW is a fantastic program, and their MedSLP track is an especially unique and wonderful opportunity! The more I look into UW, the more I'm drawn toward it.

Were you offered work study? And yes! I think it's very likely I will go!

58 minutes ago, imunster said:

Were you offered work study? And yes! I think it's very likely I will go!

I was, though I've no idea how it works in the department. I'm wondering if positions in their labs are on a first come first serve basis, and if the department doesn't have any more spots I have to get another work study job on-campus. I'll have to look more into it. And it looks like we may be classmates next fall! :D 

7 hours ago, pbandj said:

I was, though I've no idea how it works in the department. I'm wondering if positions in their labs are on a first come first serve basis, and if the department doesn't have any more spots I have to get another work study job on-campus. I'll have to look more into it. And it looks like we may be classmates next fall! :D 

I haven't received work study in my financial aid package...yet lol. Apparently there was a minor discrepancy between my FAFSA and the UW Financial Aid office so my financial aid package was delayed (I finally got my financial aid award yesterday!). I talked to the financial aid office if I could still qualify for work study and they said most likely yes. I'm also not sure how work study works, so if I get offered it I won't know how to go from there. All of this is starting to get so real! 

Just like @imunster said, all I got at the moment are loans :( . But honestly I was expecting that, especially from a school like UW Seattle lol. I'm STILL waiting on ASU to make my final decision. I hope we get to be classmates this upcoming fall! :) 

17 hours ago, imunster said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I hope I'm in your shoes a year from now! :-) Just one thing I wanted to mention... In addition to the difference in tuition rates, be sure to factor in the cost of living when you consider UW. Seattle is an increasingly expensive city, particularly when it comes to rent. (Thanks a lot, Amazon... *orders 10 things from Amazon anyway*) I'm not sure what the financial aid packages include for living expenses, but rent is currently expensive and only getting worse, so be sure to look into housing options and factor that into the overall expense! I would hate for you to be blindsided by that. But again, huge congratulations!! It's supposed to be an amazing program!! :-)

Edited by SopranoSLP

2 hours ago, SopranoSLP said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I hope I'm in your shoes a year from now! :-) Just one thing I wanted to mention... In addition to the difference in tuition rates, be sure to factor in the cost of living when you consider UW. Seattle is an increasingly expensive city, particularly when it comes to rent. (Thanks a lot, Amazon... *orders 10 things from Amazon anyway*) I'm not sure what the financial aid packages include for living expenses, but rent is currently expensive and only getting worse, so be sure to look into housing options and factor that into the overall expense! I would hate for you to be blindsided by that. But again, huge congratulations!! It's supposed to be an amazing program!! :-)

Actual tuition itself is said to be 21k and another 20k for living expenses are factored into. I looked on Craigslist just as I was curious about rent and it was scary ?. 

7 hours ago, jj134 said:

I haven't received work study in my financial aid package...yet lol. Apparently there was a minor discrepancy between my FAFSA and the UW Financial Aid office so my financial aid package was delayed (I finally got my financial aid award yesterday!). I talked to the financial aid office if I could still qualify for work study and they said most likely yes. I'm also not sure how work study works, so if I get offered it I won't know how to go from there. All of this is starting to get so real! 

Just like @imunster said, all I got at the moment are loans :( . But honestly I was expecting that, especially from a school like UW Seattle lol. I'm STILL waiting on ASU to make my final decision. I hope we get to be classmates this upcoming fall! :) 

I'm glad they figured out your financial aid package! And yes, I wasn't expecting too much from UW either, I was barely expecting an acceptance to begin with LOL. Good luck with ASU and your final decision! Hopefully we will be classmates next fall :D

2 hours ago, imunster said:

Actual tuition itself is said to be 21k and another 20k for living expenses are factored into. I looked on Craigslist just as I was curious about rent and it was scary ?. 

I haven't looked into rent yet, I'm scared to do that lol. Living in Seattle may actually be cheaper for me than living in my next top city, San Francisco! However, UW being 8 quarters rather than 5 semesters like my other programs is adding some additional costs... I have to sit down and really calculate everything soon.

Calculating costs is almost as equal a nightmare as it was choosing schools to apply to. I'm factoring in tuition (I wish programs just gave you a breakdown up front instead of trying to figure out summer costs, etc.), average rent, etc.  

3 hours ago, imunster said:

Yeah, Seattle rent is more expensive than most people realize, which is why I felt sort of obligated to mention it as I was scrolling through this thread. That said, I think the quality of life here is amazing!! The rain really isn't thaaaaat bad, and the beautiful trees and water and mountains (and coffee) totally make up for it! Probably still cheaper than San Francisco, @pbandj, but maybe not for long! Anyway, congrats to all of you! Like I said, I hope I'm in your shoes a year from now :-)