Question/Suggestion about LoR...
I secured my three (two academic, one employer), but I had sent an email to another professor and he finally got back to me about possibly meeting to discuss him writing me one. If he decides to write me one, would it be okay or too much to have 4 letters. 

I've read a few things about how it may be too much and admissions may not even read them all or be turned off by having an extra.
I don't know which to choose from since each letter is going to be pretty unique and different. 

Thanks in advanced!

On 11/28/2016 at 0:47 PM, Allegro8032 said:

All right, good to know...

I have another question. Some of the schools that I'm applying to through CSDCAS have the "Prerequisite" tab under their supporting information for that school. I went to this, and it says "You haven't entered transcripts yet, go to transcript entry", but I have entered my transcripts... Is there like a certain way that I have to enter the Communication Sciences/Disorders courses? It says to enter all courses exactly as is on the entry page... I'm not sure what to do.

Edited by Callen

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone is previously or currently studying masters of speech pathology in Australia. I recieved offers from several universities and am struggling to decide between two unis: Sydney Uni and Melbourne Uni. I am graduating in Mel uni this semester so I know more about the culture and style of teaching in unimelb. However, I have absolutely no idea how Sydney uni is like. Comparing the course description that they provide onilne, Mel uni sounds more broad and theoretical-based (as the usual experience I have had in the 3 yrs of undergrad) while Sydney uni is farely more practical and down to the profession nature. However, as these are only my own interpretations, I am not sure if they are true. In addition, I happened to come across a post which mentioned that the drop out rate for the program is 50%, which is incredibly high. Does anybody know if this is the actual case?

If anyone would be able to give me some advice, I would hugely be grateful of;D 

Any feelings or information about the course, Sydney uni (whether their teaching style is pragmatic), and the factors that you guys will prioritize would definitely help!

Cheers!!

4 hours ago, Callen said:

All right, good to know...

I have another question. Some of the schools that I'm applying to through CSDCAS have the "Prerequisite" tab under their supporting information for that school. I went to this, and it says "You haven't entered transcripts yet, go to transcript entry", but I have entered my transcripts... Is there like a certain way that I have to enter the Communication Sciences/Disorders courses? It says to enter all courses exactly as is on the entry page... I'm not sure what to do.

just kidding, figured it out!

Hey everyone! I'm applying for the fall 2017 cycle as well; sorry if any of these schools have been addressed but has anyone applied to EWU, Armstrong State University, Northern Arizona University, and/or Ithaca College?

On 12/2/2016 at 1:57 PM, aislinncw said:

Hey everyone! I'm applying for the fall 2017 cycle as well; sorry if any of these schools have been addressed but has anyone applied to EWU, Armstrong State University, Northern Arizona University, and/or Ithaca College?

I'm applying to Ithaca for this cycle! :)

1 hour ago, JcSLP said:

I'm applying to Ithaca for this cycle! :)

Aah sweet! How are you feeling about the process?

I also see you're from New York? Are you an IC undergrad currently?

15 minutes ago, aislinncw said:

I am from NY but not an IC undergrad, so I'm not sure about my chances. I know they automatically admit their undergrads if they apply and have a 3.7 GPA or higher, so I'm thinking that's why the application is so simple and short and why they're not asking for additional materials like resume or personal statement... so I'm assuming they're just going off GPA/GRE/letters of rec?! But it also is less work for me on the application side.. :) 

4 minutes ago, JcSLP said:

I am from NY but not an IC undergrad, so I'm not sure about my chances. I know they automatically admit their undergrads if they apply and have a 3.7 GPA or higher, so I'm thinking that's why the application is so simple and short and why they're not asking for additional materials like resume or personal statement... so I'm assuming they're just going off GPA/GRE/letters of rec?! But it also is less work for me on the application side.. :) 

Wow, I didn't know any of that.. That makes me super nervous because my GPA isn't the greatest, but I made a 298 on the GRE (not totally sure if that's really a competitive score, though) and I know I have some great people writing my recommendation letters.

Hi all, new member here, currently at UCF as a terminal MSW graduating May 2017; just submitted applications to UCF, FSU, SHSU, University of Cincinnati, NC State, and University of Illinois in Chicago. 

If anyone wants info on UCF, I can try to answer questions. I would definitely appreciate any distracting seeing as though I most likely won't here anything for about 2 months...

Undergrad-University of TN Knoxville

MSW-University of Central Florida

PhD-We shall see...

Can anyone speak to EWU (East Washington University), University of Wyoming, Pacific University, Portland State University, University of Arkansas, or East Carolina University as to how life is like as a grad student?

@wannabslp I'm sorry I can't speak to any of those programs, but I thought I would suggest posting this on the main board since this thread is for 2017 applicants. Also, if you haven't seen this already, I have found the grad cafe topics about towns/cities very helpful in getting an idea of life as a student in the areas I am applying. Good luck!

Is anyone else applying for the STEP (bilingual specialization) program at IU? I just got an email that my phone interview for it will be Dec. 19th. I'm kinda terrified since I thought it would be in like February or March or even after (if) I got accepted to the Master's program in general. Any idea what they're going to ask me? So scared!

On 12/2/2016 at 8:35 PM, PhDorBUST said:

Hi all, new member here, currently at UCF as a terminal MSW graduating May 2017; just submitted applications to UCF, FSU, SHSU, University of Cincinnati, NC State, and University of Illinois in Chicago. 

If anyone wants info on UCF, I can try to answer questions. I would definitely appreciate any distracting seeing as though I most likely won't here anything for about 2 months...

Undergrad-University of TN Knoxville

MSW-University of Central Florida

PhD-We shall see...

Hi, I'm very interested in info about UCF, even though your experience there so far was in a different field. Feel free to PM me with anything you think a new person would need/want to know! (Campus environment, housing around campus, transportation, Orlando in general, etc.)

Thanks! And good luck! Which session are you applying for at UCF? I'm applying for summer so I should hear back in May. :D

1 hour ago, Puffer Fish said:

Hi, I'm very interested in info about UCF, even though your experience there so far was in a different field. Feel free to PM me with anything you think a new person would need/want to know! (Campus environment, housing around campus, transportation, Orlando in general, etc.)

Thanks! And good luck! Which session are you applying for at UCF? I'm applying for summer so I should hear back in May. :D

I currently go to UCF for my undergrad, graduating in Spring 17 with BS in ComDis!

It's pretty cool around here- it's a typical college town as far as environment goes. I'm living just north of campus (5 minute drive) and sometimes people just have parties in the apartment complex but thats to be expected. 
As far as the program goes, I know the clinic is pretty hands on and you get to be watched over and demonstrated a lot of things, in comparison to just being more free to do your thing (which some people prefer! I know i like that aspect).
If you're wanting to get into research there are a lot of professors that have grants and different labs going on (namely, Towson and Troche for who I know best) if you're interested in looking up any of their stuff. I know they both take on students from undergrad for help and surely graduate students too. 

But anyway, there is the clinic technically on campus grounds in the research parkway area, so thats nice and convenient, as well as UCF being close to downtown orlando and all the medical hospitals and things surrounding that.

Good luck, I hope this helped! Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions! :)

On 12/6/2016 at 10:30 AM, julianorts said:

Is anyone else applying for the STEP (bilingual specialization) program at IU? I just got an email that my phone interview for it will be Dec. 19th. I'm kinda terrified since I thought it would be in like February or March or even after (if) I got accepted to the Master's program in general. Any idea what they're going to ask me? So scared!

Sorry I have no idea what they would ask, but I'm just here to say omg!! That's so soon! I have no idea why they're calling so early. 

I also wanted to say good luck!! Sorry I'm not much help - maybe there are threads around here that talk about what to say on phone interviews!

2 hours ago, Callen said:

Anybody have any good tips on what to say to a professor that hasn't written their LoR yet? I'm worried she won't get it in on time :unsure:

My teachers were late as well. I emailed them both and both of them replied without an apology. One of my teachers finally finished it but I even had to nudge them AGAIN on my electronic eval forms. I'm still waiting on my other teacher... So I suggest you email them ASAP. 

2 hours ago, Callen said:

Anybody have any good tips on what to say to a professor that hasn't written their LoR yet? I'm worried she won't get it in on time :unsure:

Definitely email them or visit them if you guys are still in session. One of mine is a professor, researcher, and co-director of our clinic, and is always incredibly busy and difficult to reach...he told me to send him a reminder email with a urgent notification in the title or something so that he knows it is a priority email. 

On 12/8/2016 at 11:05 PM, Callen said:

Sorry I have no idea what they would ask, but I'm just here to say omg!! That's so soon! I have no idea why they're calling so early. 

I also wanted to say good luck!! Sorry I'm not much help - maybe there are threads around here that talk about what to say on phone interviews!

Thanks! I'm super nervous because since it's all in Spanish that just makes it worse. I wasn't able to find any information online about it.

On 12/2/2016 at 8:00 PM, aislinncw said:

Hey! I graduated in May from IC. I'm not applying there for grad school but I also applied to NAU. If you have any questions about Ithaca, let me know! And yeah they automatically accept SLP undergrads with at least 3.7s but surprisingly a lot of people choose different schools. 

@k_kismet Thank you! That really does help. I feel like I need a more supervised clinic right now so that would be perfect. Now to just...get accepted...and then figure out how to get in-state tuition ASAP because omg out of state costs at UCF are prohibitively high.

In general, my last LoR writer has said he'll try to get it done this week. So with that in mind I'm going to try to submit ALL of my apps this week so they're over. No sense dragging it out longer than I already have, right?

@Kslptobe @Elska Thanks for the advice!! I'm still in session, so I might see if I can make it to her office hours. In the meantime & in my panic, I asked another professor if she'd be willing to write me one, and she agreed. I think she will be a good LoR provider, too, and this takes the pressure of time off the table. I hope your LoR gets theirs in on time kslptobe!

my goal over break is to have all my applications submitted by December 23, so Christmas isn't spent stressing. Good luck everyone in the final stretch of submissions!

Edited by Callen

Is anyone else having issues with CSDCAS saying your transcripts haven't been received? I sent my transcripts through my university WEEKS ago, and CSDCAS is still saying Marquette hasn't received it. I've contacted them twice and they aren't responding. My Marquette application is due today so I'm freaking out. I already submitted it a while back, but they still claim to be missing my transcript.