Do you need physics courses to apply for a Chem PhD?

ainehus

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if, and how many, undergrad physics courses are expected for Chemistry PhD programs. I don't know what field I want to apply for yet, but would like to keep my options open. First-year physics is mandatory at my school but are 2nd/3rd/4th year courses expected or looked upon as a benefit?

I will be taking two years of math and am hoping to do electives in an unrelated field so I don't really have space to take more courses unless they're necessary or strongly recommended. 

Would appreciate some honest opinions!

Thanks,

A

Exactly...Physics 1 & 2 are required.  

And, if your school doesn't require both, I strongly recommend taking P-Chem 1 & P-Chem2.  

As for additional physics classes, I guess it depends on your field.  I know Chemical Physics/PChem can attract physics majors, so it might be a bonus to have an extra physics course(s).  

But, I wouldn't sweat it.  If you'd rather take more electives, do that.  Focus on solid grades and research experience.

4 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

Exactly...Physics 1 & 2 are required.  

And, if your school doesn't require both, I strongly recommend taking P-Chem 1 & P-Chem2.  

As for additional physics classes, I guess it depends on your field.  I know Chemical Physics/PChem can attract physics majors, so it might be a bonus to have an extra physics course(s).  

But, I wouldn't sweat it.  If you'd rather take more electives, do that.  Focus on solid grades and research experience.

Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't recall if physics was a required course for my gradschool. It is usually a requirement for a BS in chemistry. I've never seen a school where one can major in chemistry without taking the intro physics as they aid in the future Pchem classes. So I don't think it is a gradschool requirement, but rather an undergraduate degree requirement and obviously the degree is needed for gradschool. Did I help?