2.8 uGPA and thinking of applying to PhD programs, am I crazy?

rwsjyiy

Hi all, I am extremely confused about what to do to get the career that I want. Currently I work as a research tech in a high profile lab at a great institution. In my time here I have been responsible for all protein purification and QC, worked on multiple projects, been published as 3rd author on an important paper with up to 2 more in the pipeline, and I have headed a project that could result in a patent.  I would ultimately like get a PhD and work in industry. I was originally planning on applying to masters programs, but I have always been hesitant due to the high cost. My boss loves me and believes I can aim higher and that with my work experience I could easily get a masters level job and that I should apply to PhD programs. He knows I have a low GPA but I'm not sure if he knows how low. At the same time I've also told others about my situtation (completely) and they have told me to apply and sometimes if you don't get into the PhD program you are offered a spot in the masters program. Like I said I want to avoid that degree if possible so my current plan is to get a job while applying to PhD programs that have similar masters programs. Anyone have any advice on whether or not this is a good route?

Edit: I have a lot of technical skills and a strong research background and I want to use that for a career in biomedical sciences/biotech/biotherapeutics

Edited by rwsjyiy

As obvious and cliche and it sounds, you won't know if you will get in unless you apply. And the risks are not that high - the worst would be that you have to pay for the application fees and spend time writing the applications.

The question is, do the other aspects of your application make up for your weaker than average GPA? It's difficult, if not impossible, for anyone to predict how your application will be received. But you have experience after you graduated, and that is something you would need to emphasize in your application.

I have met people with research jobs in the private sector and their work has paid for their classes toward a masters degree. This would take an additional 2-3 years for you to finish, but it could greatly improve your GPA and strengthen your application and keep you from going into debt. If you work as a research tech in an academic institution, most places will greatly subsidize night classes (some for graduate level credit), which could strengthen your application.

Ultimately, you should commit yourself to a course of action - whether that is to apply for a new job and/or apply to grad school this year. Not making a decision and not taking action would take you farther away from your goal.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2016 at 1:34 PM, rwsjyiy said:

Hi all, I am extremely confused about what to do to get the career that I want. Currently I work as a research tech in a high profile lab at a great institution. In my time here I have been responsible for all protein purification and QC, worked on multiple projects, been published as 3rd author on an important paper with up to 2 more in the pipeline, and I have headed a project that could result in a patent.  I would ultimately like get a PhD and work in industry. I was originally planning on applying to masters programs, but I have always been hesitant due to the high cost. My boss loves me and believes I can aim higher and that with my work experience I could easily get a masters level job and that I should apply to PhD programs. He knows I have a low GPA but I'm not sure if he knows how low. At the same time I've also told others about my situtation (completely) and they have told me to apply and sometimes if you don't get into the PhD program you are offered a spot in the masters program. Like I said I want to avoid that degree if possible so my current plan is to get a job while applying to PhD programs that have similar masters programs. Anyone have any advice on whether or not this is a good route?

Edit: I have a lot of technical skills and a strong research background and I want to use that for a career in biomedical sciences/biotech/biotherapeutics

You aren't crazy. I'm in the same boat. I'm applying to both masters programs and PhD programs. You can look up my stats in my older posts if you're curious. If you don't get in, I would recommend doing a post-bacc program to help mitigate your uGPA and prove that you can excel in difficult coursework.