Need an Outside Perspective

k.draper

Hey Guys, 

This is the first time I've posted on this site so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong. 

I'm the first person in my family to graduate from college let alone apply to grad school and I'm a bit lost. I would really love an honest idea of what my chances are. I'm planning on applying to several CSU MSW programs (And SFSU)

My stats:

3.5 GPA (last 60 credits)

2.97 (overall. I know, it's low...)

I scored a 5.5 on my Analytical Writing portion of the GRE

I put myself through college completely independently (I've been working since I was 16) and I have a bachelors in anthropology with a minor in philosophy from Portland State University. 

I was volunteer of the year at my local Rape Crisis Center 

I was volunteer of the month at the orphanage where I volunteered/taught for 2.5 months in Thailand

One year of employment in the social work field (working with troubled youth) as well as substitute teaching. 

I have 2 strong letters of recommendation from professors ( I know I need 3)

I had a pretty crazy childhood with strong personal experiences with abuse and trauma that has definitely sparked a passion for social work. 

I know my GPA is low and I don't have any cool research experience or anything like that so I'm really kind of worried. I would appreciate any advice or constructive criticism.

Thanks everyone!

Hey!

For some perspective, I had a very similar application this year to SFSU, for their MSW program.  I had 4 years of work experience in the mental health and addiction fields, working as a supervisor.  My GPA was very similar to yours.. 2.97 in the last 60, 3.19 cumulative.

I had two strong references from professors, one from a work supervisor (executive director of the agency I worked for).

5.5 on the GRE (I think that helped the case with the lower GPA)

and I was offered admission, starting classes in three weeks.

I say go for it! And consider getting a letter of recommendation from a work supervisor.  Also, I included some of my personal history in my statement.. just make sure you focus on how you overcame the challenges you faced, and how you continue to grow, etc. etc.

Check out the school mission statement, and sell your strengths to their values and vision.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I really appreciate the insight! 

Can I ask, how did you get your job in the mental health field? Did you have to take any certification exams to practice addiction therapy? I'm having the hardest time finding jobs in the mental health field that actively pertain to mental health without having to go through some long expensive exam taking and certification. 

Thanks again!

Edited by k.draper

Well, there are lots of positives here.  Admissions looks favorably on an upward trend in GPA, which you demonstrate.  Your work history may also help justify your grades.  You have several highly relevant volunteer and work experiences, which is something admissions looks for in applicants.  You have 2/3 strong letters that you know of, and might be able to get a third.  And you have personal life experiences that have informed your interest in social work, which can definitely be construed as an asset in your application as long as you can relate those experiences to your interest/passion/knack for social work.  I'd say that overall, you have a pretty strong application.  My application was very similar in each of these aspects, except a higher GPA (but also with an upward trend) but I only had one strong letter - and I got into all of my top choices.  Most people aren't perfect and have deficits in one area or another.  I think it's pretty much okay as long as overall, you seem like someone who will succeed in the field - and you definitely do!  And I wouldn't really worry about lack of research experience, especially if your focus is micro/clinical.