NYU Steinhardt online distance program

For real! Actually having expirence in a health related feild could help diversify you from other applicants. So that's good at least. 

The advisor called around before Nov 8th (or around that time frame) to say my application was under review and she needed to ask some questions for her paperwork but haven't heard anything since then. I'm hoping it's good news for us both over the next week or two! This process is nerve-wracking! 

Happy thanksgiving to you too! :)

My admissions counselor has been great and not pushy at all. He encouraged me to apply for January instead of May. Everything was finalized today and he said I should know by Christmas, but I'm worried because my GPA and GRE are low. I have lots of experience, am currently working as an SLPA, and proficient in ASL and fluent in Spanish. 

17 hours ago, amsullivan said:

My admissions counselor has been great and not pushy at all. He encouraged me to apply for January instead of May. Everything was finalized today and he said I should know by Christmas, but I'm worried because my GPA and GRE are low. I have lots of experience, am currently working as an SLPA, and proficient in ASL and fluent in Spanish. 

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you are, but I don't have the experience and am definitely not fluent in Spanish. I spoke with somebody from the department the Thursday before Turkey Day. I was told I would hear back within two weeks or so. I hope they don't wait until right before Christmas. I just can't believe how long it takes to receive an answer from the department. I sure hope it's soon!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:11 AM, amsullivan said:

I found out yesterday I was admitted. My gpa was 3.4. My GRE stats are 151 verbal, 146 quant and 3.5 writing. 

Congrats!!! I'm still waiting to hear from NYU. I contacted the advisor earlier this morning and he said due to the large amount of applications they processed, I should have a final decision by next Monday, the 19th. Now I'm really nervous since you already got an answer and I'm still waiting. I'm really hoping I get accepted. My stats are pretty similar to yours, but I did 4.0 on the writing portion of the GRE. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for good news. How long ago did you apply? I guess that doesn't matter too much. I suppose they just processed your application before mine. I hope I get in!

43 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

Congrats!!! I'm still waiting to hear from NYU. I contacted the advisor earlier this morning and he said due to the large amount of applications they processed, I should have a final decision by next Monday, the 19th. Now I'm really nervous since you already got an answer and I'm still waiting. I'm really hoping I get accepted. My stats are pretty similar to yours, but I did 4.0 on the writing portion of the GRE. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for good news. How long ago did you apply? I guess that doesn't matter too much. I suppose they just processed your application before mine. I hope I get in!

My application was completed and submitted for a decision on Nov. 28th. Hopefully you'll hear before then!! Who is your admissions advisor?

1 minute ago, amsullivan said:

My application was completed and submitted for a decision on Nov. 28th. Hopefully you'll hear before then!! Who is your admissions advisor?

How long did it take you to receive a decision? I've been speaking with Brett. I suppose he's my assigned advisor. He's very helpful, but the decision is taking forever! I can't wait anymore!

2 hours ago, speechfan222 said:

How long did it take you to receive a decision? I've been speaking with Brett. I suppose he's my assigned advisor. He's very helpful, but the decision is taking forever! I can't wait anymore!

I found out on the 9th, when I posted I'd been admitted. Brett called me about 2 pm my time to let me know I'd been admitted. He's been really helpful the whole time, but a bit hard to get a hold of today so we can finish all the admission stuff he needed from me.

I found out on the 9th, when I posted I'd been admitted. Brett called me about 2 pm my time to let me know I'd been admitted. He's been really helpful the whole time, but a bit hard to get a hold of today so we can finish all the admission stuff he needed from me.

Ahh okay. That's good to know. Just curious, did you apply for financial aid? If so, did you get more information about it once you got your acceptance? I applied for and am hoping if I get accepted that it gets approved too. The tuition is ridiculously expensive!! There's no way I'm paying for it myself.

2 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

Ahh okay. That's good to know. Just curious, did you apply for financial aid? If so, did you get more information about it once you got your acceptance? I applied for and am hoping if I get accepted that it gets approved too. The tuition is ridiculously expensive!! There's no way I'm paying for it myself.

I just submitted my FAFSA today. I wanted to wait until I got admitted just in case I didn't get in.

4 minutes ago, amsullivan said:

I just submitted my FAFSA today. I wanted to wait until I got admitted just in case I didn't get in.

That's a good idea. I submitted mine a little earlier since I didn't know how long it would take to process. I didn't know it would take almost 2 months for an admissions decision from NYU either. I'm pretty excited about this program even though it's a 'live' program. I currently work full time (why I chose an online program) and live on the west coast, so I'm a bit worried about the time zone differences and having to log in at a specific time (maybe during work hours). I informed Brett about this information and he says it should be fine, so I decided to apply. If I get accepted, I really hope it's not too 'much' having to log in at a specific time and having to get used to the time difference for assignments/test deadlines.

1 minute ago, speechfan222 said:

That's a good idea. I submitted mine a little earlier since I didn't know how long it would take to process. I didn't know it would take almost 2 months for an admissions decision from NYU either. I'm pretty excited about this program even though it's a 'live' program. I currently work full time (why I chose an online program) and live on the west coast, so I'm a bit worried about the time zone differences and having to log in at a specific time (maybe during work hours). I informed Brett about this information and he says it should be fine, so I decided to apply. If I get accepted, I really hope it's not too 'much' having to log in at a specific time and having to get used to the time difference for assignments/test deadlines.

I'm in the same boat! I'm hoping I'll be able to do my classes on Mondays or Friday mornings when I'm off of work, because there's no way otherwise. Brett seemed confident I'd be able to schedule classes when they worked for me, so we'll see. I have a welcome call on Friday to go over the other details and meet with my student advisor. So many things happening this week!

Just now, amsullivan said:

I'm in the same boat! I'm hoping I'll be able to do my classes on Mondays or Friday mornings when I'm off of work, because there's no way otherwise. Brett seemed confident I'd be able to schedule classes when they worked for me, so we'll see. I have a welcome call on Friday to go over the other details and meet with my student advisor. So many things happening this week!

Oh that's good. I'm working Mon-Fri and am off weekends. If I have to log in during work, I should be able to. I just can't be sure as I don't know how busy it could get. Brett informed me that we would need to log in around 6-7pm my time. I was surprised it would be that late since its 8-9pm on the east coast. I didn't think there were live classes that late, but I suppose so. I'm hoping it will all work out and I get accepted. Getting VERY nervous and don't know much longer I can wait. Ahhhhhh!!

1 minute ago, speechfan222 said:

Oh that's good. I'm working Mon-Fri and am off weekends. If I have to log in during work, I should be able to. I just can't be sure as I don't know how busy it could get. Brett informed me that we would need to log in around 6-7pm my time. I was surprised it would be that late since its 8-9pm on the east coast. I didn't think there were live classes that late, but I suppose so. I'm hoping it will all work out and I get accepted. Getting VERY nervous and don't know much longer I can wait. Ahhhhhh!!

Wow, that is late. I'd definitely have to do mine Mondays/Fridays then. I'm shocked I didn't stress as much this time, I literally turned it in and went "well we'll find out!" haha. I live in Tucson! You?

Wow, that is late. I'd definitely have to do mine Mondays/Fridays then. I'm shocked I didn't stress as much this time, I literally turned it in and went "well we'll find out!" haha. I live in Tucson! You?

It's a live program, so we would have to log in at a specific time on certain days. No way!! Me too!! Good 'ol Tucson. That's funny!! :) 

Just now, speechfan222 said:

It's a live program, so we would have to log in at a specific time on certain days. No way!! Me too!! Good 'ol Tucson. That's funny!! :) 

I knew it was live, which I really like, but I didn't think they'd offer classes that late! That's awesome, haha. Let me know if you get in! It'd be nice to have someone to study with!

I knew it was live, which I really like, but I didn't think they'd offer classes that late! That's awesome, haha. Let me know if you get in! It'd be nice to have someone to study with!

Alright. I will let ya know. Cross your fingers for me! Haha. What part of town are you in and where are you working at? If you don't want to post it here, message me. Or if you don't want to say, it's okay. Just curious. It's a small world!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 1:11 PM, amsullivan said:

I found out yesterday I was admitted. My gpa was 3.4. My GRE stats are 151 verbal, 146 quant and 3.5 writing. 

Congratulations. Did you have speech pathology volunteer or work experience. I also have a 3.4 GPA - have not yet taken the GRE.

Edited by ashny

3 hours ago, Afternoonprogram said:

Hi -Does anyone know how long the on-campus clinicals are?  Is it 2 or 3 weeks or longer?  Do they provide/help with housing?  The website does not give a lot of specifics.  Thanks.

The clinicals are two visits, which are 4 day weekends each. They told me Thursday-Monday approx. They do not help with any housing, but will give info on hotels that have special pricing for NYU and within walking distance. I already plan on sharing a hotel room with another student.