NYU Steinhardt online distance program

On 1/1/2017 at 1:10 PM, ashny said:

Congratulations. Did you have speech pathology volunteer or work experience. I also have a 3.4 GPA - have not yet taken the GRE.

Yeah, I've been working as an SLP-A since June and have 7 years of ABA experience/working with children with varying disabilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also waiting, my application was submitted on 1/5. It took a while to get everything over though like my enrollment verification form, so I'm not sure when they started actually reviewing it.

23 hours ago, lacuna said:

I'm also waiting, my application was submitted on 1/5. It took a while to get everything over though like my enrollment verification form, so I'm not sure when they started actually reviewing it.

Same here with my GRE scores. I'm pretty nervous, but I'm trying to stay hopeful about a decision. It's reassuring to be able to vent out some of my anxiety on this forum. I'll cross my fingers for the both of us. 

15 hours ago, panda1991 said:

Same here with my GRE scores. I'm pretty nervous, but I'm trying to stay hopeful about a decision. It's reassuring to be able to vent out some of my anxiety on this forum. I'll cross my fingers for the both of us. 

Ahh good luck! I was worried about all of my stats, but I was admitted and started classes last week. 

On 1/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, panda1991 said:

Wishing you the best as well. Hope we hear back soon with good news! 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else been admitted but told some of their pre-reqs don't satisfy? Kind of annoying since I have 23 speech pre-reqs. 

Any information from those who are already in the program? How are the classes?

I have been admitted for Fall 2017 and although super excited I am a bit hesitant since it is so expensive (especially if I have to take pre-reqs through NYU) and my previous experience with online learning was more tedious instead of challenging.

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, 2bridges said:

Anyone else been admitted but told some of their pre-reqs don't satisfy? Kind of annoying since I have 23 speech pre-reqs. 

Any information from those who are already in the program? How are the classes?

I have been admitted for Fall 2017 and although super excited I am a bit hesitant since it is so expensive (especially if I have to take pre-reqs through NYU) and my previous experience with online learning was more tedious instead of challenging.

Thanks in advance!

Do you know anyone else who got in, who has the exact same courses as you? A girl I knew got one prereq that did not satisfy, but we had the same class so she argued it and it turned out she did not need to take out. If you have 23 courses completed, I would be shocked you needed much else. I have my second bachelors from usu, so I only need to take Neuro. I start in may! There is also a FB group now that is very helpful. Maybe ask on there! the link is posted above

I was admitted today and am super excited! I'm curious about the $500 deposit and deadline and am looking for more info. The other schools I applied to will not get back to me until April. Is it possible to submit this payment to hold my spot and ultimately not enroll, and is there a fee if I do that (withdraw after expressing intent to enroll)? 

On 2/8/2017 at 2:43 PM, Crystal Renee said:

Do you know anyone else who got in, who has the exact same courses as you? A girl I knew got one prereq that did not satisfy, but we had the same class so she argued it and it turned out she did not need to take out. If you have 23 courses completed, I would be shocked you needed much else. I have my second bachelors from usu, so I only need to take Neuro. I start in may! There is also a FB group now that is very helpful. Maybe ask on there! the link is posted above

Who can I dispute this with? My admissions advisor? 

I received my admit letter & Declaration of Intent but it doesn't make it clear what courses I am lacking. It lists four courses and two of which I am certain my prereqs cover. For example, it lists Intro to Audiology and Aural Rehab when I took both as separate classes. I think I will definitely have to take neuro and maybe science of language.

2 hours ago, lacuna said:

I was admitted today and am super excited! I'm curious about the $500 deposit and deadline and am looking for more info. The other schools I applied to will not get back to me until April. Is it possible to submit this payment to hold my spot and ultimately not enroll, and is there a fee if I do that (withdraw after expressing intent to enroll)? 

I'm in the same boat as you. Are you admitted for the Fall? I don't know if the $500 is refundable but I doubt it. I think we have to just pay the $500 and forfeit the money if we decide to go somewhere else. My deposit is due by 2/23, which is crazy, since they have given me less than a month to consider the offer. If you find out information about the deposit please let me know.

4 hours ago, 2bridges said:

Who can I dispute this with? My admissions advisor? 

I received my admit letter & Declaration of Intent but it doesn't make it clear what courses I am lacking. It lists four courses and two of which I am certain my prereqs cover. For example, it lists Intro to Audiology and Aural Rehab when I took both as separate classes. I think I will definitely have to take neuro and maybe science of language.

I would ask to talk to Alana Lovett. She was very helpful. I have not even spoken with my academic counselor yet, and I know she would be very helpful for this dispute. Her name is Erin. Tell them that you need to verify before you commit!

7 hours ago, 2bridges said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Are you admitted for the Fall? I don't know if the $500 is refundable but I doubt it. I think we have to just pay the $500 and forfeit the money if we decide to go somewhere else. My deposit is due by 2/23, which is crazy, since they have given me less than a month to consider the offer. If you find out information about the deposit please let me know.

Yeah, I am for fall. You just lose the money -- not refundable. Thankfully there's not an additional fund if you hold the spot and then ultimately don't go or something. But it is kind of ridiculous. I have the same deadline as you - so strange that they put this pressure knowing that people also are waiting to hear back from other schools. If I could have done it over I would have applied later to hope it would line up with all my other admissions decisions!

4 hours ago, lacuna said:

Yeah, I am for fall. You just lose the money -- not refundable. Thankfully there's not an additional fund if you hold the spot and then ultimately don't go or something. But it is kind of ridiculous. I have the same deadline as you - so strange that they put this pressure knowing that people also are waiting to hear back from other schools. If I could have done it over I would have applied later to hope it would line up with all my other admissions decisions!

Did NYU tell you some of your prereqs do not satisfy their requirement? Kind of a bummer since I wan't to start Masters level classes in September. 

7 hours ago, Crystal Renee said:

I would ask to talk to Alana Lovett. She was very helpful. I have not even spoken with my academic counselor yet, and I know she would be very helpful for this dispute. Her name is Erin. Tell them that you need to verify before you commit!

Thank you! I'll reach out to Alana. Is Erin head of the program? It sounds familiar. 

On 2/10/2017 at 4:31 AM, 2bridges said:

Did NYU tell you some of your prereqs do not satisfy their requirement? Kind of a bummer since I wan't to start Masters level classes in September. 

No not yet, but I have outside majors (cognitive science and language studies) so I know I don't meet all the foundation courses. I think I meet 2 or 3 of them and submitted syllabi but haven't heard back. I have the core courses required by ASHA which should all be approved. 

Also, I asked my admissions counselor if she would try to get my commit deadline pushed to the end of April  to wait to hear back from other schools, and she said she would try / it would probably not be an issue! I'll hear back next week, but there may be a way to avoid paying the deposit so soon.

On February 13, 2017 at 1:50 AM, lacuna said:

No not yet, but I have outside majors (cognitive science and language studies) so I know I don't meet all the foundation courses. I think I meet 2 or 3 of them and submitted syllabi but haven't heard back. I have the core courses required by ASHA which should all be approved. 

Also, I asked my admissions counselor if she would try to get my commit deadline pushed to the end of April  to wait to hear back from other schools, and she said she would try / it would probably not be an issue! I'll hear back next week, but there may be a way to avoid paying the deposit so soon.

I asked my admissions counselor to move my deadline to April. Thanks for the suggestion! I hope NYU says yes.

Did you receive your official documents from Natalie Galindo? In one of those there were "Foundational Courses" listed but it never explicitly said if these were the classes I was missing. Still waiting to hear back on that. 

Do they have rolling admissions? If I'm accepted into their program but all the spaces are filled up for the cohort that I applied for (May 2017), will they have me start with the next cohort...or will my application be rejected?

On 2/13/2017 at 1:50 AM, lacuna said:

Hi Lacuna, did your admissions advisor push back your deadline? My advisor told me she had to speak to the director Natalie but I still haven't been given an answer and the commit letter is due by this Thursday!

21 minutes ago, 2bridges said:

Hi Lacuna, did your admissions advisor push back your deadline? My advisor told me she had to speak to the director Natalie but I still haven't been given an answer and the commit letter is due by this Thursday!

Sorry to but in, but when I was accepted back in December I tried to get them to push back my deadline by 2 weeks and it was denied :( Sorry! Hope that helps.