NYU Steinhardt online distance program

24 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaBe82 said:

I am still waiting to find out their decision! When did you submit your application?

I submitted May 25, I believe it was--the last day for the early submission period.

Also- I should add, check your spam! That's where my acceptance email went.

Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by láadan

Same with me. Applied just before the deadline and was accepted two days ago. Still waiting to hear from Emerson too. 

@laadan: When did you apply to Emerson and when do you expect to hear? I'm trying to decide on NYU but they want a response ASAP and I'd like to hear from Emerson first. 

Edited by SLPhopeful2018

17 minutes ago, Nicolespeech said:

@SLPhopeful2018do you mind me asking what your stats were? I'm hopeful but just trying to get a feel for what others' stats are! Thanks!

Out of field GPA 3.02, Post Bac SLP Prep GPA 3.97, GRE Q. 152, V. 161 and AW 4.5 

Hope that helps! Good luck! 

Edited by SLPhopeful2018

3 hours ago, SLPhopeful2018 said:

Same with me. Applied just before the deadline and was accepted two days ago. Still waiting to hear from Emerson too. 

@laadan: When did you apply to Emerson and when do you expect to hear? I'm trying to decide on NYU but they want a response ASAP and I'd like to hear from Emerson first. 

I applied to Emerson a day after NYU and had my interview two weeks ago. I haven't heard back from Emerson either.

Yeah, NYU offered me a 5k scholarship that requires me committing to them by the end of next week- I think they do want to hear back fast.

Edited by láadan

Do folks here have any thoughts on NYU versus Emerson? Pros and cons you've  weighed? The programs seem fairly comparable to me for the most part, save for NYU being more established as an online program, having a more known brand name, and offering the Sweden study abroad option... but, of course, costing more.

12 hours ago, láadan said:

Do folks here have any thoughts on NYU versus Emerson? Pros and cons you've  weighed? The programs seem fairly comparable to me for the most part, save for NYU being more established as an online program, having a more known brand name, and offering the Sweden study abroad option... but, of course, costing more.

Congrats on the scholarship! Same thoughts here. Plus the fact that Emerson is still waiting for accreditation, although from what they've told us that shouldn't be a problem. The start date for NYU is Sept, whereas for Emerson it's January if you have all the pre-reqs. It's interesting when you look at the course breakdowns, it looks like Emerson has more credits within the 5 terms and NYU has 6 terms with less credits. But I'm planning on getting clarification on that because I think NYU's term lengths fluctuate with the courses depending on the number of credits per course. Does anyone know exactly how long the full time NYU program will take to complete (provided that you have all the foundations)? Emerson says 20 months. 

43 minutes ago, SLPhopeful2018 said:

Congrats on the scholarship! Same thoughts here. Plus the fact that Emerson is still waiting for accreditation, although from what they've told us that shouldn't be a problem. The start date for NYU is Sept, whereas for Emerson it's January if you have all the pre-reqs. It's interesting when you look at the course breakdowns, it looks like Emerson has more credits within the 5 terms and NYU has 6 terms with less credits. But I'm planning on getting clarification on that because I think NYU's term lengths fluctuate with the courses depending on the number of credits per course. Does anyone know exactly how long the full time NYU program will take to complete (provided that you have all the foundations)? Emerson says 20 months. 

Yeah, that's right, I just learned that on their webinar recently--that didn't bother me too much since I still need the foundational courses anyway, but it's still worth noting. They really are brand new.

I was assuming two years for NYU, since it's 6 terms. That's interesting with the course breakdown... It's also a quicker process with Emerson for the foundational coursework, actually. So they're faster overall. Where did you see that the term lengths fluctuate? 

5 hours ago, láadan said:

Yeah, that's right, I just learned that on their webinar recently--that didn't bother me too much since I still need the foundational courses anyway, but it's still worth noting. They really are brand new.

I was assuming two years for NYU, since it's 6 terms. That's interesting with the course breakdown... It's also a quicker process with Emerson for the foundational coursework, actually. So they're faster overall. Where did you see that the term lengths fluctuate? 

I know a girl in the program who explained that to me.  I talked to NYU today and they said 24 months full-time if there's no foundation coursework needed. So I do think you're right and Emerson is a bit faster. They also said that foundation courses can be accelerated so that they only take 7-8 weeks instead of a full term. You need all the pre-reqs? So I guess you would complete those prior to starting the master's? 

Did you attend the Emerson online info session? I attended and IMO it seemed well put together. Now it's just a waiting game to see if we get accepted :) 

Hello everyone!

I applied to Emerson back on April 27, had my interview via web on May 1st and just a received a call yesterday from my admission counselor that I was admitted into the online program!! I'm so excited!  He said an email will follow with more information with next steps .  For those interested in knowing my stats; 

my undergrad in COMD was 2.8 ( low i know)  I also have been working as an SLPA for 12 years, went back to school and got my MA in Early Childhood Education because I want to focus on early intervention; my GPA for my MA was a (3.87, much higher than undergrad)  Emerson also waived the GRE requirement for me because i already have a Masters .  I submitted what I thought was a strong personal essay , my resume as they requested and as an added bonus i also attached a cover letter to my admissions package.  My letters of recommendation were also strong , they came from former and current supervisors i still keep in contact with so i got to see the letters before they sent them.  I am very happy and proud because I feel that at Emerson they have a more holistic approach at viewing an applicant.  They look past GPA's and GRE scores.  I hope that this  motivates anyone that's on the fence about applying because of low undergrad GPA's.. Dreams do come true!  Keep working for it and eventually when the time is right the door will open :)  

On 6/21/2018 at 1:36 PM, SLPhopeful2018 said:

I know a girl in the program who explained that to me.  I talked to NYU today and they said 24 months full-time if there's no foundation coursework needed. So I do think you're right and Emerson is a bit faster. They also said that foundation courses can be accelerated so that they only take 7-8 weeks instead of a full term. You need all the pre-reqs? So I guess you would complete those prior to starting the master's? 

Did you attend the Emerson online info session? I attended and IMO it seemed well put together. Now it's just a waiting game to see if we get accepted :) 

Yep, I need all of the prereqs. If I don't do it through my MS, it's a two year post bacc... so a full term isn't really that scary to me, haha. You have all of yours already? I did attend their online info session! I agree, it seems pretty solid, especially given how new it is.

10 hours ago, láadan said:

Yep, I need all of the prereqs. If I don't do it through my MS, it's a two year post bacc... so a full term isn't really that scary to me, haha. You have all of yours already? I did attend their online info session! I agree, it seems pretty solid, especially given how new it is. 

I see. Yes one term is awesome compared to 2 years! It looks like they are starting to notify students about Emerson (from what I see in the results page), so my fingers are crossed that we'll hear soon. NYU said that once I'm enrolled they will determine if I need any pre-reqs. I believe I have most but it does look like there's at least one, maybe two courses that I'm missing. It will just depend on whether they believe the information was covered within the courses that I took. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, láadan said:

Just got a call from Emerson too, accepted! Hopefully everyone's decisions are coming out soon!

Congratulations! Does that mean you've decided on Emerson? I was accepted as well, just waiting for my admit package. I'm still going back and forth between the two.

5 hours ago, SLPhopeful2018 said:

Congratulations! Does that mean you've decided on Emerson? I was accepted as well, just waiting for my admit package. I'm still going back and forth between the two.

Congrats!! Oh, I just meant I got the call and was accepted into the program! I think I'm going with NYU, since it's more established.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:53 PM, valro425 said:

Congratulations Laadan!

Where are you from?  I'm in Los Angles County.. I also got accepted to Emerson  :)  hopefully we could connect and start some sort of page on FB. 

@valro425 I am also in LA County, and will be starting Emerson for my pre-reqs in the fall!  Would love to connect ?

• 4 weeks later...

So I POURED over this website looking for information from anyone about the speech@NYU program and found nothing useful, so I am here to help those of you who are a bit on the neurotic side like me, and let you know that I have been accepted into the Speech@NYU program and I am wrapping up my first term. I would be happy to answer questions you may have. Yes, there are live lectures and there are lectures that are taped that you watch before the live class. The live lectures are only once per week for an hour. Not too bad if you ask me. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi! I was just accepted for this fall! I applied for the full time program but after everything I hear, I’m considering switching to the part time track. Are you full time or part time?

On 7/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, Kelleysan said:

So I POURED over this website looking for information from anyone about the speech@NYU program and found nothing useful, so I am here to help those of you who are a bit on the neurotic side like me, and let you know that I have been accepted into the Speech@NYU program and I am wrapping up my first term. I would be happy to answer questions you may have. Yes, there are live lectures and there are lectures that are taped that you watch before the live class. The live lectures are only once per week for an hour. Not too bad if you ask me. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi! I was just accepted for this fall! I applied for the full time program but after everything I hear, I’m considering switching to the part time track. Are you full time or part time?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/22/2016 at 12:06 PM, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

I was actually rejected shortly after posting this :( I knew I was a weak applicant when applying but i figured since they were a newer program they would be more open to accepting applicants like me, but apparently not. I think I'm going to try and raise my GRE scores, get a job in a speech and/or hearing related field and apply to schools next application cycle. Best of luck to you both! 

Hi,

Can I ask you what your stats were? (pm me)