Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2016 at 5:13 PM, vpup66 said:

Where is everyone debating on applying this year? This is my first year applying for my MSW!

I am considering applying to Laurier and York, last year applied for them also as well as U of T and was unsuccessful. Hoping I have a better chance this year, last year I bit off more than I could chew I think and applied while completing my undergrad, thus did not have final grades at time of application. Going in this year with experience in the field as well as better GPA, looking forward to seeing other folk's goals for applying and maybe a few pointers from those who got in last year!

• 2 weeks later...

Applying while completing your undergrad must have been super challenging. Glad you are applying again!! I am sure the added experience and boost in GPA will definitely help!!

I actually just started contacting my references and started my applications (U of T, Laurier, Carleton, UBC). Trying my best to stay on top of things so I don't procrastinate and leave it for last minute haha

Hi Everyone, 

I guess since this thread has slowly begun to start up again, and It's almost that time to start thinking about our applications, I will share my experience and hope others can do the same.  I was waitlisted last year for the 2 year-MSW program at UofT. It was the only program I had applied to. 

I have my Honours BSc in Psychology. My GPA in my last year was 3.9. I got an A in research methods, and an A+ on my honours thesis. 
I currently work as a research assistant at a chronic pain clinic, but aside from our own research, we also take on clinical trials in various areas (nicotine dependence, asthma, diabetes, etc). Before this position, which I started in April, I spent 5 years working at a retirement home, as a front desk concierge. Prior to this, I was a camp counsellor for 2 years. I'd like to think that working with both seniors and children has strengthened my abilities to be patient (haha!). 

I have volunteer experience at:

• Bellwood Health Services (300 hours) - presently volunteer here
    • this is my most substantial experience in terms of volunteering, as it is an addiction and rehabilitation facility not only for substance use and alcoholism but for eating disorders, sex addiction and gambling addiction, allowing me to experience addiction in a multi-faceted lens. I hope to be able to get my MSW and use it to practice addiction counselling in minority populations.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (250 hours)
  • Greenview Lodge Senior Care Residence (200 hours)
  • Toronto General Hospital - eating disorder outpatient clinic (50 hours)
  • Pride Toronto (12 hours)
  • Town of Richmond Hill (300 hours)

I have practicum experience from my undergrad (about 84 hours), where I was partnered with a child with a DSM-5 diagnosis in a classroom setting, to provide peer mentoring and assistance with school-related activities. 

I believe the missing piece to my puzzle last year was that I had not had any research experience and had yet to finish my thesis. I was truly upset and in shock for a few weeks after realizing that I most likely wouldn't be getting in that application session. So my advice to those applying straight from undergrad, as I had, do not take anything but acceptance as a failure, take it as a gift and as a lesson. A year off to work, strengthen your application and have some time to yourself is not a bad thing (trust me!!!). 

Having said this - good luck to everyone this coming year - and I hope this thread will be as active as last year. It was nice sharing the stresses of applying with similar minded individuals. 

Edited by MSW-hopeful-2016

I'll share my experience too. This is my first time applying which I find nerve racking since I have no idea what to expect.

I graduated with honours with a degree in Criminology and minor in Psychology. I got an A- in research methods and an A in statistics.

I would say I have about... 4,000 hours working at a youth mental health and addiction centre. 90% of my time at the centre has been as an addiction counsellor. The other 10% was focused on supporting research projects on retention and flexible length of stay.

I have about 1000 hours doing a placement with the RCMP. I did research on their mental health and rehabilitation programs.

I have about 200 hours of volunteer work for a organization supporting women going through the legal system (connected them to different services).

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it's enough!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE APPLYING!! :)

Edited by vpup66

Hello everyone, 

This will be my third year applying! I graduated in spring 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts Honours Psychology, and throughout my undergraduate degree I gained a lot of volunteer experience through committees, societies, and social services, and I also held two paid teaching and research assistant jobs. In Spring 2014, I applied to various 2-year MSW and 1 BSW program, and ended up being waitlisted for the 2yr MSW at UofT and accepted into the HBSW at Lakehead! Last Fall while at Lakehead I only had time to apply to one school, so I reapplied for the UofT Advanced Standing MSW, and of course was waitlisted again. :( 

This year, I plan to apply to several masters of social work programs and perhaps some Master of Arts Child and Youth Care programs.

Therefore, the social work program I plan to apply to this year are: Ryerson University, McMaster University, University of Toronto, University of Victoria BC, University of Manitoba, and Memorial University. 

What universities is everyone else applying to? 

Good luck this year! 

Hi everyone!

This is my second time applying for MSW program. I graduated in June 2014 from university of Waterloo with an honors psychology degree. I have research experience while I was an undergraduate. Since then I have been working as a case manager and a rehabilitation facilitator. I have experience working with individual with addictions, acquired brain injury and developmental disabilities. I am planning on applying to UFT, Laurier and Ryerson.

Good luck for this year!

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, jaylynn said:

Anyone trying to get their applications going but OUAC won't let you? 

Honestly so frustrated! 

Which schools are you applying to? UofT uses the SGS portal not OUAC. That's about all that I know. 

Would love some feedback on applying to York for the 2-Year MSW program. It is so highly competitive, is it even worth it? I meet the requirements for the program (B+ average, 2+ years of work experience as well as a SSW diploma) but I am anxious to strain my references for this... any thoughts? Also applying to UoT.

Hi everyone!

So this is my first year applying - I've decided on applying to both U of T and Carleton for the 1-year Advanced Standing programs. Getting nervous about it already..

I graduated with my BSW earlier this year, where I did placements wit h the CMHA and a school division. I'm currently working full time for the WRHA (public health for you Ontario people) for a mental health program. I've previously worked for the government's social assistance program ~ 1600 hours, and have volunteered with a lot of mental health not for profits organizing awareness events (~ 300 hours I think), but also volunteering on suicide hotlines ~500 hours. I also have some research experience as I'm helping my friend with her masters, but it's not my own research so thats a bit of a downfall I think.

I went for a tour at U of T a few months ago and they recommended I join a board - only problem is I'm young and who wants young people on their boards?! So I'm working on that but I doubt it'll happen before it's time to get my CV in...

Hoping this is enough but who knows! It's helpful reading everyone else's experience :) How many schools are most people applying to??

Good luck to us --

On 10/13/2016 at 0:22 PM, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

Which schools are you applying to? UofT uses the SGS portal not OUAC. That's about all that I know. 

It was for Laurier. Turns out OUAC was just under maintenance much longer than expected. Thankfully up and running now!

On 9/12/2016 at 1:37 PM, SW_Student said:

Hello everyone, 

This will be my third year applying! I graduated in spring 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts Honours Psychology, and throughout my undergraduate degree I gained a lot of volunteer experience through committees, societies, and social services, and I also held two paid teaching and research assistant jobs. In Spring 2014, I applied to various 2-year MSW and 1 BSW program, and ended up being waitlisted for the 2yr MSW at UofT and accepted into the HBSW at Lakehead! Last Fall while at Lakehead I only had time to apply to one school, so I reapplied for the UofT Advanced Standing MSW, and of course was waitlisted again. :( 

This year, I plan to apply to several masters of social work programs and perhaps some Master of Arts Child and Youth Care programs.

Therefore, the social work program I plan to apply to this year are: Ryerson University, McMaster University, University of Toronto, University of Victoria BC, University of Manitoba, and Memorial University. 

What universities is everyone else applying to? 

Good luck this year! 

Kind of off topic, but I am applying to Lakehead's program this year and was wondering if you could provide insight into the application process! For the references, do you send the forms to your choices and then receive them back and send them to the school? The website was kind of unclear but it seems they are including the references in the application package we are supposed to send in. 

Thanks for any support you can give on this! 

Hey everyone! 

I am seeking to apply for an MSW program for the fall of 2017. Currently, I am looking at UofT, Laurier, York, Windsor and Carleton. I am just wondering if anybody can provide me with advice on any of these MSW programs? I graduated in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts Honours Psychology degree and have quite a bit of experience with research as well as field work, working as a developmental support worker and a crisis intervention volunteer. I am looking for a program that has a strong emphasis on practical experience. I would like to narrow my list down to 3 schools but I am finding it challenging to do so as I don't know many people who have actually completed these programs! Any advice you have would be so very appreciated! 

Thanks in advance! 

Hi guys!  Just wanted to drop in and say best of luck to everyone applying to their MSW this year.  I went through it last year and I know how stressful it can be!  I am currently in my first year of the 2 year MSW at UBC Okanagan.  I highly recommend the program, especially if you are interested in clinical social work.  The class sizes are fairly small (cohort is 35 people) and the profs are awesome.  Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions!  

Good luck! 

Edited by katkatkat
typo

On ‎2016‎/‎10‎/‎17 at 11:28 AM, ssbbaker said:

Hi everyone!

So this is my first year applying - I've decided on applying to both U of T and Carleton for the 1-year Advanced Standing programs. Getting nervous about it already..

I graduated with my BSW earlier this year, where I did placements wit h the CMHA and a school division. I'm currently working full time for the WRHA (public health for you Ontario people) for a mental health program. I've previously worked for the government's social assistance program ~ 1600 hours, and have volunteered with a lot of mental health not for profits organizing awareness events (~ 300 hours I think), but also volunteering on suicide hotlines ~500 hours. I also have some research experience as I'm helping my friend with her masters, but it's not my own research so thats a bit of a downfall I think.

I went for a tour at U of T a few months ago and they recommended I join a board - only problem is I'm young and who wants young people on their boards?! So I'm working on that but I doubt it'll happen before it's time to get my CV in...

Hoping this is enough but who knows! It's helpful reading everyone else's experience :) How many schools are most people applying to??

Good luck to us --

I'm also applying to Advanced Standing programs and am really interested in Carleton's Direct Intervention stream as well! In lurking previous years of this forum it seems most of the posts are very GTA-centric (which makes sense based on population) but I'm really curious to learn more other clinically-oriented programs (e.g., Calgary, UBCO, and Western who recently restructured their program). I realize *all* schools are competitive but any ideas on which ones might have better admission stats? I've already contacted references, I just need to make some final decisions re: schools A$AP so I can send out the invites.

Hey everyone! 

I was part of this thread for the 2016 applications last year and found it really helpful to hear from other applicants and MSW students. I applied to U of T, Laurier, and Windsor, and I am now in my first year in the 2-year program at U of T! If anyone has any questions about the application process or the program itself, feel free to message me! I know applying and waiting can be super stressful so I am happy to help in any way I can!

Good luck!!! 

Hey all, 

For those applying to Windsor's Advanced Standing program, is anyone else familiar with how eGAS works? 

It says my references won't be notified until I submit everything else, but what if I can't complete everything before December 1 (the deadline). 

My mind is spinning with confusion. 

On 10/20/2016 at 3:29 PM, CG_MSW said:

Kind of off topic, but I am applying to Lakehead's program this year and was wondering if you could provide insight into the application process! For the references, do you send the forms to your choices and then receive them back and send them to the school? The website was kind of unclear but it seems they are including the references in the application package we are supposed to send in. 

Thanks for any support you can give on this! 

For sure! That is exactly right! You want to send your references the appropriate forms and then receive them back so you can send your references (in sealed signed envelopes) in the same package with your application, so it is all together in one. Any other questions, feel free to private message me and I can help you out with anything I can! 

On 10/23/2016 at 3:48 PM, katkatkat said:

Hi guys!  Just wanted to drop in and say best of luck to everyone applying to their MSW this year.  I went through it last year and I know how stressful it can be!  I am currently in my first year of the 2 year MSW at UBC Okanagan.  I highly recommend the program, especially if you are interested in clinical social work.  The class sizes are fairly small (cohort is 35 people) and the profs are awesome.  Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions!  

Good luck! 

Hey there! I'm interested in the UBCO program because of its clinical focus. I have 2 quick questions:

1) Does the program run through the summer? I saw that it is divided into 3 terms but was not sure if the summer term would end in August or June or some other time.

2) The schedule on the website looks like the practicum ends and then you take an additional 3-4 electives afterward? Just trying to clarify.

P.S. I would be applying for advanced standing. Thanks!