Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

22 hours ago, Newfor2017 said:

So I'm very new to this forum and have only been reviewing posts for the last couple weeks.  This is my first post. I've applied to Windsors advanced standing MSW program and I know from past forum posts some applicants have already received both positive and negative decisions on their applications to this exact program.  What I'm baffled by is my application still shows as "in process".  No idea what goes on behind the scenes with admissions and who gets notified when or in what order but any insights that can be shared would be appreciated.  Even if I was slated for maybe 2nd round acceptance, you'd think I'd receive some type of waitlist status.  Thanks and best of luck to those waiting for answers :)

Hey I applied to the 2 year MSW at Windsor and mine also says in process. I was wondering what your average was for the past 2 years. Mine was a B+(77%) :( not the most compettitive 

1 hour ago, moh230 said:

Hey I applied to the 2 year MSW at Windsor and mine also says in process. I was wondering what your average was for the past 2 years. Mine was a B+(77%) :( not the most compettitive 

My last 20 courses (2 years) had an average of 79.7 percent, while my Cumulative gpa was 82.5.  I have 10 years experience in the field and am hoping that will compensate for my average not being as high as I would've liked.  77 percent is still a few marks over the minimum required and I think they weigh the personal statements, references and experience quite heavily, it's not just about grades.  Maybe there are other parts of your application that will set you apart :) I'm curious how the numbers admitted for the two year program impact those trying for the one year program, if at all.  Advanced standing program begins in may-how about yours? Applicants to my program were told they'd have an answer in January, but that was delayed to "early February". And here we are almost mid month. :( when we're you expecting to hear by?

5 hours ago, Newfor2017 said:

My last 20 courses (2 years) had an average of 79.7 percent, while my Cumulative gpa was 82.5.  I have 10 years experience in the field and am hoping that will compensate for my average not being as high as I would've liked.  77 percent is still a few marks over the minimum required and I think they weigh the personal statements, references and experience quite heavily, it's not just about grades.  Maybe there are other parts of your application that will set you apart :) I'm curious how the numbers admitted for the two year program impact those trying for the one year program, if at all.  Advanced standing program begins in may-how about yours? Applicants to my program were told they'd have an answer in January, but that was delayed to "early February". And here we are almost mid month. :( when we're you expecting to hear by?

I am fairly sure the numbers admitted for the two year program will have no impact on the advanced standing program. I think they are separate and admit a certain limit per program. I am also only 23 years old so my experience isn't the best. I have been working part time for over a year now as a social support worker and have been working for the past 2-3 years as a mental health guard in various hospitals across the GTA. Also I am really surprised that the advanced standing applicants start in may. That seems very early, hopefully you'll hear something from them soon! I am expected to hear by mid-late march. 

22 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Hi everyone,

A quick explanation of the moderation decision. When the problematic behaviours were made aware to us in this thread, there were 10+ pages of material. We determined that there was a lot of inappropriate behaviour from multiple parties. Although one user may have started provoking people, the response to it was also inappropriate. However, we decided to not delete any posts nor change any reputation scores of this user so that the record may speak for itself on what is and isn't accepted by the community. 

Because the record clearly shows what the community thought of potentially bad advice and/or incorrect statements, the moderators asked the community to move on from this history and continue the discussion on other issues. There is no point discussing further whether someone is a good person or not, this is not what TheGradCafe is for. A few users decided to continue talking about other users. A 24 hour suspension was given as a "cool down" period. 

When another user posts something that you disagree with, or you think is wrong, please respond with your counter-argument. Or, you can choose to just ignore it since you have no obligation to correct anyone. It is not appropriate to respond with an attack on the person's real life character. Many users seem to think that incorrect statements should not be posted at all. This is not the spirit of our forums and moderation does not mean we require everyone to be correct. If you are attacked by another user, please use the "Report post" button to make the moderation team aware and do not engage in the same behaviour. 

Hope this applied to the moderator that took that encouraged the conversation as well. 

Anyways, to stay on topic, MSWs are cool.

Edited by tnt92

14 hours ago, TatorTot said:

Just an FYI MSW&MD is YEWANG.  He has changed his name.  Please be careful people. 

wtf? thanks for pointing that out. noted.

okay people, I propose we get back to discussing applications and stuff and ignore YEWANG/MSW&MD, clearly they're just a troll (who says they hate clinical social work but they're getting an MD?) for newcomers to this thread, beware of this individual and let's move the discussion on. hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far. thanks to everyone who spoke out against it so the we can continue to keep this a safe space to talk about our applications. this time of year is very stressful. if you're stressed about acceptance rates, not hearing anything back yet, and the strength of your application, remember that most schools are looking at applications holistically - you have something special to offer the field if you are truly working towards this goal. you may be weak in one area, but you do have strengths in another. as wishingonuoft mentioned earlier, don't lose hope. it might take a few years to get in somewhere, but it's possible <3

only a few weeks left until some of us start hearing back from UofT and other programs :) 

14 hours ago, moh230 said:

Hey, I think you are above the GPA requirement for U of Windsor, I was looking at that one as the advanced standing is geared towards professionals working in the field and their class times are a bit more flexible in that way.  So I think it comes down to your work experiences, references and personal statement that will set you apart.  Some programs the GPA may be a top requirement, but for other programs I think they look at work experience, how good of a fit you are for the program and then also if you have a financial plan to pay the fees (more in the practical sense).  I hope you hear back soon!  I think we will all start hearing back this coming week or the next either way!  

Edited by 2017hoping

I didn't realize the University of Calgary (LHS specialization) program starts in the summer (until recently when I've been checking my account status daily, lol) - does anyone have some insight into the time frames for this program as I"m sure for a summer start we would hear back earlier.  

Despite several warnings, many users in this thread continued to stray off topic and comment on other users instead of their posts. To be absolutely clear, it is inappropriate to write posts to discuss another user's character. 

Here are some example DON'TS: 

- Don't write "User X writes bad posts and you should not listen to them."

- Don't write "User X is a sad person who lives in XYZ city so of course they will hate on ABC city."

Instead, if you find another user's content inaccurate or objectionable, DO:

- Do report offensive and inappropriate content to moderators

- Do respond (if you wish) to the content, not the user, e.g. "I don't agree with User X's statement that the Vancouver Canucks are the worst hockey team ever because ...."

There is no need to warn other users against another user. We do not accept "witch hunts" or "ganging up" against another user.  You can assume that new users are capable enough to read through the posts and decide for themselves what value they want to assign to any specific posts. If you have further questions, please PM me.

Because this thread seems to be unable to stay on appropriate topics, it will now be locked. If you want to continue the conversation without discussing other users, please start a new thread.