Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

29 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

I was wait-listed last year as well, re-applying again, and I know UofT out of all MSW schools weighs pretty heavily on research experience. They are extremely big on evidence based practice and on-going research in the field of social work. 

I had 0 research experience when applying last year (was mid-way through my thesis). Now I have completed my thesis and have been working full time as an RA so hopefully have more luck this time around. 

A friend of mine is in the 2nd year of the program now and she had about 300 hours of RA experience and an A+ on her thesis. So it seems like that was enough to get her in (plus a good amount of volunteer experience and a 3.8 gpa).

I do have a friend who was accepted into the advance standing program at U of T with zero research experience.  She was initially waitlisted and then was accepted into the part time program.  I have no research experience either, so I'm just hoping my grades, experience, research methods grade, references and statement pull through for me. :S

13 minutes ago, caitiko said:

I do have a friend who was accepted into the advance standing program at U of T with zero research experience.  She was initially waitlisted and then was accepted into the part time program.  I have no research experience either, so I'm just hoping my grades, experience, research methods grade, references and statement pull through for me. :S

also - the acceptance rate for advanced standing is close to 1/3 (33%). 
For the 2 year program it is closer to 11%. 

much more competitive for the 2 year. hence why they do weigh research experience more heavily. 

10 hours ago, rabschaud said:

Hey! How much formal research experience did you have when you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi!

Not a lot! I had taken some research courses and then in my final year of undergrad I was a research assistant in a lab and also did 2 directed labs (like practical research courses), I did not do a thesis.

:)

Hi everyone. I am applying to the UofC's MSW LHS (leadership in human services) specialization for Summer 2017. I have tried to get more information about the number of applicants that get accepted into the specialization but have had no luck. Has anyone applied to this program and been accepted?

1 hour ago, rabschaud said:

UofT applicants! Is anyone having trouble checking these boxes? I tried everything but just can't get them to check!

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 8.23.27 PM.png

Go into developer mode and (un)select "protect form". This might be why it was preventing you from checking them (I had a similar problem with a word doc from WLU)

4 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

Go into developer mode and (un)select "protect form". This might be why it was preventing you from checking them (I had a similar problem with a word doc from WLU)

it has a password for some reason, which i don't know. but thank you!

Hey all! I'm currently a 2nd year MSW student at Laurier. I also applied and was accepted to a couple other programs like Carleton, York, and U of T (off the waitlist). Also the HBSW program in Thunderbay. If any of you have questions, feel free to pick my brain. Good luck this year! :D

Edited by reposae

13 hours ago, rabschaud said:

UofT applicants! Is anyone having trouble checking these boxes? I tried everything but just can't get them to check!

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 8.23.27 PM.png

Hey @rabschaud, the only way I could get around this was by uploading it to google drive and editing it as a PDF using DocHub. 

On 12/12/2016 at 6:58 AM, reposae said:

Hey all! I'm currently a 2nd year MSW student at Laurier. I also applied and was accepted to a couple other programs like Carleton, York, and U of T (off the waitlist). Also the HBSW program in Thunderbay. If any of you have questions, feel free to pick my brain. Good luck this year! :D

Did you also apply to the Lakehead HBSW in Orillia?

On 12/12/2016 at 6:58 AM, reposae said:

Hey @reposae! Do you feel like Laurier leans towards selecting a certain type of applicant? Or do they look towards people who are well-rounded in general? 

Also what factors made you decide to go to Laurier instead of the other schools that you got into?

Thanks so much :)

good luck to everyone applying. I took the Lakehead HBSW in orillia if anyone has any questions and I currently in the 1 year MSW at Ryerson. I am shocked at how much I love Ryerson considering I was all UofT. 

Edited by MSW-UofT

1 hour ago, tnt92 said:

Waiting for one more reference for UofT... submitted everything weeks ago (I live/work on a First Nations reserve with spotty internet -- had to be safe!)

me too! hope "by december 15th" means before 11:59PM on december 15th!

Everything is now in for UofT!!!! Can we share stats now since most of us (for UofT) have submitted?

I graduated with an HBA from UofT in Criminology & Sociolegal Studies and Equity & Social Justice Studies, with a 4.0 GPA in my senior level courses. Approximately 6500 hours in human service organizations since 2011. 

During undergrad I was a part of many student (marginalized) groups/organizations/unions and did many extra curricular activities. Accomplishments include organizing a 1000+ event to promote community engagement, leading to being awarded for my contributions to the university community; Being 1 of 10 university students selected to participate in an international experiential-learning trip in Belize to live/learn from two indigenous groups; Creating a video assignment and having it be requested for a conference this year by a UofT professor, and incorporated into a course in a university in Florida.

After graduation, I was a summer associate at a non profit focused on teacher retention in First Nations communities in northern Ontario (3 months); a teaching assistant for special education and middle school students in a fly-in First Nations community (8-9 months); currently a social counsellor at the same First Nations community (10 months). I have been volunteering for various activities on the reserve (Jr. Girl's Hockey coach, Sr. Girls' Group organizer and facilitator, Jr. Boys' Baseball general manager,  and more). 

My references include my current employer (the principal), and two program directors/professors at UofT. 

My downfall is my lack of research experience (kind of). I did some research work for the non-profit, but it wasn't a very long contract. My fallback plan is to attain a BSW from UWaterloo (10 month program) and try again for an MSW. 

What about you guys? I'm super curious as to the (friendly) competition!

36 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

Everything is now in for UofT!!!! Can we share stats now since most of us (for UofT) have submitted?

I graduated with an HBA from UofT in Criminology & Sociolegal Studies and Equity & Social Justice Studies, with a 4.0 GPA in my senior level courses. Approximately 6500 hours in human service organizations since 2011. 

During undergrad I was a part of many student (marginalized) groups/organizations/unions and did many extra curricular activities. Accomplishments include organizing a 1000+ event to promote community engagement, leading to being awarded for my contributions to the university community; Being 1 of 10 university students selected to participate in an international experiential-learning trip in Belize to live/learn from two indigenous groups; Creating a video assignment and having it be requested for a conference this year by a UofT professor, and incorporated into a course in a university in Florida.

After graduation, I was a summer associate at a non profit focused on teacher retention in First Nations communities in northern Ontario (3 months); a teaching assistant for special education and middle school students in a fly-in First Nations community (8-9 months); currently a social counsellor at the same First Nations community (10 months). I have been volunteering for various activities on the reserve (Jr. Girl's Hockey coach, Sr. Girls' Group organizer and facilitator, Jr. Boys' Baseball general manager,  and more). 

My references include my current employer (the principal), and two program directors/professors at UofT. 

My downfall is my lack of research experience (kind of). I did some research work for the non-profit, but it wasn't a very long contract. My fallback plan is to attain a BSW from UWaterloo (10 month program) and try again for an MSW. 

What about you guys? I'm super curious as to the (friendly) competition!

Sounds like you have incredible experience, especially with First Nations communities! That's great. 

I believe I shared mine earlier in the forum but I can do so again. I was wait-listed at UofT last year, while still completing my last year of undergrad. I had no thesis mark in and no research experience.  

I have a 3.9 GPA in my last year of senior level courses, with approximately 4500 hours working in gerontology (spent 5 years working in a retirement home all through university), along with 1000 volunteer hours in the mental health and addiction realm of things. My main focus is mental illness and co-morbid addiction problems, especially in marginalized populations (LGBTQ+, etc). I spent 6-7 years battling a nicotine addiction which sparked my initial interest for working in substance use, and have never looked back since. I've spent the last year and a half volunteering as an intake coordinator and addiction counselor at Bellwood Health Services, a rehab facility for a variety of addiction issues, as well as disordered eating, gambling addiction and SA.

I have volunteered with the Canadian Mental Health Association as a lead coach for one of their programs targeted to youth who have been in trouble with the law for substance use and disordered behavior, as well as participated in various community outreach events with the CMHA. 

My undergraduate honors thesis was focused on adult ADHD severity and the correlation to an increased nicotine dependence severity. I made sure to tie in what I was researching to my interests and goals for the future. 

Finally - I am currently working as a research assistant at a chronic pain clinic (since April 2016).  I am involved in various tasks including data analysis, patient screening and IRB proposal drafts. Although the research I'm doing isn't related to my area of interest in social work, it still helps me grasp the importance behind things like evidence-based practice. 

I'd love to hear other peoples experiences' as well, now that majority of us have submitted our apps. 

Why so many applicants only want go to U of T ? You may think  that U of T is affiliated with many hospitals in Toronto which can increase your chance of get a clinical placement in a health care institution; the truth is that hospital placement is highly competitive, and it is really not about which university you go to but the people you know from hospitals. Many of my York/Ryerson MSW  friends, including myself didn't attend U of T, we were still able to secure our placement in some of the best hospitals in Toronto. While many of my U of T MSW friends ended up in shelters , food banks and storefront community agencies ( nothing wrong with these places, but you probably wouldn't get much clinical experiences from these places). My point is that schools don't guarantee you a good placement, you need to utilize your social capitals and make the best out of your field education experience.

Pls, most employers do not care  about which university you graduated from, but what skills you have developed via your work/placement experience.

1 hour ago, YWEANG said:

Why so many applicants only want go to U of T ? You may think  that U of T is affiliated with many hospitals in Toronto which can increase your chance of get a clinical placement in a health care institution; the truth is that hospital placement is highly competitive, and it is really not about which university you go to but the people you know from hospitals. Many of my York/Ryerson MSW  friends, including myself didn't attend U of T, we were still able to secure our placement in some of the best hospitals in Toronto. While many of my U of T MSW friends ended up in shelters , food banks and storefront community agencies ( nothing wrong with these places, but you probably wouldn't get much clinical experiences from these places). My point is that schools don't guarantee you a good placement, you need to utilize your social capitals and make the best out of your field education experience.

Pls, most employers do not care  about which university you graduated from, but what skills you have developed via your work/placement experience.

I do not believe anyone has spoken about only going to UofT, but it has been a major topic because the deadline was December 15th. Obviously with WLU having a later deadline, those conversations will surely follow. If you are so curious as to what makes people apply to UofT, perhaps phrase your question less confrontationally because it is hard not to take offence. We, as in those who are applying to UofT, are not one dimensional and I am sure that placement opportunities are not the only reason for many applications--but is obviously a factor for some. Personally, it is more financially reasonable (will be able to stay with family), accessible (it is on a subway line), and comfortable (completed my undergrad there).

As a note, if you had genuine concern for those applying to UofT, perhaps they should have been voiced before the deadline rather than making individuals feel attacked for a choice they've already made. Just my two cents.