Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

13 hours ago, MSW.hopeful said:

Checked the FAQ in the website for the MSW Calgary option and it says when to expect results....:( 

Our goal is to notify all applicants about the outcome of her/his application by the end of March. Admission results are sent to applicants via email. 

I've been having trouble finding estimated decision dates for many schools! U of T's website says anywhere from mid-Feb to mid-April, which I already knew was the time period for decisions for most MSW programs (if not all) :P Does anyone know estimated decision times for specific schools? 

23 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I've been having trouble finding estimated decision dates for many schools! U of T's website says anywhere from mid-Feb to mid-April, which I already knew was the time period for decisions for most MSW programs (if not all) :P Does anyone know estimated decision times for specific schools? 

Based on last year for UofT, advanced standing usually goes out early to mid February, and 2 year MSW start rolling out the second week of March (this year's equivalent would be March 6th because last year it was March 7th) and they go out in waves.

3 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

I received a confirmation email  on Feb 13th from York MSW program;  I got U of T MSW admission package via mail  on Feb 21th.  I was in one year program. 

1 hour ago, YWEANG said:

I received a confirmation email  on Feb 13th from York MSW program;  I got U of T MSW admission package via mail  on Feb 21th.  I was in one year program. 

Not too much longer for those of us who applied for advanced standing then.  The waiting is starting to mess with my head.

20 hours ago, MSW.hopeful said:

Checked the FAQ in the website for the MSW Calgary option and it says when to expect results....:( 

Our goal is to notify all applicants about the outcome of her/his application by the end of March. Admission results are sent to applicants via email. 

I see you have a BSW - I know some people were accepted into the 1 year program at Calgary as early as Feb. 12th last year so the wait may not actually be all that long! :)

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

Just want to put this out there with people who understand... 

I can't believe we have to wait about another two months for 2 year programs!! The anticipation is already insane! 

TECHNICALLY 6 weeks for UofT (trying to make it sound less worse than it is, lol)

15 hours ago, tnt92 said:

TECHNICALLY 6 weeks for UofT (trying to make it sound less worse than it is, lol)

I've been trying to make it sound like as little time as possible in my mind too! But I'm stuck in this weird bind where on the one hand I just want to know about the results of my applications, but on the other hand I am in the final semester of my undergrad and trying not to wish time away! Such a weird place to be in 

59 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I've been trying to make it sound like as little time as possible in my mind too! But I'm stuck in this weird bind where on the one hand I just want to know about the results of my applications, but on the other hand I am in the final semester of my undergrad and trying not to wish time away! Such a weird place to be in 

That definitely impacts how one would comprehend time!!! Good luck in your final semester, it must be tough trying to focus on school but being anxious about graduate school admissions!

1 hour ago, c.dizzle said:

for those who applied to the 2 year msw at uoft, has your application status changed to "under review"?

Yes, but not everyone's has changed at the same time. If you go back a couple of pages, mine only changed to under review two weeks ago whereas someone had theirs change 3 weeks ago!

I`m applying for PhD, and my application status has changed in early January, or even in end of December. Since then I refresh status page daily, but no updates anymore. As I see many people receive their letters somewhere in Jan, and know I start worrying about. Does any receive any update on their PhD application?

Probably, dates may vary from faculty to faculty. I`m cog. psychology.

3 hours ago, Vahrushev said:

I`m applying for PhD, and my application status has changed in early January, or even in end of December. Since then I refresh status page daily, but no updates anymore. As I see many people receive their letters somewhere in Jan, and know I start worrying about. Does any receive any update on their PhD application?

Probably, dates may vary from faculty to faculty. I`m cog. psychology.

Hi, this thread is for people who have applied to MSW programs (master of social work) in Canada. I'm not sure if we can be of any help. But, maybe you could contact the departments you applied to? You can ask about when they are sending out acceptances/rejections, or check the results for your particular program on this website http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

For anyone who went to the UofT info sessions - do you remember how many people are accepted to the MSW-ITR program? What were the stats, applications vs. enrolled? Did they say if they were increasing the class size? 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, ssbbaker said:

OK everyone. Just finished reading through ALL of last year's forum. Oh my. The anxiety is real.

And also, us advanced standing people should be hearing in as early as 2 weeks! Wild.

I just finished the 2015 forum, lol. My anxiety is right there with you. I keep going from extreme highs of "I'm such a good candidate" to extreme lows of "how can I compete with these people." I will say though that the 2015 forum definitely had a lot of great info and discussions about the universities should anyone be interested

I have a random question for those of you who had to answer this question over the course of your application process: "describe what experiences motivate you to be a social worker?" Did you focus on a single outstanding experience or a series of experiences that you had? 

I'm asking because Lakehead's Personal Statement Exam is this weekend. I'm trying to anticipate what they might ask & I noticed that the aforementioned question came up when I was applying to all of the other schools.

Thanks everyone :)

8 minutes ago, riaveda said:

I have a random question for those of you who had to answer this question over the course of your application process: "describe what experiences motivate you to be a social worker?" Did you focus on a single outstanding experience or a series of experiences that you had? 

I'm asking because Lakehead's Personal Statement Exam is this weekend. I'm trying to anticipate what they might ask & I noticed that the aforementioned question came up when I was applying to all of the other schools.

Thanks everyone :)

It was space dependent for me, so in the WLU I spoke about one major experience but in the UofT application I spoke about three.

A friend said something to me that helped me write about questions like this. He said to make all the answers mutually exclusive but collectively exhaustive. In this way, you won't be trying to develop 2-3 different motivations in the limited space provided. Rather, you'd be speaking to 2-3 experiences that contribute to one over-arching motivation. In this way, the answers become more fully developed. I found it to be true for my own writing, and hopefully might be helpful in yours! Best of luck on the exam!! 

Hello everyone! I've also applied for an MSW starting in the Fall of 2017. I applied to McGill and two french universities (Université de Montréal and Université du Québec à Montréal). Any francophones here? :)

I wanted to apply to UofT for the experience of studying in Toronto but I don't know how good their bursaries are over there, and if there is a possibility to submit a thesis in French even though the instruction language is English. 

On 1/24/2017 at 3:36 PM, tnt92 said:

That definitely impacts how one would comprehend time!!! Good luck in your final semester, it must be tough trying to focus on school but being anxious about graduate school admissions!

Thank you!! It is a little tough to concentrate but I've been making a decent effort to just forget about the applications for now and work on school. Good luck to you as well!! I know this is an anxious time for everyone!

Hello everyone!

First off, sorry for my poor english grammar, I am a francophone.

Like it is mentioned in my profile, I am applying this year to start a MSW next fall. I already have a clear topic in mind, something that I've been interested in for a long time and for which I do have work experience as well. One major aspect of my research topic is related to indigenous peoples. I am not indigenous myself although I am a woman of color and have faced racism and discrimination throughout my entire life.

But for many months before sending my application, I was facing a dilemma. I felt like an imposteur to be wanting to study this topic. And I was concerned about reproducing colonial schemas by doing this research as an outsider. I am very well aware of the relationship between Western researchers and indigenous peoples. Especially when it comes to social work and indigenous peoples.

I've come to terms that it was "okay" for me to research this topic when a proeminent indigenous activist told me that I am on the right track because I am questionning myself and my positionality in regards to this population. I've also begun to do volunteer work with indigenous peoples in order for me to "give something back" to the community, build a stronger relationship with them and not just "take information for my research topic".

My potential supervisor is also non-indigenous. But she guarantees me work as a research assistant throughout my entire MSW studies. I have a great relationship with her and have been since the beginning of my undergraduate studies. I've worked for her before as well as a research assistant and I really like her clear approach and she is extremely available for students. Additionally, I feel comfortable in my current university and have always received tremendous support from the faculty and the school.

For my MSW, I applied to another university, where there is actually an indigenous researcher that has accepted me as a supervisee. But I have never worked with her before, she will be on sabbatical leave when I'll come to the university also. But she is an expert on indigenous peoples and is indigenous herself. But I am worried because she will be gone when I will be starting my MSW.

Has anyone been in these types of situations? How did you come to terms with researching on a specific community while being an outsider to that community?

Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker here haha. My nerves are all over the place. I need some perspective! I applied to the 2YR WLU and UCalgary (ICD specialization) programs as an international student (from Ghana), although I completed my undergrad in Psychology at UWindsor.

I just want to know what my chances are as an international student - funding (probably non-existent)? and admission wise. Everyone else here seems to be Canadian.

I have extensive human service volunteer experience (International & Canadian), so I'm not nervous about the hours (I'm at about 5,000). As for GPA, my 3rd year was horrible :/ (about 75%) but final year was about 84.5%.