Interdisciplinary Media/Arts/Technology/Science Programs

hey, all. i was just wondering if anyone was applying to (or attending) interdisciplinary programs that dealt with arts or media and science or technology. i applied to:

- UC Santa Barbara, Media Arts and Technology PhD program (Multimedia Engineering): accepted, but still waiting on funding, although i know it won't be much . . .

- Mcgill, Music Technology PhD program: accepted, but no funding except possible ta-ships (~$2500 canadian per semester)

- Arizona State: Electrical Engineering PhD program with Arts, Media, and Engineering concentration: waiting

i would definitely appreciate if anyone had an opinion on any of these types of programs, or if any similar programs. i would be glad just to meet other people with the same sort of interdisciplinary interests, actually.

hey, all. i was just wondering if anyone was applying to (or attending) interdisciplinary programs that dealt with arts or media and science or technology. i applied to:

- UC Santa Barbara, Media Arts and Technology PhD program (Multimedia Engineering): accepted, but still waiting on funding, although i know it won't be much . . .

- Mcgill, Music Technology PhD program: accepted, but no funding except possible ta-ships (~$2500 canadian per semester)

- Arizona State: Electrical Engineering PhD program with Arts, Media, and Engineering concentration: waiting

i would definitely appreciate if anyone had an opinion on any of these types of programs, or if any similar programs. i would be glad just to meet other people with the same sort of interdisciplinary interests, actually.

hey m15a

I'm interested in similar sorts of interdisciplinary work. I applied in CS programs, and I was accepted to UCSB's Computer Science PhD program and I just heard (unofficially) that I got accepted for the IGERT Fellowship in Interactive Digital Multimedia. Did you apply to that fellowship? If not, you should check it out. It sounds like it is right down your alley, too. You work on interdisciplinary projects with other people in the fellowship from lots of different departments (CS, ECE, Music, Psychology, Geography, Film, Media Arts Tech, Environmental Science Management) on multimedia projects, and the money's good, too. Check out this project that they did last year: http://media.igert.ucsb.edu/projects06/instrument.htm

:D

damnit. i was reading about the igert fellowship when i was applying, but i didn't figure out how to apply and it kind of slipped my mind i guess. that would have make my life so much easier now . . congratulations, though. i think it's too late since you had to indicate you were interested when you applied, right?

have you decided to go to ucsb? i'm still waiting on a couple EE programs (which will hopefully give me good funding). if those turn out well, i might have a tough time justifying the funding difference.

what are you interested in working on specifically?

• 2 weeks later...
damnit. i was reading about the igert fellowship when i was applying, but i didn't figure out how to apply and it kind of slipped my mind i guess. that would have make my life so much easier now . . congratulations, though. i think it's too late since you had to indicate you were interested when you applied, right?

have you decided to go to ucsb? i'm still waiting on a couple EE programs (which will hopefully give me good funding). if those turn out well, i might have a tough time justifying the funding difference.

what are you interested in working on specifically?

I don't know how long they consider people for the IGERT but it is probably worth contacting them to see if they are still accepting applications. You can email them here: info-igert@media.igert.ucsb.edu . I visited UCSB earlier this week and after the visit I've decided to go there. The people I met were really nice and the campus is amazing.

Lately I've been more into multimodal interactive devices. So, for instance, at UCSB they're working on creating a 3-story spherical room that they're working on turning into an immersive environment that uses computer vision to allow a user to interact with images displayed all around them. It's pretty cool, but right now they're in the early stages so that's something I'd like to help out with.

hey, moneke. that's funny. i just flew back from santa barbara last night. i saw the allosphere, too. it was pretty impressive. all that for us interdisciplinary art/technology types. it's crazy! i'm 95% sure i'll be going to ucsb, too. the MAT program is just too cool to pass up. we'll probably meet each other in person. (btw, my name is salman. maybe you'll remember.)

about igert, they're probably not still taking applications. and also, i think this is the last year for igert funding unless they get another grant. (and it's very competitive now.) so, money will be a tough thing for me. but i'll survive.

yeah, I'm really excited about going to UCSB. I'm sure we'll meet up there since I'm definitely going to try and take some MAT classes, too. And a couple of the professors in CS I'm interested in working with are also affiliated with the MAT dept.

My real name's Ben, btw. UCSB really seems like a great place for people like us who are interested in interdisciplinary stuff like this. I've always been interested in CS but I always find myself looking for ways to apply it to things that aren't in a standard CS curriculum. I think it's a good place for that kind of thing. (I guess there's the Media Lab at MIT, too, but I wasn't going to get in there!)

• 2 years later...

Have a question about those PhD in media arts and technology/ media arts and practice etc...

Does one need a scientific background to get in? I had the feeling they would take comp science and engineers over media studies with a limited background in film and animation.

what do you think?

Those with a degree in arts should have cross-disciplinary experience in technology and vice versa.

I stumbled upon this forum today and I don't feel alone anymore :) It was really tough to wait and handle rejection letters.

I got an acceptance letter from UCSB MAT department yesterday and I'm wondering if there is anybody else around here who will attend MAT program this Fall??

• 5 months later...

Ah! I just found this post too! While I was searching for grad programs similar to MAT none the less. Does anyone know of any other similar programs besides UCSB and the media lab at MIT? I want to develop a broad base of options before delving into the whole graduate school application process.

I'm set to graduate with a double major in Music and Physics and am looking at programs like these that'll combine both fields.

• 6 years later...

USC's Media Arts+Practice is my top choice right now. I have an MFA in Design+Tech from Parsons. 

I'm also considering the Ruskin D.Phil at Oxford. 

Are there any recommendations for comparable programs and, especially, safety schools with generous (read: full ride) aid?