Best way to change advisors

Hi Guys,

I have just finished my 2nd year in my doctoral program and this fall will be my last term with my coursework. Till this time I changed my advisor once and I would like to change again. The problem is I am trying to find the most appropriate and kind way to tell this to my advisor that I would like to change. I worked with her only 1 year and to be honest she has never been interestd in my research. We only met 3 times in one year. We don't have strong relationship. Can you please tell me the kindest expressions that I can use? I don't want to ruin our relationship because I may need her reference letters during my job applications.

Do you already have someone lined up to replace your current advisor? If you do and it's someone who you've been meeting with regularly I can imagine saying something about how you've been having successful meeting with Prof X throughout the year and have now decided to make her your official advisor, you want to thank your current advisor for all her help and support this year, you really appreciate it. [something about how you plan to finish any current/ongoing projects with your advisor, if relevant.] If it's someone who you only *think* will be a good fit but you haven't met with her too many times, then possibly you say that your interests have shifted and are better aligned with Prof X, not your current advisor/lab, so you've decided to switch (+again, every version of this will have the "thank you for everything, much appreciated" part); if there is a way to frame a switch this way, it allows everyone to save face. This is actually true for the former situation as well. If you don't have someone new at all, I don't know that it makes sense to tell your advisor you don't want to work with her anymore, because you may end up without anyone else and then you'll be stuck. Your question is really too vague to give any specific advice. 

In your case, I would not say anything to your current advisor until you have already determined who your new advisor will be and had them agree to serve in that capacity. 

I'm not sure I understand your concerns about the reference letter for future job applications. Will the current person still be on your dissertation committee? If not, then this isn't really a concern. For jobs, the letters tend to come from those most familiar with your research/teaching, which is typically those on your dissertation committee. 

• 8 months later...

I am wondering if anyone can weigh in on my situation, which is similar. I switched advisors in my second year from the person I was supposed to work with (recruited me into the program) to someone who gave me more structure, feedback, and was an overall better fit academically. I told the first advisor I was thinking of switching and eventually confirmed with them when I made the switch permanent through paperwork. I said I would like to continue working with them and have kept up my promise on a joint project, but did not go out of my way to thank them and care-take for their feelings. I didn't schmooze them. Dumb mistake on my part. How important do you think that is? 

Since then, this first advisor, who is also the director of graduate studies, has not helped me with many things. He did not offer me summer funding (last year he did) and I suspect he discouraged a conference summit fellowship committee from choosing me over a less experienced grad student (I have no proof, but it's odd to me they chose someone with fewer publications, less research experience, and who was not as far along in the program). He only read my qualifying exams for typos (he's on my committee). Is there a way to repair this without making a big stink about it? So far I haven't disclosed this to anyone. He is still on my committee and controls departmental funding decisions. I find him unprofessional and unethical at times, for what that is worth. 

23 hours ago, anabeldm9 said:

I am wondering if anyone can weigh in on my situation, which is similar. I switched advisors in my second year from the person I was supposed to work with (recruited me into the program) to someone who gave me more structure, feedback, and was an overall better fit academically. I told the first advisor I was thinking of switching and eventually confirmed with them when I made the switch permanent through paperwork. I said I would like to continue working with them and have kept up my promise on a joint project, but did not go out of my way to thank them and care-take for their feelings. I didn't schmooze them. Dumb mistake on my part. How important do you think that is? 

Since then, this first advisor, who is also the director of graduate studies, has not helped me with many things. He did not offer me summer funding (last year he did) and I suspect he discouraged a conference summit fellowship committee from choosing me over a less experienced grad student (I have no proof, but it's odd to me they chose someone with fewer publications, less research experience, and who was not as far along in the program). He only read my qualifying exams for typos (he's on my committee). Is there a way to repair this without making a big stink about it? So far I haven't disclosed this to anyone. He is still on my committee and controls departmental funding decisions. I find him unprofessional and unethical at times, for what that is worth. 

It sounds like he's taking the situation personally. Did you make it clear to him that there were specific, practical reasons why you wanted to switch? If you did not make a good case for switching, he might have assumed you did not like working with him for a number of reasons including personal ones such as his personality or working style. Some people are more sensitive than others. While being sensitive does not justify his unfavourable bias towards you, it's within his right to like certain people and to not like others. Unfortunately not everyone is able to keep their personal opinions separate from their work.   

If you are almost done your program, perhaps you could give him a thank you card at the end of the program and mention your gratitude for certain things he's done to help you out along the way. If you'd prefer to deal with the situation sooner, you could casually mention in person that you don't believe you've thanked him for all that he's done (and give a couple of examples and be genuine about it) to express your gratitude. If you didn't give him solid reasons for changing then make sure you briefly mention those too.