Boren Fellowship

mrs12

I figure that this is probably a great place to ask about people's experiences with the Boren! I'm contemplating applying for it this year, but it seems a bit complicated if you're graduating undergrad and applying to grad school. I'm not sure if it's something that most grad schools would let you defer for a year to do, or what.

How many of you have received and/or applied for the Boren before? What were your experiences? Where did you go and for how long? How did your school work with it?

Hi @rising_star, I've looked at almost all of these forums and unfortunately none of them seemed to answer my question. Or maybe I missed it! I'll take another look, though, thanks!

It's led me to wonder if most people only apply to the Boren if they're already in Grad School...

The thing with Boren is that we have to be matriculated while on a scholarship/fellowship, so if we get accepted into our graduate program we can defer a year while still being enrolled at the school. This happens often and most schools are more than happy to defer for a good reason--as long as we pay that deposit. Haha.

Though if you're applying for fellowships (external or internal) that may complicate things by a lot. People may lose their funding if they don't take it the first year, or the fellowships won't let us defer and we'll lose the entire thing.

Edited by kbui