MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

I'm only applying to three schools, thought I had completed essays for two of them (pretty burnt out to attack the next one) until my roommate pointed out I have a lot of grammar issues.  I have two more pieces I need to photograph and add to my portfolio, I want to finish two more and add them before my first application is due if 4 days.  Ugh quite a bit overwhelmed right now!

I got my first three applications in! Five more to go. I have everything all set, just need to tweak my statement to make it specific to each school's requirements. Almost there. It would be a tad easier if I didn't have to also finish work for an exhibition opening the 13th. When it rains it pours, but it's good stuff. 

Just a heads up for everyone applying on slideroom. When I went to submit an application that was due today the credit card payment processing was down luckily it came back up in time to submit but just keep that in mind if submitting on the last day. 

Since this is the place to freak, I'm freaking because one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted her letters. I originally asked in September and we've been in touch regularly since. I last heard from her 4 days ago and she still hadn't started writing it but says she will. Two of my schools deadlines are by the end of the day tomorrow!

Does anyone know if applications are completely rejected if letters are submitted late or if there are only 2?

I guess I either need to somehow seek last minute emergency back up or stop being type A and trust that she'll get it done.

Horror application scenario. Beyond my control and does not feel good. :o:( 

Edited by sssettam

18 minutes ago, sssettam said:

Since this is the place to freak, I'm freaking because one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted her letters. I originally asked in September and we've been in touch regularly since. I last heard from her 4 days ago and she still hadn't started writing it but says she will. Two of my schools deadlines are by the end of the day tomorrow!

Does anyone know if applications are completely rejected if letters are submitted late or if there are only 2?

I guess I either need to somehow seek last minute emergency back up or stop being type A and trust that she'll get it done.

Some schools don't meet until after the deadline so a late letter doesn't disqualify. There is also the possibility of a final deadline for materials that is later than your deadline to submit the app (my CMU app had a deadline of Dec 1st for reduced fee, Dec 15th for full fee, and Dec 31st for all materials including LoRs). It probably will disqualify once they start having to make admit decisions though, so if possible go have a face to face meeting with her in her office. Professors are usually knowledgeable on when their deliverables are actually due and know how important it is to the students they are writing for.

1 hour ago, sssettam said:

Lol one of my recommenders asked me to finish it so he could submit everything immediately.  Another one told me she started, my third one hasn't responded to anything 

:)

2 hours ago, .letmeinplz// said:

Some schools don't meet until after the deadline so a late letter doesn't disqualify. There is also the possibility of a final deadline for materials that is later than your deadline to submit the app (my CMU app had a deadline of Dec 1st for reduced fee, Dec 15th for full fee, and Dec 31st for all materials including LoRs). It probably will disqualify once they start having to make admit decisions though, so if possible go have a face to face meeting with her in her office. Professors are usually knowledgeable on when their deliverables are actually due and know how important it is to the students they are writing for.

Thanks for this input. Hoping it applies to art programs! Some of my schools note that recommenders must get letters in before the deadline. 

1 hour ago, meghanmetier said:

Lol one of my recommenders asked me to finish it so he could submit everything immediately.  Another one told me she started, my third one hasn't responded to anything 

:)

That is ridiculous. I hope everything works out! I'm writing a sample/detailed guideline for my letter right now in hopes that it will help my recommender send it in ASAP :wacko:

It sounds like everyone on here has been very vigilant and on their toes during this process! The last of my recommenders uploaded their letter to my applications about half an hour ago, which was a huge relief and one I'm still feeling. I'm excited that all my application materials are coming together, and I can't wait until I officially submit everything so I can begin making work more lucidly again.

I'm also wishing the best of luck to everyone on here over the next couple of months, hopefully many of us will receive positive news at the end of this process B).

Has anyone managed to upload their portfolio to the MFA Slade UCL London online application?

They say, they'll send you a link to slideroom - never got it!

Already paid, received both references... Weird.

Or are there separate deadlines for forms and portfolio and they forgot to mention it? 

Either way, I'm loosing faith...

Help!

Edited by Verosel

Happy New Year Everyone, 

Just as a heads up, Yale's application is due tonight: artist statement, C.V, portfolio, application. The recommendations aren't due immediately but you should encourage your recommenders to submit ASAP. (I know this sounds weird because the site kind of frowns upon not having everything in tonight) I just spoke with admissions. 

(Spent my BDAY yesterday chugging away at two last min images)

Bonne chance! 

38 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Happy New Year Everyone, 

Just as a heads up, Yale's application is due tonight: artist statement, C.V, portfolio, application. The recommendations aren't due immediately but you should encourage your recommenders to submit ASAP. (I know this sounds weird because the site kind of frowns upon not having everything in tonight) I just spoke with admissions. 

Bonne chance! 

Isn't the yale deadline Jan. 4th 11:59pm??

1 hour ago, arte said:

Yeah, their website says "Online applications for programs beginning in the 2017–2018 academic year must be uploaded no later than 12 midnight EST (11:59:59) on Wednesday, January 4, 2017." The 11:59:59 is a nice clarification. 

2 hours ago, arte said:

I could be wrong but I interpreted "Applications must be submitted online no later than 12 midnight EST on January 4, 2017" to mean tonight at 12:00 AM is the cut off. Because 1 minute after 11:59:59 the next day would be would be 5th January.

None the less, I am not taking any chances.   

I think Yale even states to not submit last minute just in case there are errors with the application system. So any of you that have not submitted yet, really, hurry the hell up.

5 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Happy New Year Everyone, 

Bonne chance! 

Does this mean that TOEFL scores can also be posted with delay? After paying the fee and completing all the steps, yesterday I learned that TOEFL failed to post my scores which was supposed to be delivered mid-december. They told me that they will send another one free of charge, but obviously it will be delivered no earlier than 13 of january.

I mailed the Yale admissions and today they told me to request another copy from TOEFL but didn't say if my application will be valid or not. I am guessing it will still be valid since they asked me to request another one at this day and time? I am kinda freaked out right now, haha

Any of you international applicants in a situation like this?

Best of luck to everyone applying this time and also happy new year.

Edited by xanaxax

Hey, 

I am an international student but I don't have to take TOEFL, English is my native language. Good luck with the TOEFL! You should be able to submit your scores electronically using yale's institution 3987 code if you log onto your ETS page. This sends the scores directly to them. 

Also, I can't see why this would be an issue if it was post-marked well in advance. More than likely they'll wait on your scores but I would call 2034322600 them just to be safe and let them know your situation. 

Good luck! 

Naw, Yale needs to get their busted application system together! After all, we're paying $100 for our applications! The way I see it, there shouldn't be any problem uploading last min. If I have problems paying tomorrow because their system is down, then I'm taking my $100 to buy some tacos and go art supply shopping. 

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Naw, Yale needs to get their busted application system together! After all, we're paying $100 for our applications! The way I see it, there shouldn't be any problem uploading last min. If I have problems paying tomorrow because their system is down, then I'm taking my $100 to buy some tacos and go art supply shopping. 

Sure Tacos and art supplies is a a valid option instead of Yale, but one could always just submit a couple weeks before the deadline to avoid their notoriously crappy application system, since based on prior experiences, is not an excuse for a late application.

My application was not done two weeks ago nor was I even sure that I should invest money in applying. 

3 hours ago, BlCEO said:

Sure Tacos and art supplies is a a valid option instead of Yale, but one could always just submit a couple weeks before the deadline to avoid their notoriously crappy application system, since based on prior experiences, is not an excuse for a late application.

6 hours ago, Zander said:

I applied to Yale last year and submitted my application on the day of the deadline in the late afternoon (around 3pm if I remember correctly) and didn't have any trouble submitting it or with payment processing, so I think your submission should be fine so long as you're not submitting and paying literally an hour or two before midnight, which is usually when their system can get overwhelmed and can lead to technical difficulties.

58 minutes ago, Zander said:

My application was not done two weeks ago nor was I even sure that I should invest money in applying. 

Cool man. Best of luck!