MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

2 hours ago, Yellow_Hat said:

Same thing happened to me, haven't heard a peep aside from that. Kind of getting mixed signals now that others are getting interviews and accepted already. What does it mean??

From what I understand, UMich accepted 5 people and are waiting for us to formally accept the offers. The 5 accepted people are being flown out for an open house at the end of March. I imagine if anyone declines the offer the remaining positions will go to waitlisted folk. If you haven't received a rejection outright, you may be waitlisted. You can always call and check in. If you haven't received an interview it doesn't sound good, since they completed interviews before making their acceptance decisions. 

Hey, guys! New applicant here!

I applied for 6 programs referring digital, media and interaction design. Unfortunately, without an interview, I was declined by RISD Digital+Media informed on Mar 3.

Up till now, I had 2 interviews with ACCD Media Design Practices, SAIC Art and Technology, but still not quite sure when the final decision will be given.

Now I'm still waiting for CalArts Digital & Media, Parsons Design & Technology (first choice), SVA Interaction Design, which hasn't any updated information via e-mail. Last week I sent inquiry to SVA admission and was informed that the final decision will be received via e-mail by Apr 1.

If anyone on the same track got informed, it'll be so kind to share the information.^_^

Out of curiosity, has anyone here applied to the MFA Medical Illustration program at RIT? I'm currently awaiting their decision and I'm a gigantic bundle of nerves.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, Dreaminghigh said:

I got accepted to MFA painting at Columbia University!!!!! Ahhh I just feel over the moon :D

Congratulations!!! ? That is amazing news!! 

I had my interview last Friday and am waiting to hear back :/

do you mind sharing how your interview went? 

48 minutes ago, leafyinhaling said:

Has anyone got accepted to Parsons Fine Arts?

How is the program?

I don't know much about the program, but I was lucky enough to have crits from Saya Woolfalk and Steffani Jemison (both Parsons faculty members) a year or so ago. Amazing experience. If all the faculty at Parsons are of their caliber, it's bound to be great. The only exception I've heard is for photographers, as the resources are apparently limited for photo grads.

Congratulations to everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning to apply for later this year. I noticed no one talks about NYU's program. 

Personally, I have a school crush on Columbia, but found out NYU offers 50% scholarship to all, 2nd years teach undergrad, accepts only 10 to the program, super interdisciplinary, amazing facilities where they provide materials or cover 85 - 90% of material fees, large studios, etc. With all they offer, feels like this program should be more competitive than it is, but I literally cannot find anyone within my own circle who knows anything about the program, and I can't remember any notable artist alumnis - while as you see grads from famous programs in galleries all the time. Can anyone comment on the program in comparison to the more popular ones like Yale, Columbia, UCLA, or RISD?  

On 2/14/2017 at 10:21 AM, hastr683 said:

@icw Thanks! It sounds like each department selects their own finalists. I got an e-mail from the head of Photo. Good luck and hope you hear back!

They do select their own.  I was told they would be making dec early March.  I am still waiting to hear back from the painting program too.  It's torture lol.  Congrats on your acceptance! 

1 hour ago, chirpchirp said:

Congratulations to everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm planning to apply for later this year. I noticed no one talks about NYU's program. 

Personally, I have a school crush on Columbia, but found out NYU offers 50% scholarship to all, 2nd years teach undergrad, accepts only 10 to the program, super interdisciplinary, amazing facilities where they provide materials or cover 85 - 90% of material fees, large studios, etc. With all they offer, feels like this program should be more competitive than it is, but I literally cannot find anyone within my own circle who knows anything about the program, and I can't remember any notable artist alumnis - while as you see grads from famous programs in galleries all the time. Can anyone comment on the program in comparison to the more popular ones like Yale, Columbia, UCLA, or RISD?  

There a lots of differences between all of them.

Yale and RISD are not known for being interdisciplinary (though this varies by department), while at Columbia you apply into one department but can ultimately work however you want. Can't speak for UCLA. 

Teaching and funding at all the schools also vary, often by department. Yale has a lot of money to offer generous financial aid to those in need. RISD offers a variety of partial scholarships, from what I understand, but some departments can offer more than others. I'm guessing the painting department at RISD probably has the most money to throw around. It seems like Yale (at least judging by their photo department) doesn't encourage teaching very much, whereas RISD grad students can TA every semester and even teach courses of their own design during Wintersession. I don't know as much about Columbia and UCLA in terms of funding and teaching. 

In terms of famous or "successful" artists, it's really a mixed bag imo. There are tons of famous artists who didn't go to those programs, and many who don't have an MFA (or even BFA) at all. On the other hand, the connections you make at top tier programs might make all the difference. I also suspect that alumni of the top programs are a bit self-selecting. ie. If someone gets admitted to Yale painting, their work is probably already very mature/developed, and they perhaps already have some of the right connections. This type of artist might find some level of art world success regardless of where they get their MFA. 

At any rate, I highly recommend researching the faculty at each school and the type of work coming out of the relevant departments. That's how I picked most of the schools I applied to. 

Edited by Vespertine

Hi guys,

I got an admission for SVA. They sent me a scholarship application form but in their website there is no information on how much is the amount of scholarship. I am an international student, and no rich parents, so I cannot afford the tuition. Does anyone know how their department scholarships are? Have they ever waived full tuition fee?!

Do you have any other comments on how to raise the money for it?

I appreciate your suggestions

21 hours ago, hastr683 said:

From what I understand, UMich accepted 5 people and are waiting for us to formally accept the offers. The 5 accepted people are being flown out for an open house at the end of March. I imagine if anyone declines the offer the remaining positions will go to waitlisted folk. If you haven't received a rejection outright, you may be waitlisted. You can always call and check in. If you haven't received an interview it doesn't sound good, since they completed interviews before making their acceptance decisions. 

Ah got it, ok thanks for the info, not sure why they didn't just relay that to all applicants as well.

Congrats on your offer! It sounds like you got one? 

22 minutes ago, M@H said:

Hi guys,

I got an admission for SVA. They sent me a scholarship application form but in their website there is no information on how much is the amount of scholarship. I am an international student, and no rich parents, so I cannot afford the tuition. Does anyone know how their department scholarships are? Have they ever waived full tuition fee?!

Do you have any other comments on how to raise the money for it?

I appreciate your suggestions

Cogratulations!!! I was told at the national portfolio day in 2014 that there is no full scholarship for first years at SVA. They had second-year fellowships available I believe. The biggest was half-tuition and it was merit-based. Not exactly sure but that is what I remember. 

Edited by tugbamina_871

10 minutes ago, tugbamina_871 said:

Cogratulations!!! I was told at the national portfolio day in 2014 that there is no full scholarship for first years at SVA. They had second-year fellowships available I believe. The biggest was half-tuition and it was merit-based. Not exactly sure but that is what I remember. 

Thanks, in that case I will not be able to afford it. I am from Iran, and with this new order I couldn't go to the US anyway, so not much to mourn for after all.

27 minutes ago, M@H said:

Thanks, in that case I will not be able to afford it. I am from Iran, and with this new order I couldn't go to the US anyway, so not much to mourn for after all.

So sorry that your educational and creative opportunities in the USA are disrupted by the terrible administration and president. Ugh! Hope you find a more enlightened place to study!!!

Feeling very discouraged by this entire process. I've gotten into NC State for graphic design and have an interview at Cranbrook (2D) but the rest of the schools I applied to, Yale (rejected) U of M (seems like rejection) and RISD (also looming rejection) I can't peg down any sort of reasoning, really wish there was a way to get feedback.

Does anyone else feel this is much harder to navigate than undergrad? I knew it would be difficult but wasn't expecting so much confusion.

Congrats to all of you on the good news! And good luck to everyone still navigating.

I saw someone posted about Tyler Painting and I got an email from them saying they had not made decisions yet and that they will not be until the end up March ugh. Has anyone applied to University of Delaware??

1 hour ago, Impartial said:

So sorry that your educational and creative opportunities in the USA are disrupted by the terrible administration and president. Ugh! Hope you find a more enlightened place to study!!!

2 hours ago, Vespertine said:

:( 

I'm sorry this country is so fucked up right now. 

Thanks guys for your support :) I am hopeful the situation will get better in the upcoming years.

3 minutes ago, thiswildballoon said:

I saw someone posted about Tyler Painting and I got an email from them saying they had not made decisions yet and that they will not be until the end up March ugh. Has anyone applied to University of Delaware??

I applied to Delaware. Haven't heard anything since I submitted