MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

6 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Accepted to SFAI with $35k scholarship per year! 

Just waiting on RISD now, aghhh... 

I was basically introduced to art through the SFAI MFA crew. I'm friends with all of them. I have answers if you got questions.

BTW SF is stupid beautiful but stupid expensive. It's rough to stay afloat here financially.

8 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I was basically introduced to art through the SFAI MFA crew. I'm friends with all of them. I have answers if you got questions.

BTW SF is stupid beautiful but stupid expensive. It's rough to stay afloat here financially.

Thank you! I will PM you if I think of anything :)

Yeah, that's definitely my biggest concern about SF. The scholarship is great but not really sure I can swing living costs without some sort of stipend. 

1 hour ago, KatieB1987 said:

Thank you! Very excited indeed! You can find my work at my definitely-needs-to-be-updated website www.katiebarrie.com

Whoa, congrats! Glad to see someone's heard back from Tyler. I'm super pumped, I really like your work, which makes me like the program even more. Even if I don't get in this round will definitely be re-applying next year. Kind of peeved they messed up my application, cause I didn't resolve the issue til the 14th, meaning I might not have even gotten a chance but hey! 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:49 AM, oliveoil said:

It's going well — really really stressful though! I will be so relived once this whole process is over! It has totally destroyed my social life. hahah. 

I totally feel you on getting swept up in the "commercial world". It is so hard to find the time to make things for your self when you work full-time! I have a general fine arts degree and even though I applied to 2 yr programs — I did show some of the non design artwork that I was making in college for some of the more conceptually driven programs like yale (they super hate client work and I have mostly client work). I was really worried about it because it was not "graphic design" but they seemed to respond to it better then anything else in my portfolio. I don't know your reasons for applying to grad school — but for me it really helped to show where I was coming from and to frame the work that I wanted to be making. All that to say — maybe its worth taking a look back at the work you made in school in order to give context and position yourself! 

Good luck on Cranbrook!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Everyone that I know that has gone through that program is a total bad ass. My favorite teacher ever went there too! 

Ah yea totally fair. With graphic design I think it presents a really interesting problem of how much client / personal work to show and it can all vary so much. I'm wondering if I didn't lean in heavy enough to personal / fine art based work for Yale and went for the more flashy looking "professional" pieces. The endless "what if's."

Either way, I appreciate you sharing your experience, it really helps to hear someone else's process with all of this. Good luck with the rest of your schools and your final decision!

Thank you! Very excited indeed! You can find my work at my definitely-needs-to-be-updated website www.katiebarrie.com

Congrats!! I love your work!

I just finished my Pratt interview for Painting and I think it went really well! I had interviews with SVA and Pratt, and now my fate is in their hands. I honestly don't know which one I would choose if I had the option. Of course I will wait and see if there is any financial help with either (which will help choose)... is there anyone else who applied to both for painting?

51 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Got the official rejection letter from UC Irvine. Hoping that means that those of you who interviewed will get acceptances soon! 

Me too -__-

I only have UNLV left...

@leekrasner @oliveoil 

Thank you both very much!

@ss2 I didn't apply to Pratt or SVA, (simply because I don't have it in me to live in New York), but a close friend of mine is at Pratt right now for painting and absolutely loves the program. Here's hoping it works out for you! 

45 minutes ago, Yellow_Hat said:

Ah yea totally fair. With graphic design I think it presents a really interesting problem of how much client / personal work to show and it can all vary so much. I'm wondering if I didn't lean in heavy enough to personal / fine art based work for Yale and went for the more flashy looking "professional" pieces. The endless "what if's."

Either way, I appreciate you sharing your experience, it really helps to hear someone else's process with all of this. Good luck with the rest of your schools and your final decision!

The trick is to tailor your portfolio to the job or in this case...the MFA program. What helped me was looking at what current students were making and deciding from there which programs aligned with my own design methodology. 

Hey all! Congrats to all the acceptances and for the ones who did not yet get the cake, it will come! I also recommend you guys to apply in Europe, many schools are for free or almost for free and with good structure.

I just got the an acceptance letter from SAIC Sculpture, I'm really happy! It had arrived a few days ago but I was away so only got it today. @Poodle-Doodle I saw you got in as well and with the grant, that is amazing! I didn't hear anything about funding, did they tell you about the funding at the same time they told you about the acceptance or in separate emails?

@leekrasner @oliveoil 

@ss2 I didn't apply to Pratt or SVA, (simply because I don't have it in me to live in New York), but a close friend of mine is at Pratt right now for painting and absolutely loves the program. Here's hoping it works out for you! 

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, ss2 said:

@meghanmetier you were already interviewed and accepted for painting with Pratt?? I didn't get my interview until today... hmmmmm so many questions haha :blink:

Yea I think they do rolling interviews? Did you do your application before the 5th of January?

1 minute ago, meghanmetier said:

Yea I think they do rolling interviews? Did you do your application before the 5th of January?

Ohhhhh silly me. I submitted mine later than that. That makes sense!

2 hours ago, KatieB1987 said:

@leekrasner @oliveoil 

Of course! Hope my comment didn't read super salty lol. I'm genuinely excited for ya.

@meghanmetier Your "Tyler- Who knows?" on your signature is so accurate.

5 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Hey!! Also sculpture for Yale here. :D Yale sends all its acceptances through the same portal thing that we got interview requests & also all departments send at the same time. I think we should hear back very early AM on Saturday. A friend who is the painting department now said that they sent the application update at 2 or 3 in the morning. Hoping we both get in!!! I've been more & more excited about Yale after the interview. It was crazy how directed the interview was towards individual practices instead of general questions.

Just wondering, how was the interview experience for you? I felt like mine went really well, but they do a good job of keeping a poker face. I ate an entire funfetti cake yesterday because I've been so anxious.

6 hours ago, MfaNewGenres said:

Just called them. It seems like they will notify everyone the 15th March. But it seems that there has already been some decisions made but she said she was not sure if all acceptances have been sent. So apparently if the head of the department does not send anything before, an official answer will come then from the admissions. Kind of sad here imagining I will get a no. But still holding on some hope and refreshing my email and the forum all the time. 

I called as well~ I spoke to Alex and he mentioned that each committee has their own timeline. Some will call their accepted candidates right away while some take longer to decide. He mentioned that there are sometimes gaps of 2 weeks between people who are notified of their acceptance and some are even notified at the end of march! I'm trying to stay hopeful as well :/