MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

12 minutes ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

Spoke to Sarah and apparently she calls everyone today who didn't get in >.< 

Fingers crossed for no calls from Hunter tonight 

Oh sh** ???

good luck everyone ?

8 hours ago, KatieB1987 said:

Hearing that you're applying while still in undergrad compels me to tell you that literally every single person I know who went directly to grad school after undergrad regrets that decision. Three of them have gone to grad school a second time in their 30s so they could get a more solid experience. You may feel ready and motivated and so pumped to dive in, but as someone who seriously considered doing that, I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for waiting and getting years of experience in "the real world". My work has dramatically changed, I'm more informed towards what I want out of graduate school, I've had the experience of balancing work and a studio practice, and I've gotten to work as a studio assistant for artists who have given me invaluable advice. Also, it's super important to make work removed from the atmosphere of an academic setting. Just saying. Don't go just because you want to streamline your education. A professor of mine said one should never go to grad school "until they're thirsty for it". 

As you said, you feel your work is already stronger now than when you applied... that can only continue to happen. And if affordability is an issue for you, you're far more likely to get funding as a more competitive applicant with stronger work. I don't want to influence you too much, but, it's a major life decision and there's nothing worse than regret... especially when it comes with a financial burden. I wish you the best!

This is me. I had a year between undergrad and grad school (M.A.). No way I would have gotten into MFA programs at that point, had only been seriously into my medium (photography) during college and was trying to do it commercially right off the bat. I learned that, while it's great in some ways, I wanted more. 8 years later, mid thirties and finally starting my MFA in the fall. Thrilled about it, but because only I finally have a better sense of purpose with my work. I spent a lot of my MA program quietly rebelling against some of the dogma taught there, because I realized it wasn't a great fit in the first term, but I wasn't sure what was a good fit. I had full tuition waiver and stipend so I stayed and grew on my own terms, but it took a good 5-7 years after that before I felt like my voice started to solidify as an artist. Others will vary, but life experience inevitably will affect your work, and usually for the better.

The one caveat is that I don't know that I regret my first grad school, in that I did make lifelong friends and definitely grew personally - but I ultimately did not pursue the path that the program was intended for. I am quite thankful now that I didn't get a terminal degree - though at the time I was frustrated about it. It kept the door open for me. 

That said, I think this poster may have been completing undergrad later in life, so it might be a different scenario.

Edited by felixo

6 hours ago, leafyinhaling said:

Hearing that you're applying while still in undergrad compels me to tell you that literally every single person I know who went directly to grad school after undergrad regrets that decision. Three of them have gone to grad school a second time in their 30s so they could get a more solid experience. You may feel ready and motivated and so pumped to dive in, but as someone who seriously considered doing that, I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for waiting and getting years of experience in "the real world". My work has dramatically changed, I'm more informed towards what I want out of graduate school, I've had the experience of balancing work and a studio practice, and I've gotten to work as a studio assistant for artists who have given me invaluable advice. Also, it's super important to make work removed from the atmosphere of an academic setting. Just saying. Don't go just because you want to streamline your education. A professor of mine said one should never go to grad school "until they're thirsty for it". 

As you said, you feel your work is already stronger now than when you applied... that can only continue to happen. And if affordability is an issue for you, you're far more likely to get funding as a more competitive applicant with stronger work. I don't want to influence you too much, but, it's a major life decision and there's nothing worse than regret... especially when it comes with a financial burden. I wish you the best!

@eyerolling

@leafyinhaling

Thank you for being supportive! - this is one of the benefits of this forum. I have been twisted up by many of these same arguments for and against the streamline and do value all of this input from wherever I can get it so whatever insight you or anyone has is appreciated.  The idea that I might regret a decision is daunting. A little extra info is that I am much older than many in my cohort. Before deciding to pursue art with a capital A via academia, I was an art handler in Manhattan for a decade and was a studio assistant for a semi-known painter for five years while also knocking around the punk rock club circuit as a musician. Familiarity with the art world and the dedication to craft (playing in a band) is there in abundance, but the studio practice outside of school is embarrassingly, obviously missing.  I do feel a sense of immediacy partly because of where I am at in life but also because the switch that flipped when I took to the studio has illuminated a space I would opt to stay in, if given the chance, for as long as possible, surrounded by ambitious creatives prone to discourse and quick to visually process new realities in state of the art facilities, guided by the voices of those who have done these things themselves, is a current reality and near future I def thirst for.  But, all I really want is the strongest work possible and of course I can pursue this outside of the institution.  I figured I’d grow faster in an MFA setting so I applied for that reason and also just to see where I stood, with the hopes of having options. If I didn’t apply this cycle, I would pursue residencies and build my practice and I can still make that choice.  Glasgow was a reach for a pie in the sky and garnering some interest is big for me. Point well taken regarding better funding as a response to better work and I am rethinking things because of this idea and also because maybe I want to take some time and have another go at the biggies to see what gives when I am actually prepared.  But I’ll tell ya, Purchase is looking good. It is an inexpensive, edgy program, close to Manhattan. If I am offered the dual degree with some funding it will be tough to pass up. I’ll keep y’all posted how things take shape.  Congrats on all of your efforts and keep updating the rest of us.

1 hour ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

Spoke to Sarah and apparently she calls everyone today who didn't get in >.< 

Fingers crossed for no calls from Hunter tonight 

She told me she would be calling or Skyping accepted candidates. 

?

1 minute ago, Causofit said:

She told me she would be calling or Skyping accepted candidates. 

?

Ah I'm confused :/ She told me that she didn't have the authority to call accepted candidates...she said that the admissions/faculty would call and that she would just call those who were not accepted 

2 minutes ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

Ah I'm confused :/ She told me that she didn't have the authority to call accepted candidates...she said that the admissions/faculty would call and that she would just call those who were not accepted 

Ok, i am going to take your word for it! Itt sounds legit ha

?

1 minute ago, Causofit said:

Ok, i am going to take your word for it! Itt sounds legit ha

?

Haha unless I'm losing my mind (very possible at this point)! I spoke with her right before my interview today during an informal Q&A session with Leslie. She said that once the committees choose their candidates, they have to get the list of accepted candidates approved by the dean. She said theres also a bunch of bureaucratic processes that have to take place before formally giving an acceptance letter.

She said she was going to just make phone calls because she didn't want those who weren't getting good news to keep waiting.  

Did she tell you this in person? Communication with Hunter during this admission process has been a little bit spotty... 

I respect your background, but could not disagree more.

I hate this stereotype that "the real world" made you better, whatever, Art can't just be a career for "hungry" and poor. It needs to also be a viable career choice and for a lot of students/artists that means having access to higher income/health insurance of teaching at university level or just a better job than a bachelors can get you. I think it's so vitriolic to hear people say how you need to be hardened to appreciate art, yet so much postmodernist bullshit work is shit mediocre art that is disconnected from the public and often makes of poverty the new "patina". Students need to move on with their lives and being a barista artist is not glorious sorry. Quality art requires time and a lot of financial sacrifices. Hardening in the real world is a stereotype and a colossal waste of time.

Perhaps I am extremely biased, (figurative painter) clearly don't mind swimming against the current, but I strongly believe an MFA is a career choice, it will be your job, your investment and your future. Delaying it is only going to cost you time. To make your work better, hmm, time and faculty certainly sounds better than a Starbucks job for 5 years. As for the plunge for taking on more loans, well...a risk yes... but I'm happier to have the opportunity to chose.

1 hour ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

Haha unless I'm losing my mind (very possible at this point)! I spoke with her right before my interview today during an informal Q&A session with Leslie. She said that once the committees choose their candidates, they have to get the list of accepted candidates approved by the dean. She said theres also a bunch of bureaucratic processes that have to take place before formally giving an acceptance letter.

She said she was going to just make phone calls because she didn't want those who weren't getting good news to keep waiting.  

Did she tell you this in person? Communication with Hunter during this admission process has been a little bit spotty... 

Yeah, she told me the same. So whether it is tonight or another day, we shall see. Either way, I don't want a telephone call with bad news....  

I wanted to share on this forum as you all have been so generous with information. I am an older than average applicant. This was my first year applying to MFA painting programs and I picked 5 very tough programs, so I knew in advance that I'd most likely be rejected. I do plan on applying to more & different programs again next year but I'm feeling very insecure about my work right now!!!!! Conversely though I'm more energized than ever to keep making new work :-)

I also got that very weird and unprofessional rejection email from Hunter ?

Now just need to research a good fit for next round of applications. I'm also researching residency programs.

Saw that some of you posted about age. I just turned 40!! Although I'm a very young 40 ? I waited to apply until now mostly due to $$ and I just wasn't ready yet (mentally)...and I had worked for many years in Chicago for other artists post completing my BFA and it took me a while to find my own "voice" and be able to have a disciplined studio practice. But I have to say I'm highly insecure that age was and will be a huge handicap for me in the eyes of admissions committees.

Also - anyone who applied to Glasgow School of Art. It's an amazing city and school! Plus the city is more affordable compared to others - like London. I'm thinking of applying there next year as my father's family is from there and I have dual citizenship.

1 hour ago, dmirko said:

I hate this stereotype that "the real world" made you better, whatever, Art can't just be a career for "hungry" and poor. It needs to also be a viable career choice and for a lot of students/artists that means having access to higher income/health insurance of teaching at university level or just a better job than a bachelors can get you. I think it's so vitriolic to hear people say how you need to be hardened to appreciate art, yet so much postmodernist bullshit work is shit mediocre art that is disconnected from the public and often makes of poverty the new "patina". Students need to move on with their lives and being a barista artist is not glorious sorry. Quality art requires time and a lot of financial sacrifices. Hardening in the real world is a stereotype and a colossal waste of time.

Perhaps I am extremely biased, (figurative painter) clearly don't mind swimming against the current, but I strongly believe an MFA is a career choice, it will be your job, your investment and your future. Delaying it is only going to cost you time. To make your work better, hmm, time and faculty certainly sounds better than a Starbucks job for 5 years. As for the plunge for taking on more loans, well...a risk yes... but I'm happier to have the opportunity to chose.

There is a big difference between surviving for 5 years and getting real life, relevant and varied experience. Different paths are appropriate for different people, but 5 yrs as a barista, I would agree, isn't doing a lot for your career. 5 years doing work (working for a non-profit, working in an unrelated field, working as a journalist in my case) that expands your worldview and knowledge base that helps clarify what you want to do with your art is time well spent before grad school, because you will have more focus and have deeper insight into the issues you want to address with your art. You don't get a whole lot of insight about the world from inside academia unless you really push yourself to get outside of it - and that's a tough ask for most people who are consumed with the workload already.

Bottom line, if you know what you want to do while you're there and you're ready to do it, then it's probably not a bad call. A lot of younger people go to grad school at least in part to delay a lot of the inevitable life decisions - that's not a good idea IMO because they won't be any different - if that's not you then it doesn't apply. I also tend to disagree that an MFA will land you much better work than a bachelor's - unless you're trying to teach specifically, or you are making more inroads (namely selling work) with your art because of the work you did in the program. There are many other ways artists can earn a living. Also, university teaching jobs hardly equate to higher income - stability, yes - but I quit teaching because I made more money making actual work - and that didn't mean I was making a lot. I think your view on this is a little myopic. It doesn't take a whole lot to beat a university position in terms of financial compensation. The lifestyle might be hard to beat, but money will remain a concern for a long time, and tenured positions are harder to get all the time - a reality for very few MFA grads these days.  

1 hour ago, dmirko said:

By no means whatsoever am I advocating for being a barista and being hardened by the real world. I've actually never held a job like that, but serious props to those who have that kind of patience and can handle taking over complicated coffee orders. I don't have that in me. And never did I advocate for hardening in the real world. Delaying an MFA isn't costing you time at all. There are all kinds of experiences and growth to be had! For me personally, I worked for an artist, was the shop tech at a fantastic letterpress studio, and started my own company which successfully grew to a nationally distributed brand. I wouldn't trade those experiences in for anything, and they absolutely helped inform me on what I want out of a grad program and my career.

Art is definitely not just a career for the hungry and poor (have you read all the recent articles asking "is art only for the rich these days?"). The advice I was giving comes from friends I have who got their MFAs from Cranbrook, VCU, Hunter, Columbia, and UCLA. All some of the very best graduate programs in the country. And they're still struggling. And a lot peg that struggle upon the fact that they jumped into grad school straight out of undergrad, when they thought they knew what they wanted and what path they wanted to take, and yet, years later are in a different place and wish they could do it over again in a different manner. Because for a lot of people, what your dreams are at 22 are very different that what they are at 28, 29, 30, etc. I am not demeaning anyone who chooses to go that route. It absolutely works for lots of artists. I am instead offering my two cents because this is a supportive group.

I am coming from the perspective of having friends who are in tremendous debt from grad school, and art is one of the career choices that is most definitely not a guarantee to pay you back and make those loans an easy pay off. Getting an MFA is an awesome career choice! Duh! It absolutely requires time and financial sacrifice. However, there are so many options for going to grad school for free or for little money, rather than forking over tens of thousands of dollars in tuition. And sadly getting an MFA isn't a guarantee at getting a university teaching job, not to mention "higher income" that you speak of. I have friends that teach at VCU and get paid a mer $2500 per class. I have friends who are heads of their departments at respected art schools, and one who is head of the grad program at a major California university, and they still have side hustles to make ends meet. Art professors are some of the most under funded teachers in the higher education system. If you can go to grad school for free, you absolutely should, because there is zero guarantee that your work will sell or that you will get a teaching job (the field is at its most competitive it's even been, teaching jobs are incredibly hard to get these days). My advice was towards an individual who is in debate over going to grad school not only for the straight out of undergrad time track, but is an individual who is concerned about the debt they will take on. It's one thing to simply say just deal with the financial burden, and quite another to live it.

Thank you to @felixo for your well stated views on this topic!

11 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

Congrats on Yale!!

11 hours ago, eyerolling said:

Well balanced acceptance/rejection news. ;) Congratulations with Yale!!!!

Thank you!

11 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Same here! My partners is very happy that we aren't moving to LA lol. He was dreading the driving. @Gwhar1 I agree—their letter was quite nice. It felt a lot more warm than UCI's rejection haha

Congrats! Yes, I'm traveling in LA without a car now, killing me... BTW do you plan to go to the open studio on 4/1?

2 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

More than happy to support you! It sounds like you've had some awesome experiences before undergrad and that definitely has helped informed your work and where you want to go; not to mention being in school has been a tremendous catalysis for your work. Bravo! Honestly, whatever feels right to you is obviously the best path to take. I was only extending some advice because I hate seeing regret on friends' faces and wouldn't like that to be extended to yet another artist. The positive reception you've gotten is definitely something to be proud of. Glasgow would be an incredible experience, as would Purchase. And if you decide this year isn't right for you, you could always defer your acceptance, or give it another go next year. I'm just a strong advocate for artist's getting funding to take on grad school. But your gut feeling rules over anyone else's advice! 

34 minutes ago, felixo said:

There is a big difference between surviving for 5 years and getting real life, relevant and varied experience. Different paths are appropriate for different people, but 5 yrs as a barista, I would agree, isn't doing a lot for your career. 5 years doing work (working for a non-profit, working in an unrelated field, working as a journalist in my case) that expands your worldview and knowledge base that helps clarify what you want to do with your art is time well spent before grad school, because you will have more focus and have deeper insight into the issues you want to address with your art. You don't get a whole lot of insight about the world from inside academia unless you really push yourself to get outside of it - and that's a tough ask for most people who are consumed with the workload already.

Bottom line, if you know what you want to do while you're there and you're ready to do it, then it's probably not a bad call. A lot of younger people go to grad school at least in part to delay a lot of the inevitable life decisions - that's not a good idea IMO because they won't be any different - if that's not you then it doesn't apply. I also tend to disagree that an MFA will land you much better work than a bachelor's - unless you're trying to teach specifically, or you are making more inroads (namely selling work) with your art because of the work you did in the program. There are many other ways artists can earn a living. Also, university teaching jobs hardly equate to higher income - stability, yes - but I quit teaching because I made more money making actual work - and that didn't mean I was making a lot. I think your view on this is a little myopic. It doesn't take a whole lot to beat a university position in terms of financial compensation. The lifestyle might be hard to beat, but money will remain a concern for a long time, and tenured positions are harder to get all the time - a reality for very few MFA grads these days.  

I do not discredit "growth" outside of academia, but I myself, tried to find "stable job" careers in undergrad and hated them switched around a lot even studied marketing for 3 years before going for a BA in studio art. I have been a painter since I was 12, so I'm pretty sure I know I want an MFA, but it does have to be said that in any other career you expect a lot more job choice, so teaching and maybe marketing jobs with an MFA is better than trying to make it with a "BA studio art" degree. In a lot of cases what people find are dead end jobs, or unfulfilling jobs. (not to just make fun of baristas).

I have been lucky to not have a job yet, 26 years old, am a studied person and see my education as worth every penny, sadly (financially) art is my favorite thing and what I continue to gravitate towards. So I understand a lot of people have different circumstances, but I hate hearing so many people saying artists should do struggle first, to my blank stare of "why would I do that to myself". The struggle doesn't make for better art, and YES there's plenty to dislike about the direction academia takes art also so big name schools do not impress me one bit. As for teaching and income, LOL yes not high income but at least middle class, and able to pay a house and have a family which is what comes to my mind in my version of making it in the "real world".

Right now with a studio arts BA I would not find a satisfying job, I better get my ass to school again, and for a phd after that.

26 minutes ago, kkkkk said:

Thank you!

Congrats! Yes, I'm traveling in LA without a car now, killing me... BTW do you plan to go to the open studio on 4/1?

I am super broke after traveling for interviews & application season, so not able to afford flying out on such short notice. & I'm very sure I'm going to accept my offer. Figure I'll meet all the current 1st years in a few months anyway!

Edited by sylviecerise

1 hour ago, KatieB1987 said:

If you can go to grad school for free, you absolutely should, because there is zero guarantee that your work will sell or that you will get a teaching job (the field is at its most competitive it's even been, teaching jobs are incredibly hard to get these days). My advice was towards an individual who is in debate over going to grad school not only for the straight out of undergrad time track, but is an individual who is concerned about the debt they will take on. It's one thing to simply say just deal with the financial burden, and quite another to live it.

Absolutely this. 

For me, the advice of "getting to know the real world" is not about going through financial struggle, but working out the balance between working at a job & working in the studio. My first year out of undergrad I made almost nothing because I worked two flexible-but-poorly-paid positions. And I lived an hour away from my studio, which took me awhile to realize was a major problem. That gave me the experience to both get a better job working less time for more $ and also taught me the importance of having a more accessible studio (even if it's smaller). There's no overarching advice of what sort of working position will be best for you, which is why going through the motions is so important. 

Although the MFA is a degree that doesn't guarantee to pay itself off, there are certain opportunities that are more difficult to obtain without one. I can understand why someone would want to go straight into grad from undergrad (particuarilly if you're a non-traditional, older student), and there are definitely people from whom it works out. But eventually we all have to figure out that job-art balance, and spending the time between undergrad & grad school to find your stride on that front makes a lot of sense. 

As far as barista & other service industry jobs go—I know a lot of artists who take on these positions because of the flexibility that they offer. It's not because it's the only sort of job they can find. Also in general—we all get coffee & eat out, I don't think it's great to dismiss service industry jobs. It's hard work, but it also makes a lot of sense for many artists to work in service. Not everyone can work at a non-profit, or be an artist assistant / do art handling.

Edited by sylviecerise