MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

3 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Absolutely this. 

For me, the advice of "getting to know the real world" is not about going through financial struggle, but working out the balance between working at a job & working in the studio. My first year out of undergrad I made almost nothing because I worked two flexible-but-poorly-paid positions. And I lived an hour away from my studio, which took me awhile to realize was a major problem. That gave me the experience to both get a better job working less time for more $ and also taught me the importance of having a more accessible studio (even if it's smaller). There's no overarching advice of what sort of working position will be best for you, which is why going through the motions is so important. 

Although the MFA is a degree that doesn't guarantee to pay itself off, there are certain opportunities that are more difficult to obtain without one. I can understand why someone would want to go straight into grad from undergrad (particuarilly if you're a non-traditional, older student), and there are definitely people who it works out for. But eventually we all have to figure out that job-art balance, and spending the time between undergrad & grad school to find your stride on that front makes a lot of sense. 

As far as barista & other service industry jobs go—I know a lot of artists who take on these positions because of the flexibility that they offer. It's not because it's the only sort of job they can find. Also in general—we all get coffee & eat out, I don't think it's great to dismiss service industry jobs. It's hard work, but it also makes a lot of sense for many artists to work in service. Not everyone can work at a non-profit, or be an artist assistant / do art handling.

THANK YOU. This is the most nuanced response. Great points on the extra opportunities and realistic career vs fulfillment balance on making the mfa choice.

But seriously, I should not have said Barista and made fun of decent hard working people....

All I am saying...is that it is still too close to minimum wage for people with degrees and debts. Not all service jobs suck, there's more expensive cities where people don't mind getting paid in tips and where there is more tourism jobs etc. but in general the service job economy sucks and the lack of opportunity got Trump elected.

@dmirko gotta keep fighting for a $15/hr minimum wage!!!! Honestly, I'm really hoping that automation is going to eventually cause a really big cultural shift away from the whole "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality in the US. I can really get behind a universal basic income if we reach the point at which a lot of economic activity is automated. But we're a long ways from that future. 

Hello! I've been fairly silent on here over the last several weeks, but I'm super excited for everyone on here who has landed interviews and admission invites to programs they've applied to (as well as to those who've even been waitlisted, which is also an accomplishment and a hopeful one at that).

To those who are feeling disappointed during this process/cycle, I can relate: I've received four outright rejections from the seven programs I applied to, and from this forum I deduced that I didn't land interviews at the other three and that those rejections are forthcoming. I was super demoralized when I realized this a couple of weeks ago and a psychological exhaustion kicked in, and I pretty much checked out of all the fine arts-related aspects of my life and began focusing on more normal, rejuvenating activities that I put on the back burner during the application process these past couple of months (very much like Hillary Clinton taking walks in the woods after the U.S presidential election). However, as artistically counterintuitive as this sounds, it has been enormously beneficial emotionally and physically (thank you my local YMCA!), and potential images and projects I can pursue over the next several months have been coming to my mind more consistently the past several days, and I'm now excited and eager to get back to work and bring these ideas to fruition. 

So in summary to those who are disappointed, don't get down! Rehabilitate your bruised feelings in the manner you think is best, and lets look forward to next year's freakout thread ;).

1 hour ago, E-6_Processing said:

Hello! I've been fairly silent on here over the last several weeks, but I'm super excited for everyone on here who has landed interviews and admission invites to programs they've applied to (as well as to those who've even been waitlisted, which is also an accomplishment and a hopeful one at that).

To those who are feeling disappointed during this process/cycle, I can relate: I've received four outright rejections from the seven programs I applied to, and from this forum I deduced that I didn't land interviews at the other three and that those rejections are forthcoming. I was super demoralized when I realized this a couple of weeks ago and a psychological exhaustion kicked in, and I pretty much checked out of all the fine arts-related aspects of my life and began focusing on more normal, rejuvenating activities that I put on the back burner during the application process these past couple of months (very much like Hillary Clinton taking walks in the woods after the U.S presidential election). However, as artistically counterintuitive as this sounds, it has been enormously beneficial emotionally and physically (thank you my local YMCA!), and potential images and projects I can pursue over the next several months have been coming to my mind more consistently the past several days, and I'm now excited and eager to get back to work and bring these ideas to fruition. 

So in summary to those who are disappointed, don't get down! Rehabilitate your bruised feelings in the manner you think is best, and lets look forward to next year's freakout thread ;).

Hey! I can quite relate to this self-care period after applications before getting back to the studio. Sorry for the no-nos. It sucks, but it has been a tough last year. From your old posts I can see we agree when it comes to politics. So yes, tough times, we need to make sure we can build a good mental space where art can exist. I have also been spending more time walking outside, reading books, going away from the hard ambition mode needed in order to keep going during the applications. The application process is expensive so I had to work more on my bread jobs to get money flow. Wish you a good year and hope you get nice residencies meanwhile! Also, if you could imagine yourself abroad, perhaps apply in Europe? There are some posts the last few pages with a bunch of schools that are still taking applicants, most of them don't have application fees so it is manageable to do it just to see if it works. Not a bad time to be abroad anyway. Take care! :)

Now that we are talking about the prospects of an MFA, let's talk about earning potential. I'll be honest, I am so happy to be a part of the arts, and it took me a long time to get to this point where I am ready to take part in an MFA (undergrad was not in the arts), BUT I am horrified about my financial health in the future. In my heart, I know that this is a path that makes me happy, and I am 100% certain that I am destined to be on this path (if that makes sense), at the same time, I know that I have enormous debt to pay off, and have to think about providing for basic needs, and my future family, which is why every step I take towards the MFA is one that is taken with a mix of joy and fear. Even if I hardly pay for my MFA, I will still have big city living expenses that will not be covered by my scholarships, not to mention material fees and the fact that I will be out of the job market for a minimum of two years, since I have to attend full time and TA to qualify. So, what say you? All advice is good advice. Note: I am an older student, so time is of the essence. Waiting another year to apply sounds like waiting an eternity to be able to settle down, start a family and do all the other non-art related things I want to do.

Edited by Artsy2017
typo

3 hours ago, E-6_Processing said:

ill be back next year.  im thinking larger pieces this time around.

New here. Waitin to hear from Boston U for sculpture. Anyone else? Got info about the program? Guess it ain't funded so not sure if the debt is worth it. Boston is a tight city. Might not be good for sculpture though. Hit me up!

8 hours ago, dmirko said:

I do not discredit "growth" outside of academia, but I myself, tried to find "stable job" careers in undergrad and hated them switched around a lot even studied marketing for 3 years before going for a BA in studio art. I have been a painter since I was 12, so I'm pretty sure I know I want an MFA, but it does have to be said that in any other career you expect a lot more job choice, so teaching and maybe marketing jobs with an MFA is better than trying to make it with a "BA studio art" degree. In a lot of cases what people find are dead end jobs, or unfulfilling jobs. (not to just make fun of baristas).

I have been lucky to not have a job yet, 26 years old, am a studied person and see my education as worth every penny, sadly (financially) art is my favorite thing and what I continue to gravitate towards. So I understand a lot of people have different circumstances, but I hate hearing so many people saying artists should do struggle first, to my blank stare of "why would I do that to myself". The struggle doesn't make for better art, and YES there's plenty to dislike about the direction academia takes art also so big name schools do not impress me one bit. As for teaching and income, LOL yes not high income but at least middle class, and able to pay a house and have a family which is what comes to my mind in my version of making it in the "real world".

Right now with a studio arts BA I would not find a satisfying job, I better get my ass to school again, and for a phd after that.

It sounds like you know yourself and your work and are ready to do this, All good things, but I think some of the message is getting lost. Again, I am not advocating for a 'struggle' or for hardening - for me it was rich and fascinating life experience that actually made me a softer, more empathetic person. That 'struggle' narrative needs to be put aside and working in general (in whatever capacity) does not need to be associated with that in this context. Saying you have not had a job at 26 makes me curious about your dismissal of varied experiences though. 

I also feel compelled to mention that in many places in this country a university teaching job may be insufficient for a middle class lifestyle. I'm not talking high income. I'm talking making ends meet survival - paying bills, funding your art, putting away for retirement and maybe going out to eat sometimes. Meaning a full time teaching appointment and affording a house and a family is often unrealistic given the compensation. Maybe if you have a partner who also has stable work you're okay. And as far as jobs go considering financial compensation, unless you're going into a major growth industry and your degree correlates to industry specific training (healthcare, tech, engineering, biotech) - university degrees aren't necessarily going to do a whole lot beyond a bachelor's. It's more how you hustle that degree and use it creatively. Lot's of PhD's have these same issues. Not trying to be discouraging, but it's better to be clear eyed about it. If you go where the cost of living is very low, you could be okay, but a lot of artists want to be where things are happening - and inevitably costs are higher in those places. I really think that equating an MFA with achieving a middle class lifestyle is a dangerous association that could leave one disappointed and disillusioned. It's possible of course, but if it happens it will be because of much more than getting the degree (you are an exceptional artist/teacher/hustler/marketer of your work etc). The main thing, and I think the most realistic expectation one should have with any graduate degree that is not required for the job (MFA is generally this - with the exception of university teaching) is clarity and growth with your work - be it art, research, etc. As @KatieB1987 mentions, she's got friends from great programs who are still figuring it out financially. Pay attention to this. This is the norm, these folks are not exceptions. The exceptions are the university jobs that support a middle class lifestyle. Not saying it's not worth going for of course. 

Sorry for the getting off topic of everyone's admission process! I just feel like there is a little bit that needs to be addressed in these statements. 

23 minutes ago, felixo said:

It sounds like you know yourself and your work and are ready to do this, All good things, but I think some of the message is getting lost. Again, I am not advocating for a 'struggle' or for hardening - for me it was rich and fascinating life experience that actually made me a softer, more empathetic person. That 'struggle' narrative needs to be put aside and working in general (in whatever capacity) does not need to be associated with that in this context. Saying you have not had a job at 26 makes me curious about your dismissal of varied experiences though. 

I also feel compelled to mention that in many places in this country a university teaching job may be insufficient for a middle class lifestyle. I'm not talking high income. I'm talking making ends meet survival - paying bills, funding your art, putting away for retirement and maybe going out to eat sometimes. Meaning a full time teaching appointment and affording a house and a family is often unrealistic given the compensation. Maybe if you have a partner who also has stable work you're okay. And as far as jobs go considering financial compensation, unless you're going into a major growth industry and your degree correlates to industry specific training (healthcare, tech, engineering, biotech) - university degrees aren't necessarily going to do a whole lot beyond a bachelor's. It's more how you hustle that degree and use it creatively. Lot's of PhD's have these same issues. Not trying to be discouraging, but it's better to be clear eyed about it. If you go where the cost of living is very low, you could be okay, but a lot of artists want to be where things are happening - and inevitably costs are higher in those places. I really think that equating an MFA with achieving a middle class lifestyle is a dangerous association that could leave one disappointed and disillusioned. It's possible of course, but if it happens it will be because of much more than getting the degree (you are an exceptional artist/teacher/hustler/marketer of your work etc). The main thing, and I think the most realistic expectation one should have with any graduate degree that is not required for the job (MFA is generally this - with the exception of university teaching) is clarity and growth with your work - be it art, research, etc. As @KatieB1987 mentions, she's got friends from great programs who are still figuring it out financially. Pay attention to this. This is the norm, these folks are not exceptions. The exceptions are the university jobs that support a middle class lifestyle. Not saying it's not worth going for of course. 

Sorry for the getting off topic of everyone's admission process! I just feel like there is a little bit that needs to be addressed in these statements. 

My two cents, and speaking from experience, is that this is very true. My partner just got his PhD in history. He is starting a tenure track job in a somewhat rural part of new england that is two hours to a big city (and he got VERY lucky). His salary would not support a middle class lifestyle in a larger place. Seeing MFAs get even less money for faculty jobs, it is good to be realistic about what you are getting into. I think a crucial part is understanding that success in arts is arbitrary to some degree. People who put in an equal amount of work at a top program end up in completely different ends of the art world spectrum. In any case, I wish everyone the best, it is a difficult and daunting process and I hope everyone ends up achieving their dreams.

That being said, after bombing my Yale interview I of course was not accepted! I did get into SAIC, where most likely I'll get 1/3 need based aid, and have to pay the rest out of pocket. I have been hearing a lot of people say to me to wait another year, which I might. What do you all think? I want to move on with my life and start my MFA, but with a two and a half year old it may be impossible in Chicago, especially since my partner will be in New England. I am 26 now and a bit worried that time is passing too. I have heard people applying several times to top schools but a bit worried about not making the cut next year anyway. Self-doubt is high!!

All best and congrats to everyone!

I STRONGLY recommend reading Sharon Louden's new book Artist as Cultural Producer!!!!!! Sharon herself went to SAIC, then to Yale and graduated with more than a 100K in student debt in 91, which would be equivalent of more than 200K today. She managed to pay it off in 10 years. Artist as Cultural Producer is beautifully written and includes stories by 40 artists sharing their way of figuring out this madness of making a sustainable living as an artist.

Judging from what @tugbamina_871, @KatieB1987, @dmirko and others are saying you would enjoy reading the book or seeing her on tour with the book. There really isn't a right or wrong, black or white way to be an artist much less making a living as an artist. It is icky and messy and nuanced. #staywoke

@tugbamina_871 this is part of the dance of life - priorities etc.

I would take the time to find a program that works for you in your life with your specific demands, personally. For various reasons it doesn't sound like SAIC will be that, but I don't know. Disclosure - my partner and I are from Chicago - we are in NC for a portion of my partner's career - and I found a program here that I very much like, but feel lucky about that. But I am happy I did it this way. While in Chicago I worked hard commercially and on my art and while I am older, I feel good about how things have panned out. I couldn't imagine raising a kid alone while in school, but hey, people do amazing things. I would say that, at 26, you've got some time to be picky and it sounds like you'll have strong prospects in the future. 

7 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Now that we are talking about the prospects of an MFA, let's talk about earning potential. I'll be honest, I am so happy to be a part of the arts, and it took me a long time to get to this point where I am ready to take part in an MFA (undergrad was not in the arts), BUT I am horrified about my financial health in the future. In my heart, I know that this is a path that makes me happy, and I am 100% certain that I am destined to be on this path (if that makes sense), at the same time, I know that I have enormous debt to pay off, and have to think about providing for basic needs, and my future family, which is why every step I take towards the MFA is one that is taken with a mix of joy and fear. Even if I hardly pay for my MFA, I will still have big city living expenses that will not be covered by my scholarships, not to mention material fees and the fact that I will be out of the job market for a minimum of two years, since I have to attend full time and TA to qualify. So, what say you? All advice is good advice. Note: I am an older student, so time is of the essence. Waiting another year to apply sounds like waiting an eternity to be able to settle down, start a family and do all the other non-art related things I want to do.

I'm 26, an would not want to wait either, if I don't get into the schools I'm waiting on, or the funding is too little to be able to do it... I'll just look for programs in Germany, their winter semester applications are april to june. I am quite worried about jobs that may come from it, but I want an MFA. I say go for it if you can afford it, if it's too difficult look for spring admission/ rolling admissions, residencies or programs abroad. That's my two cents.

@felixo I am aware an MFA is barely a middle class life specially in more expensive bigger cities, but however pessimistic people want to be about it; teaching is a reliable way to make a living while working in the ART field.

That said, I have already realized College isn't the source of wealth, STEM careers are at an advantage there. I believe starting a small business will be the surest source of economic growth, but until I have the funds and credit for it, a stable decent job is a safe bet. I know MFAs are not enough, big name institutional jobs go to phds. Also, I think PhD's teach more kinds of classes. And those mentioned professors in big name schools, are...teaching for the money. I'm not stuck geographically in Southern California or NYC, there are a lot of universities, colleges and community colleges that hire art teachers. That there is job competition, there is, but all these negative views on getting an MFA are for business majors. People on this forum are all awake to it and still willing to do it. 

As for my art, I'm a figurative painter and want the MFA to help me make bolder work that can get into galleries, larger scale work, and perhaps explore an entrepreneurial approach to art making. The only reason for me getting an MFA is my art. Otherwise I would have continued in marketing, or kept taking premed science classes or go on to urban planning for a masters.

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I STRONGLY recommend reading Sharon Louden's new book Artist as Cultural Producer!!!!!!

Thanks Poodle-Doodle, I will read asap! and congrats on all of your fine program options, you deserve all of them. Your work is fantastic and judging by the way you treat folks in this forum you'd elevate any program! 

7 minutes ago, dmirko said:

@felixo I am aware an MFA is barely a middle class life specially in more expensive bigger cities, but however pessimistic people want to be about it; teaching is a reliable way to make a living while working in the ART field.

That said, I have already realized College isn't the source of wealth, STEM careers are at an advantage there. I believe starting a small business will be the surest source of economic growth, but until I have the funds and credit for it, a stable decent job is a safe bet. I know MFAs are not enough, big name institutional jobs go to phds. Also, I think PhD's teach more kinds of classes. And those mentioned professors in big name schools, are...teaching for the money. I'm not stuck geographically in Southern California or NYC, there are a lot of universities, colleges and community colleges that hire art teachers. That there is job competition, there is, but all these negative views on getting an MFA are for business majors. People on this forum are all awake to it and still willing to do it. 

As for my art, I'm a figurative painter and want the MFA to help me make bolder work that can get into galleries, larger scale work, and perhaps explore an entrepreneurial approach to art making. The only reason for me getting an MFA is my art. Otherwise I would have continued in marketing, or kept taking premed science classes or go on to urban planning for a masters.

I don't mean to be negative or discouraging in any way! I mean, I'm on this forum for a reason - I am starting my MFA in the fall, so I believe in it and I believe in making art your work/life and the sacrifices that entails. It's just that some of what you were saying conflicted with some of my experiences and the experiences of many that I know, so it felt important to raise that point for any others who may be weighing various factors. Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I STRONGLY recommend reading Sharon Louden's new book Artist as Cultural Producer!!!!!! Sharon herself went to SAIC, then to Yale and graduated with more than a 100K in student debt in 91, which would be equivalent of more than 200K today. She managed to pay it off in 10 years. Artist as Cultural Producer is beautifully written and includes stories by 40 artists sharing their way of figuring out this madness of making a sustainable living as an artist.

Judging from what @tugbamina_871, @KatieB1987, @dmirko and others are saying you would enjoy reading the book or seeing her on tour with the book. There really isn't a right or wrong, black or white way to be an artist much less making a living as an artist. It is icky and messy and nuanced. #staywoke

Wow, that is seriously remarkable!!!! Definitely going to have to check this book out—it is such a confusing world and reading the varied experiences others is so helpful. Thank you for the recommendation!!

Edited by sylviecerise

@Artsy2017

If time and finances really are of the essence, then I would look very carefully at what MFA programs fit those needs. I don't know where you applied this year, but if finance is an issue then steer clear of anything in New York where your living costs will definitely be higher than other cities. There are great programs in smaller cities and towns where you could still easily take a train into New York to get your gallery/museum/big city fix. Also talk to each of the schools you are considering about financial support. Some offer more beyond tuition coverage, such as living stipends (for example, Tyler gives each of its students $4800 per semester as a living stipend. They're not making it rain, but it definitely helps). Ask schools what kinds of job opportunities they offer... many schools have positions for grad students to be studio techs, wood shop monitors, gallery installers, etc. Some schools pay for health care, or part of it. So, in short, call the schools you were accepted to and find out all you can about the possibilities to make things slightly easier for you financially. Also, if you decide to wait until next year, applying to residencies is a great option to still get some amazing artistic experiences. Best of luck! Here's hoping you can have your art cake and eat it too!

@felixo

So well said! And I totally agreed. Again folks, sorry to diverge for a bit, but I do think it's important to discuss the realities of taking on an MFA and what that means for your career. I'm sure we all wish it was a reality that getting an MFA equated a plethora of well-paying teaching opportunities in exciting locations, but unfortunately that's not the reality. Regardless, I think it's awesome to be witness to such a motivated bunch of artists from all kinds of backgrounds and experiences so revved up to take on grad school. As a supportive lil forum, I definitely appreciate this dialogue! 

@tugbamina_871

Congratulations on the acceptance to SAIC! It honestly sounds like it would be very difficult for you and your family, however, to raise a child while parents are in different parts of the country and one is in grad school. I know the "wait until next year" chorus isn't what you want to hear, but a great example would be a friend of mine who reapplied a second time and was offered a full ride to Yale, with a living stipend. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen for everyone, but there definitely is an advantage for those who have already been through the process once and have gained so much more knowledge from it (and from forums like this one!), and developed their work more, that their applications will be much stronger the second time around. Sounds like you need to do some thinking and decide if it's more important for you to dive into grad school right now, or rethink what schools you'd like to go to in order to make family life and finances easier. I wish you all the best, and seriously admire you for juggling a wee babe with the grad school process!

@Poodle-Doodle

YES! This book is fantastic! Sharon offers such great insight and advice, all the while making it very clear that yep, there is absolutely no one way to be an artist. And that's a beautiful thing.

I kinda wanna interject my input on the awesome conversation of post undergrad academia continuation but I think everything has been said. I will say though that I'm doing the same thing and I'm even in debate of leaving my dream job (currently working as a Short From coordinator for Super Deluxe) to continue my education but I'm okay with that. The way I've looked at it over the past year before I even applied was that I wanted to weigh my privilege of being abled to study and be a member of higher education over the things that I'm comfortable with now. Not everyone gets the chance to even finish their undergrad. I know some applicants here are 30+ but I'm 24 and I have CLOSE friends that have two children right now and it scares the shit out of me (not to undermine though who study and have kids because holy shit... those are some fucking epic people. I just know how difficult it gets balancing a family, academics, and everyday life). So when I started thinking about taking time off versus working through the sleepless nights just a little longer I thought it would be a great option considering that I transferred to CalArts as a third year so I'd be doing my BFA and MFA within 4 years time. So I respect everything that everyone has said but I think it REALLY depends on individual situations and it's never going to be an easy decision.

Edited by Kamari

9 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

Wow thank you!  I just shared this with a friend and found out she's doing a lecture near me next week, gonna try to get off work early so I can go!

4 minutes ago, meghanmetier said:

Wow thank you!  I just shared this with a friend and found out she's doing a lecture near me next week, gonna try to get off work early so I can go!

Oooh! You should absolutely go if you can! I got an advanced reader's edition of Sharon's book a few months ago (serious perk of working part time in a book store) and judging by how eloquently she writes, I can only imagine that she's an excellent and warm hearted speaker. Enjoy!

@KatieB1987 aaaghhhh everything your saying is making me really question what I'm doing.  I really would like to go to Pratt and there's a lot of really great painters coming out of their program, but I'm looking at taking on $70,000 for it.  I just emailed them asking if they can offer more scholarship, and I'm gonna pray I get into Tyler.  But I really feel ready to start grad school and have no concise backup plans, I live in Iowa and see grad school as my only option to get into art since I have no community, but honestly that much debt is so frightening.  I live off of $1,200 a month right now and paying $600/month in loans is just bewildering to me. 

1 hour ago, meghanmetier said:

@KatieB1987 aaaghhhh everything your saying is making me really question what I'm doing.  I really would like to go to Pratt and there's a lot of really great painters coming out of their program, but I'm looking at taking on $70,000 for it.  I just emailed them asking if they can offer more scholarship, and I'm gonna pray I get into Tyler.  But I really feel ready to start grad school and have no concise backup plans, I live in Iowa and see grad school as my only option to get into art since I have no community, but honestly that much debt is so frightening.  I live off of $1,200 a month right now and paying $600/month in loans is just bewildering to me. 

Oh no! I certainly don't want to put anyone into a head spin! But it is a big decision, with a lot of factors involved. I'm obviously in the camp of believing that no one should have to go into serious debt to follow through with their art dreams. But sacrifices definitely are made as an artist. Clearly your expenses will increase moving from Iowa to New York, but I totally understand your desire to be part of an artistic community and soak up all that New York has to offer. Regardless, Pratt is such a great program. I have a good friend who is currently a first year in their painting program... I'd be happy to reach out to her and see what insight she has to offer in regards to dealing with high tuition and New York living costs. Truly hope Pratt emails you back with some good news!

4 minutes ago, KatieB1987 said:

Oh no! I certainly don't want to put anyone into a head spin! But it is a big decision, with a lot of factors involved. I'm obviously in the camp of believing that no one should have to go into serious debt to follow through with their art dreams. But sacrifices definitely are made as an artist. Clearly your expenses will increase moving from Iowa to New York, but I totally understand your desire to be part of an artistic community and soak up all that New York has to offer. Regardless, Pratt is such a great program. I have a good friend who is currently a first year in their painting program... I'd be happy to reach out to her and see what insight she has to offer in regards to dealing with high tuition and New York living costs. Truly hope Pratt emails you back with some good news!

That'd be awesome if you got us in contact!  Yea expenses would rise, but I'm living on such little because I'm making that much, ugh.  I'm hoping at least moving to NY would provide opportunity to not work just as a babysitter and barista :blink: