MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

On 3/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, jguar4 said:

My interview is in person on wednesday. I still haven't heard anymore from the other schools. Im starting to think Uconn will be a rejection. Tell me how your interview goes with purchase. 

UM my interview went terribly lmao All of the interview questions were really strange to me, like "how do you feel about critiques, because we have a lot of them here", like I'm pretty sure if I'm going for my MFA I'm expecting to have critiques all the time? not sure why anyone would answer "oh, i hate critiques". They also asked like what my other skills were that weren't art related, and I was like "organizing?" lmao and then it turns out that they actually just wanted to know like what I did besides painting. They asked very little about my work, besides what do I find most exciting about it, they asked how I felt about working collaboratively (another weird question), they asked why I wanted to go to purchase, obviously, they asked about my influences, im trying to think what else they asked. they said they ask everyone the same questions, it was very quick, 30 mins, and they were like we actually have to go, in the middle of me asking them a question. Overall I dont feel great about it, hope this helps with yours tho, good luck!!

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I got the phone call and met with one of the professors from PennDesign for brunch last Sunday but totally forgot about the official letter. Thanks for the heads up! 

I forgot too, I have already accepted at another school. I thought I would throw it up for those searching this forum next year. Good luck on making your decision, you killed it.

@meghanmetier I actually believe a lot of schools do this, especially those with smaller class sizes where the numbers matter more - it's sort of the only way to get the most preferred class. Most situations, not all accepted in the first go will commit, and if you're the school you want to keep your options open for round two - it sucks for applicants, but in a lot of cases it means you're not quite out of the game yet. =(

@Poodle-Doodle you've killed it - looking forward to seeing what you do.

Lots of inspiring work around here in general. Makes me even more grateful that I'm going back to school next year. 

Denied from Tulane-not too surprised all things considered. It was somewhat expected. They only take a couple of painters a year. And i did apply last minute. Well on to next year. Its okay. I still have a nice in portland.

13 minutes ago, icw said:

Denied from Tulane-not too surprised all things considered. It was somewhat expected. They only take a couple of painters a year. And i did apply last minute. Well on to next year. Its okay. I still have a nice in portland.

Same dude. We are good enough. There is always next year with more options. Never stop creating. ?❤️?

Just to reiterate I think that every serious artist on here would do well not to look at a rejection as a value judgement on their work, but rather as an issue of 'fit' - there is no objective measurement for 'good' in art, especially when you get to dedicated, serious practitioners. There is only taste.

If you dedicate time and mental energy to your practice you will grow over time. If a school doesn't take you it could be for any number of reasons. It could be demographic. It could be they have enough of your medium addressing this or that issue. It could be they want someone who has a different color palette, simply because someone in the dept. responds to that more for some reason. It could be that your work shows promise, but they want you to have a deeper understanding of why it shows promise first. 

Keep applying, keep researching a good fit, and keep making art. You will hone your application and your voice as an artist - every application season has the potential to make you a better artist. 

Edited by felixo

4 minutes ago, felixo said:

Just to reiterate I think that every serious artist on here would do well not to look at a rejection as a value judgement on their work, but rather as an issue of 'fit' - there is no objective measurement for 'good' in art, especially when you get to dedicated, serious practitioners. There is only taste.

If you dedicate time and mental energy to your practice you will grow over time. If a school doesn't take you it could be for any number of reasons. It could be demographic. It could be they have enough of your medium addressing this or that issue. It could be they want someone who has a different color palette, simply because someone in the dept. responds to that more for some reason. It could be that your work shows promise, but they want you to have a deeper understanding of why it shows promise first. 

Keep applying, keep researching a good fit, and keep making art. You will hone your application and your voice as an artist - every application season has the potential to make you a better artist. 

I won't let it get me down even though it sucks. I'll keep creating and next year my portfolio will be stronger and I'll have more $ to apply to more schools. But thanks for this. ?

Edited by marlymarl

17 minutes ago, felixo said:

Absolutley, i was just telling my friend at work, some programs look at not only your work but your background and how you may fit holistically into their program. I've some people with great work get rejected from competitive programs. That is why its competitive. And that is okay. It does not always reflect on your practice. And the only thing to do is keep creating. And there is always next year.

Rejected from PennDesign.  So thats 6 rejections, 2 interviews and 1 no idea.  Of course I would have wanted to be wanted by everyone but this isn't a bad showing for a first go and the programs I interviewed for are great. I did the Skype with Purchase today and it is very alluring. Inexpensive, dual degree, near NYC w/o the $$ for city living and a diverse program producing quality interdisciplinary work. There was an excitement in the voices of the ladies who interviewed me when they were describing the program and that was nice to hear. Before I make this choice I am going to have to be accepted first :) 

Hihi, I'm new to this site, but have been lurking on this forum for the past couple weeks. Some people are asking about Tyler painting decisions.

I was one of the five accepted for painting in early February with half scholarship and only recently (like a couple days ago), determined it was not the right fit for me. Sorry for exacerbating the hold up for you guys, but take heart, they're still pulling people in!

56 minutes ago, Gwhar1 said:

Rejected from PennDesign.  So thats 6 rejections, 2 interviews and 1 no idea.  Of course I would have wanted to be wanted by everyone but this isn't a bad showing for a first go and the programs I interviewed for are great. I did the Skype with Purchase today and it is very alluring. Inexpensive, dual degree, near NYC w/o the $$ for city living and a diverse program producing quality interdisciplinary work. There was an excitement in the voices of the ladies who interviewed me when they were describing the program and that was nice to hear. Before I make this choice I am going to have to be accepted first :) 

Purchase is a great school. I went there for undergrad. The facilities are a little rough, but the professors are top notch, really fantastic people who go out of their way to see you succeed as an artist, and all the grad students were wonderful, inquisitive artists making really solid work. And having the city readily available without being in the city is ideal (in my experience). Good luck, hope you get in!

Hey all! First time poster here! Has anybody who applied to any of the Arizona State University (ASU) MFA programs heard anything? I applied for Intermedia with a secondary focus in Photography. I called a week ago to see about notifications and they told me I should hear something by March 13th, but I haven't. Does anyone know anything? 

1 hour ago, _oddity said:

Hihi, I'm new to this site, but have been lurking on this forum for the past couple weeks. Some people are asking about Tyler painting decisions.

I was one of the five accepted for painting in early February with half scholarship and only recently (like a couple days ago), determined it was not the right fit for me. Sorry for exacerbating the hold up for you guys, but take heart, they're still pulling people in!

3cb68e606849c196aa7f6f075e9f3beaec51ff2a62eae36677196313e0afe90a.jpg

4 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

The school I go to better be like....

tumblr_nnzt4yiR3y1utpgj0o1_400.gif?token

What school is your top choice?  You can obviously leverage your scholarship at SAIC to them.  The world of MFAs is literally your oyster.

4 hours ago, Rosenfleuter said:

Hey all! First time poster here! Has anybody who applied to any of the Arizona State University (ASU) MFA programs heard anything? I applied for Intermedia with a secondary focus in Photography. I called a week ago to see about notifications and they told me I should hear something by March 13th, but I haven't. Does anyone know anything? 

I also applied to ASU for photography and haven't heard a peep yet.   I've been ready to pull the trigger on Arizona (my other top choice) since mid February but felt the need to wait it out with ASU...but my patience is wearing thin at this point.  I looked at the forum from last year and it seems like they might notify people via the status in the web portal...just checking it every day and waiting for it to say something besides 'In Review'

5 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

do you have a website for your portfolio?  i love viewing other painters work.

3 hours ago, Jturne12 said:

I also applied to ASU for photography and haven't heard a peep yet.   I've been ready to pull the trigger on Arizona (my other top choice) since mid February but felt the need to wait it out with ASU...but my patience is wearing thin at this point.  I looked at the forum from last year and it seems like they might notify people via the status in the web portal...just checking it every day and waiting for it to say something besides 'In Review'

I just worry because according to past submissions, if one doesn't hear by February they are probably rejected... this year seems really weird though, apparently nobody has heard from them in terms of any of the MFA programs (except in theatre, I think). I'm getting impatient as well. Good luck to you, it's my top choice as well! Keep me notified if you hear anything, I'll do the same!