MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

3 hours ago, dunton said:

I got into UIC with full tuition remission and a very generous stipend.  Whooooooooooooo! Anyone else going moving to Chicago?

I just left (Chicago, not UIC) this past summer, but have some friends that went through that program. They really enjoyed it and made good work. Underrated program IMO, (given the giant of SAIC looming) - I hope you find it rewarding and good luck! If I stayed in Chicago I would go there or U of C (if I had that option of course - I never tried).

Edited by felixo

Interesting with the info on Tyler's process. If rejections already went out, I guess that means I'm on their "waitlist" (though who knows how far down!). I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be amazing if it did come through- though having a full ride offered at BU is pretty hard to pass up.

I interviewed at RISD last week for painting. Anyone get acceptances yet? They said I'd hear over the next month, so I know it's probably already early to ask, but can't wait to hear. 

5 hours ago, wompwompwomp said:

Interesting with the info on Tyler's process. If rejections already went out, I guess that means I'm on their "waitlist" (though who knows how far down!). I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be amazing if it did come through- though having a full ride offered at BU is pretty hard to pass up.

I interviewed at RISD last week for painting. Anyone get acceptances yet? They said I'd hear over the next month, so I know it's probably already early to ask, but can't wait to hear. 

I emailed Tyler again. No response. Last time was from Mark I believe. He said early March. I don't know lol

Edited by This guy

Hey I've been lurking for a loooooooong time and thought I'd finally post. 

I got into Pratt in December for Experience design, got into Parsons yesterday for Design and Technology, and I have an interview with SVA tomorrow! I'm really excited about Parsons since it was my number one choice but unfortunately, I didn't get a scholarship. I'm still going to go and pray that future me is successful and can pay off my undergrad + grad loans. 

This may not be the place for it but basically what I want to know is how many of you are also going to undertake huge loans in hopes that you'll be able to pay them off with an MFA degree?

Good luck to you all!

11 hours ago, dunton said:

I got into UIC with full tuition remission and a very generous stipend.  Whooooooooooooo! Anyone else going moving to Chicago?

Congrats! Also 90% sure that I'm going to UIC. Negotiating my financial package now... 

On 3/16/2017 at 0:54 AM, Kamari said:

I too am waiting to hear back from Columbia, although I've been put in touch with two of the current grad students there and they've had very positive things to say, about both my work and ideologies and the way the faculty feels about me. Fingers crossed for those os us still waiting.

Would you go if they don't have funding? I feel like that is why they are taking so long to respond. You could buy a house for that kinda money! 

9 hours ago, 7edkim said:

Congrats! Also 90% sure that I'm going to UIC. Negotiating my financial package now... 

Awesome.  Good luck! I'm going to go check out the campus and meet faculty in two weeks.  I'll make my final decision then.  Maybe we will be school mates!

13 hours ago, LastGradStudent said:

Hey I've been lurking for a loooooooong time and thought I'd finally post. 

I got into Pratt in December for Experience design, got into Parsons yesterday for Design and Technology, and I have an interview with SVA tomorrow! I'm really excited about Parsons since it was my number one choice but unfortunately, I didn't get a scholarship. I'm still going to go and pray that future me is successful and can pay off my undergrad + grad loans. 

This may not be the place for it but basically what I want to know is how many of you are also going to undertake huge loans in hopes that you'll be able to pay them off with an MFA degree?

Good luck to you all!

Work and hope for the best, prepare for the worst - aka 30-50k a year hustling adjunct etc. Estimate what your monthly payments are going to be upon graduation, and then imagine living your life without that money for 10-20 years (whatever your plan is). If you can do that, go for it. If it seems rough....it very well may be. 

Source - have been paying between 400-800$ a month for about 8 years on my loans (about 60k debt - I pay more when I can afford it) and it very much affects lifestyle. It could be the difference between having a roommate as a 32 y.o. or having your own apt, whatever. It could be what prevents you from accruing enough savings to put down for a house/condo at that age. Not saying I would trade in my education - but...for some perspective.

*This assumes no inheritance, SO with main income, support from parents etc. Basically, if you're not on your own financially, the situation could be different of course. In fact, that often IS the difference. 

Edited by felixo

46 minutes ago, felixo said:

Work and hope for the best, prepare for the worst - aka 30-50k a year hustling adjunct etc. Estimate what your monthly payments are going to be upon graduation, and then imagine living your life without that money for 10-20 years (whatever your plan is). If you can do that, go for it. If it seems rough....it very well may be. 

Source - have been paying between 400-800$ a month for about 8 years on my loans (about 60k debt - I pay more when I can afford it) and it very much affects lifestyle. It could be the difference between having a roommate as a 32 y.o. or having your own apt, whatever. It could be what prevents you from accruing enough savings to put down for a house/condo at that age. Not saying I would trade in my education - but...for some perspective.

3 hours ago, Artsy2017 said:

Would you go if they don't have funding? I feel like that is why they are taking so long to respond. You could buy a house for that kinda money! 

I agree it is a lot of money for me personally. But it is true that we have no idea what is each of our own financial situations in this forum. Sometimes a person will be in debt or they might have trust funds or live in a close relationship to upper class/rich circles which does not means that the accounts will be shared but that the network might open doors that will lead to an ok financial situation I guess. 

In my case I don't have a trustfund and cannot afford to go to Columbia but I do understand those who want to give a try even if debt comes together. The idea of perhaps/maybe/who knows getting the "right" connections, being part of the Whitney Biennial, being shown in some interesting gallery, hanging out with Sarah Sze in their mentoring week doesn't seem bad to me. We have unequal oportunities as a whole in America so it wouldn't be different in this forum as in the school's fees. 

Good luck everyone with getting funding, hopefully people who can afford it do not ask for funding so that can leave a little more chance for those who don't.

And congrats everyone with their acceptances! @Poodle-Doodle, you deserve all your acceptances, hope you can make it to Columbia with funding! (idk if that is what you want but Nyc, good school and funding sounds like a dream (mine) at least. ?

Edited by Tyra1992

17 minutes ago, This guy said:

Just wondering, doesTyler emails or calls? I feel as if they should have atleast done something by now. 

It seems like in years past, they have mailed out hard copies of rejection letters. Not sure how they notify acceptances though (guessing email?)

1 hour ago, sylviecerise said:

It seems like in years past, they have mailed out hard copies of rejection letters. Not sure how they notify acceptances though (guessing email?)

So, I guess I am still good. 

1 hour ago, firstfemprez said:

Hi, still haven't heard from BU in painting...are other people still waiting on a decision??? I'm already into MICA so I'm not super concerned but would just like to know already... eek

Hi, Congrats on MICA!  I heard from BU last week, but decisions have to be made by the 24th of March, so I think depending on the amount of people who accept at that stage then the admissions will send out the next round of acceptances. I hope this helps!

Edited by Impressionism