MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Such a dilemma!

I got a call from Ron at VCU this morning to tell me that I've been accepted to their painting program! They've offered to pay for my first two semesters, with a possibility of covering the third, a $5000 per semester stipend, and TA opportunities.

Dang. I've been all pumped about attending Tyler with a full ride, and now I'm entirely thrown for a loop! Geez louise, it's going to be a big debate of a weekend :wacko:

Seeking any advice or insight you kind fellows have to offer!

Edited by KatieB1987

Well ... had my interview with RCA a few days ago. I found a last minute flight for a semi-reasonable price and said "f@ck it". I think it went pretty ok ... there are quite a few things I wanted to touch on in the interview but blanked. I was nervous but I answered the questions pretty coherently ...

I just received an email saying that I would hear back about my application soon, and they view every application and they've had a massive amount of applicants this year ... I take this as "you are on the waitlist (but probably won't get an offer)". :unsure:

Has anyone who applied to the RCA Vis Com program heard back yet?

1 hour ago, KatieB1987 said:

Such a dilemma!

I got a call from Ron at VCU this morning to tell me that I've been accepted to their painting program! They've offered to pay for my first two semesters, with a possibility of covering the third, a $5000 per semester stipend, and TA opportunities.

Dang. I've been all pumped about attending Tyler with a full ride, and now I'm entirely thrown for a loop! Geez louise, it's going to be a big debate of a weekend :wacko:

Seeking any advice or insight you kind fellows have to offer!

I don't know that much about VCU, but the huge pluses for Tyler would be 1. you have a full ride so absolutely no debt after school 2. Philly has a very vibrant scene of its own 3. Tyler is also super close to NYC. I have a friend (non artist) who is living in Richmond now, and while he says its okay and there is definitely a scene there, it is quite isolated. You're close to DC and Baltimore, but the former isn't really an arts town and the latter I imagine is dominated by MICA. So my 0.02 cents is on Tyler! But you should visit both schools if you can to decide what each has to offer you in terms of pedagogy & other things that are important to you. 

11 hours ago, felixo said:

Work and hope for the best, prepare for the worst - aka 30-50k a year hustling adjunct etc. Estimate what your monthly payments are going to be upon graduation, and then imagine living your life without that money for 10-20 years (whatever your plan is). If you can do that, go for it. If it seems rough....it very well may be. 

Source - have been paying between 400-800$ a month for about 8 years on my loans (about 60k debt - I pay more when I can afford it) and it very much affects lifestyle. It could be the difference between having a roommate as a 32 y.o. or having your own apt, whatever. It could be what prevents you from accruing enough savings to put down for a house/condo at that age. Not saying I would trade in my education - but...for some perspective.

*This assumes no inheritance, SO with main income, support from parents etc. Basically, if you're not on your own financially, the situation could be different of course. In fact, that often IS the difference. 

Thanks a lot for your input. Especially since you're actually paying them off and going through it. After all is said and done I'm pretty certain (about 85%) that I still want to go. I'll definitely break down the monthly costs and plan for a 10-year payment plan

1 hour ago, strawberry_jam said:

Well ... had my interview with RCA a few days ago. I found a last minute flight for a semi-reasonable price and said "f@ck it". I think it went pretty ok ... there are quite a few things I wanted to touch on in the interview but blanked. I was nervous but I answered the questions pretty coherently ...

I just received an email saying that I would hear back about my application soon, and they view every application and they've had a massive amount of applicants this year ... I take this as "you are on the waitlist (but probably won't get an offer)". :unsure:

Has anyone who applied to the RCA Vis Com program heard back yet?

Cool! When did you have your interview? I had my interview with them on Thursday! I am pretty sure they just started interviewing people for visual communications this week! They said that they were going to let us know within the next two weeks! I also got that email — I am pretty sure it was a mass email that they sent out to everyone that applied. I wouldn't stress yet!

10 minutes ago, oliveoil said:

Cool! When did you have your interview? I had my interview with them on Thursday! I am pretty sure they just started interviewing people for visual communications this week! They said that they were going to let us know within the next two weeks! I also got that email — I am pretty sure it was a mass email that they sent out to everyone that applied. I wouldn't stress yet!

Ok .. gah, thanks for talking me off the ledge :blink: .. they gave me the 2 week window too but then I saw that email .. 

Mine was on Tuesday! I was in London for 3 days and am still recovering from a pretty intense case of jet-lag.

How did your interview go? And how did you like London?? I love the RCA campus ... I'm sad they'll be moving the Vis Com program to another location this fall.
It's so beautiful there - albeit very expensive.

On 3/14/2017 at 7:08 AM, wompwompwomp said:

Has anyone heard from Tyler for painting? I have not heard a peep, so I'm assuming I did not get in.

My RISD interview went great, should hear back in the next week- but I got into BU"S MFA in Painting with a full scholarship! So excited. Not sure if a better offer is possible at this point, so despite still having multiple schools to hear back from still, I think my decision is likely already made. 

@MariaTheGreat, happy to answer further questions about Boston, as I currently live here and have since 2010. I have a love-hate relationship with Boston, but I wouldnt have been here for as long as I have been if I didnt like it. :) 

On 3/13/2017 at 6:34 PM, Kailyn90 said:

I didn't apply to any schools in Boston however I am from there and went to Massachusetts college of art and design. I had a lot of friends who did their undergrad program at BU. From what I saw visiting them it seems like a great program. They had big studios and a great lecture series. There are large gallery spaces for student shows there as well. BU itself is right in kenmore sq in the heart of Boston near Fenway and has a great campus. Boston has over 60 colleges so there is an endless amount of opportunities to explore museums and libraries- including all the amazing ones in Harvard. As for the art scene a lot of it gets sucked up by NYC but it's growing with the ICA, MFA, Mass Art and SMFA. Great little contemporary gallery district in SOWA ( south end in Boston ) on Harrison streeet. As well as alternative spaces. In terms of living- the city is 1/3 students so very active academically. If you are going to BU I suggest finding an apartment in Allston or Brighton. Both cheaper areas close to campus. If you get a two + bedroom you can live for cheapest 600/700 a person.  Hope this helps ! 

Safe to use T and walk alone at night? Reputation of BU in visual art? Why do you hate it? Winter commute and life info (ie streets cleared of snow frequently)?

5 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

I don't know that much about VCU, but the huge pluses for Tyler would be 1. you have a full ride so absolutely no debt after school 2. Philly has a very vibrant scene of its own 3. Tyler is also super close to NYC. I have a friend (non artist) who is living in Richmond now, and while he says its okay and there is definitely a scene there, it is quite isolated. You're close to DC and Baltimore, but the former isn't really an arts town and the latter I imagine is dominated by MICA. So my 0.02 cents is on Tyler! But you should visit both schools if you can to decide what each has to offer you in terms of pedagogy & other things that are important to you. 

Thank you for your insight! I've visited Tyler and loved it, and am looking into visiting VCU this coming week so I can settle this debate sooner rather than later. It'd be great to be an easy train ride away from New York, but I also know that I'll likely be so engrossed in my program, that it won't really matter all too much if I'm more removed from all of that. Regardless, I feel like it'd have a great experience at either school... Just a matter of coming to the conclusion of what is best for me!

Hey guys, 

I've been offered a place in VCD MFA from The University Notre Dame with a tuition waiver and a stipend, however, despite the generous scholarship, it doesn't cover my cost - the average student budget mentioned on the website is around $78000 and i've been offered around $63000. Coming from a financially challenged background, i can't ask my family for money and i don't know how to ask the university to bump it up a little.

Any suggestions?

Hey, I know a bunch of people (particuarilly those who didn't come from a BFA program) have talked about the difficulties of getting feedback on your work outside of academia. Vermont College of Fine Arts is offering a free portfolio review for any artist. It's probably honestly marketing for their MFA program, but their faculty list seems solid & it's quite rare that artists/schools are this generous with providing critique. Link for anyone who would be interested: http://hyperallergic.com/363379/vcfas-mfa-in-visual-art-offers-free-portfolio-reviews-for-artists/ The deadline is tomorrow.

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 2:46 PM, firstfemprez said:

Hi, still haven't heard from BU in painting...are other people still waiting on a decision??? I'm already into MICA so I'm not super concerned but would just like to know already... eek

I was waitlisted. Im hoping to still get in

On 3/16/2017 at 8:13 AM, leafyinhaling said:

Congratulations! I think I understand how you feel.

And do you have a website of your works?  I'm very interested.

Sure thing, tylereash.com

Best,

Tyler

On 2017/3/18 at 4:20 AM, AnniKatt said:

I just got SO excited seeing an RIT Graduate Admissions email in my inbox. Nope. It's just the March newsletter.

Lol so related

Me: oh shit I got an email from RIT!

(My mom rushing towards me

Me: Oh it's just an advertisement letter....

4 hours ago, Pooryoungdriver said:

Lol so related

Me: oh shit I got an email from RIT!

(My mom rushing towards me

Me: Oh it's just an advertisement letter....

I'm starting to feel like I need to perform some kind of dance in order to entice the admissions gods to send their decisions sooner.

Side question: What program did you apply to?

Edited by AnniKatt

Anyone sitting on a Northwestern acceptance and weighing it against something else? 

Sitting high on a waitlist for that program but also have an offer from VCU sculpture, a program I've coveted for years. The funding at NW is so crazy--~25k/year stipend--and the engagement w/ chicago art scene/resources are the only reasons I'm hesitating. Both are full ride so I'm feeling *blessed* but don't want to dive into the first opening available just for the sake of pulling the trigger. But VCU ends up being 5k/year stipend after fees which is still completely doable sooo maybe I should just feel confident when i say YES

I worked up the courage to call RIT regarding my decision status. Learned that my application was never actually forwarded to the committee for review. I of course received several apologies for the mistake.

Whelp. Guess I'll see what happens next.

Got an email this morning from Rutgers asking for my transcript so that I can be placed on the official waitlist. Was kind of weird, it made it seem as though they had already informed me that I had been waitlisted. And someone from Mason Gross admissions told me in January that they had my transcript. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ah well, luckily my undergrad lets us send out transcripts for free ...