MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

47 minutes ago, blackbirdnichole said:

Have you heard anything? My status is "ADMISSION STATUS: Evaluation Complete/Awaiting Decision" and APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED Submitted Icon

I've called (and left a voicemail) and emailed with no response. 

I remember GSU being late last year- someone got accepted at the end of April but this could have been someone that was previously on the waitlist. 

4 minutes ago, akuyakuneko said:

Just received a rejection letter from the University of Washington Seattle.

anxiously waiting for SAIC (interviewed on Feb 26th) and NYU (interviewed on March 9th).

Got rejected from Columbia this afternoon. Waiting for NYU as well, I did my interviewed on March 9th too! So anxious...

13 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

Got rejected from Columbia this afternoon. Waiting for NYU as well, I did my interviewed on March 9th too! So anxious...

Sorry for the news... Had you interviewed for Columbia?

Called them today and they said they would send responses by the end of this week or early next week.

Edited by eyerolling

1 minute ago, eyerolling said:

Had you interviewed for Columbia?

Called them today and they said they would send responses by the end of this week or early next week.

No, I applied for Photo, and I have not receive any information since then so I assumed I was rejected long ago.

Today they updated the status on my account. 

12 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

No, I applied for Photo, and I have not receive any information since then so I assumed I was rejected long ago.

Today they updated the status on my account. 

Thank you! Good luck with NYU!

1 minute ago, eyerolling said:

Thank you! Good luck with NYU!

Thank you! :P Good luck to you too! It has been such an intense six months, but the waiting is the hardest. 

5 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

UCLA didn't offer a whole lot in $$$ 

The finalist are Columbia and SAIC. 

@leekrasner mad props for reaching out to your schools. There's never nothing wrong with asking who, what, when, where, why and how! That's the most important fearless thing that you can do! 

If you are fully funded at both Columbia and SAIC, I would hands down pick Columbia. I think the access to the art world by being based in NYC is invaluable, especially if you aspire to public engagement in the contemporary dialogue about art. Also, the art culture in NYC is chock full of people of all disciplines and backgrounds that are often organized around very specific niche interests and aims, where it is way more possible to have complex and nuanced conversations with people who are on the same page as you. Also the opportunities to show work are more likely to reach wider audiences, there are far more opportunities to get paid for creative work, so many major art organizations are based here, and the connections you will find to students and faculty at Columbia will open doors after you graduate. I'm sure SAIC has its strengths, but I think Columbia can offer more possibilities because the whole city and all of its creative and intellectual resources will be here to draw upon for growth. 

Perhaps the drawback to NYC culture is the competition and the extremely high value placed on certain resources, like time and space. For a sculptor, those limitations can utterly change how you work. This can be stressful to some people, and possibly inhibit certain kinds of creative processes. If those things sound energizing rather than overwhelming, you might find the intensity of being here fruitful to your work and career. 

59 minutes ago, hastr683 said:

Just admitted to UCI from the waitlist. 

It certainly complicates the decision making-- I was pretty certain I would end up at UMich, but now the decision just got much harder! 

Wow, congrats! UCI is pretty nice as well. 

2 hours ago, blackbirdnichole said:

Have you heard anything? My status is "ADMISSION STATUS: Evaluation Complete/Awaiting Decision" and APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED Submitted Icon

I've called (and left a voicemail) and emailed with no response. 

Hey!

I received an email last week with my acceptance. My status on the website still says Evaluation Complete / Awaiting Decision though. I haven't accepted the offer yet but have until April 15 to do so.

Who are you contacting at GSU?

Hey so... I was accepted at the schools I applied to and I had a random and honest question:

Should I be happy if the schools say things like: "You're one of the students who the faculty are most excited about", "The graduate faculty was impressed by your portfolio"? Do they usually say these things to everyone they accept? I feel like I should be excited to read things like that but I've always doubted myself and my work, especially since I'm an international student and the level is high at US universities.

Anyways, congrats to everyone that has been accepted! And to those of you who are still waiting, I'm hoping you hear back soon with good news! 

4 hours ago, hastr683 said:

Just admitted to UCI from the waitlist. 

It certainly complicates the decision making-- I was pretty certain I would end up at UMich, but now the decision just got much harder! 

Congrats! University of Michigan's funding is amazing.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, Pfox said:

HELP.    Do I choose San Francisco Art Institute or California College of the Arts (SF) for painting/ instalation both programs look amazing and large and in the city I need to be in. 

SFAI is not as reputable, and a school for rich kids that get in for money not merit, but Cal is where real art happens and the students are serious about art making. Pretty much every CalArt alum I have seen, amazed me. Go visit. See for yourself.

Take a look at Yelp comments for fun https://www.yelp.com/biz/san-francisco-art-institute-san-francisco?adjust_creative=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA&utm_campaign=yelp_api&utm_medium=api_v2_search&utm_source=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA &  https://www.yelp.com/biz/california-institute-of-the-arts-valencia?adjust_creative=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA&utm_campaign=yelp_api&utm_medium=api_v2_business&utm_source=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA 

16 minutes ago, Artsy2017 said:

SFAI is not as reputable, and a school for rich kids that get in for money not merit, but Cal is where real art happens and the students are serious about art making. Pretty much every CalArt alum I have seen, amazed me. Go visit. See for yourself.

Take a look at Yelp comments for fun https://www.yelp.com/biz/san-francisco-art-institute-san-francisco?adjust_creative=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA&utm_campaign=yelp_api&utm_medium=api_v2_search&utm_source=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA &  https://www.yelp.com/biz/california-institute-of-the-arts-valencia?adjust_creative=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA&utm_campaign=yelp_api&utm_medium=api_v2_business&utm_source=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA 

I think he is comparing SFAI with CCA not CalArt. However, interesting opinion and makes me worry a little bit lol

28 minutes ago, Artsy2017 said:

Last summer I kept getting emails, like every week from SFAI stating "we still have room in our MFA program, apply now!" I seriously got these emails into mid August. 

Based on that I wouldn't even consider looking at their website. 

On 3/21/2017 at 7:45 PM, EmD28 said:

Hi guys, I need your help in choosing schools!!

I applied for graphic design with math as a major in undergrad, and got into the following schools. Now I am having such a hard time deciding where to go...

CalArts MFA GD 3yrs (20000/yr Scholarship)

CCA MFA Design 3yrs (24000/yr Scholarship)

SVA MFA Design 2yrs

Pratt MFA VCD 2yrs

I am now really choosing between CalArts and CCA. If you guys can give me any advice or insights, I will really really appreciate it!!

CalArts for sure! :) 

19 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Damn, that's surprising about UCLA—always thought they had good funding. Guess things might have changed this year. :\ 

You're gonna dominate whatever scene you go into!!! Columbia vs SAIC with full ride is a seriously tough choice, but you're have an incredible experience either way! 

I was offered full funding to UCLA, just fyi

On 3/21/2017 at 8:00 PM, Pfox said:

oops I thought you were comparing CalArts to SFAI, I weighed in lol.

but while I am here editing i'll say that I have zero experience with CCA and have visited SFAI a few times (I lived close) SFAI is of course the most beautiful school. But I had a weird conversation with someone from SFAI admin last year when I was thinking about pursuing an MFA there. The person I spoke to was slightly pedantic and condescending and I thought.. well this is how its going to be at this level... and let myself be silenced, but now that I have had actual interviews with interested programs I am happy to learn that what I bring to the table is of great interest to the program directors and dialogue is two-way. Maybe an isolated incident, wouldn't let it color a decision too much as we all know how easy it is for a conversation to become clunky. 

Edited by Gwhar1

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for a bit but just got word that I've been waitlisted at Bloomington for painting. I've already been accepted to a medium-sized state university so I'll probably wait a few weeks to hear back from IU before accepting that one. Anyway, hope this gives someone else peace of mind - congrats to everyone who did well this cycle and good luck in your future endeavors!

20 hours ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

UCLA didn't offer a whole lot in $$$ 

The finalist are Columbia and SAIC. 

@leekrasner mad props for reaching out to your schools. There's never nothing wrong with asking who, what, when, where, why and how! That's the most important fearless thing that you can do! 

I vote Columbia!!

On 3/21/2017 at 4:45 PM, EmD28 said:

Hi guys, I need your help in choosing schools!!

I applied for graphic design with math as a major in undergrad, and got into the following schools. Now I am having such a hard time deciding where to go...

CalArts MFA GD 3yrs (20000/yr Scholarship)

CCA MFA Design 3yrs (24000/yr Scholarship)

SVA MFA Design 2yrs

Pratt MFA VCD 2yrs

I am now really choosing between CalArts and CCA. If you guys can give me any advice or insights, I will really really appreciate it!!

Go to Calarts. Its got a better reputation than CCA and LA has so more of a dynamic art scene than SF. Also, the average 1 bedroom in SF is $3500 a month............its rough.