MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

On 3/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, Pfox said:

HELP.    Do I choose San Francisco Art Institute or California College of the Arts (SF) for painting/ instalation both programs look amazing and large and in the city I need to be in. 

I know both of these programs well. I prefer SFAI, given the smaller size and very strong network of alumni that seem to be running the emerging scene in SF. The work is a bit more intellectual than CCA, which is a mixed bag. The campus is also ridiculously beautiful and the grad studios are moving into Fort Mason into a big warehouse pier that juts into the bay. The programs are comparable, and the alumni tend to exhibit and mix well together in the end. I would try to see which one offers the best scholarship, and which neighborhood would be more affordable. Most SFAI students (who aren't supremely wealthy) live in the Tenderloin, which is still gritty, but becoming hip very fast.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:10 PM, LingX22 said:

One thing worries me is that the new grad studios are 20 mins away from the campus where the lab and other facilities are located. 

They were in Dogpatch previously, talk about a hike. North Beach to the Marina is pretty close.

17 hours ago, hastr683 said:

Just admitted to UCI from the waitlist. 

It certainly complicates the decision making-- I was pretty certain I would end up at UMich, but now the decision just got much harder! 

Congrats on the acceptance!

How do you guys/gals feel about Hunter College?

I will be attending out of state. I wonder if going there might be a distraction? I am worried the city will drain me? 

I am told getting a part time job is encouraged? But Do I really want to work!? NO. 

I don't know, I am having a hard time deciding. 

Any insight/experience would be sooo appreciated! 

1 hour ago, oliveoil said:

You guys I need some help — RCA or RISD for graphic design? 

I went to RISD and the graphic design program is fantastic and super acknowledged! The curriculum tends to lean more towards the conceptual side and RISD in general I think likes experimental work :)

I don't know much about RCA, but of course their reputation is impeccable 

It seems like you can't go wrong either way! Good luck and Congrats on the acceptances! 

Edited by peanutbutterjelly

4 hours ago, oliveoil said:

CalArts for sure! :) 

lol You got into CalArts too, right? If my memory does not fail. Have you decided where to attend? 

1 hour ago, oliveoil said:

You guys I need some help — RCA or RISD for graphic design? 

Thanks and congrats to you also!!! 

I don't know much about RISD but I suggest RCA :) 

Have you heard anything about RCA funding/scholarships? I emailed their financial aid dept a few months ago and they told me that their scholarships operate on an "invitation via email" basis. So I'm *assuming* if they deem we're eligible for a scholarship (once offering us a place) they'll email us about any scholarships that we're eligible for!?

1 hour ago, strawberry_jam said:

Thanks and congrats to you also!!! 

I don't know much about RISD but I suggest RCA :) 

Have you heard anything about RCA funding/scholarships? I emailed their financial aid dept a few months ago and they told me that their scholarships operate on an "invitation via email" basis. So I'm *assuming* if they deem we're eligible for a scholarship (once offering us a place) they'll email us about any scholarships that we're eligible for!?

Thank you!! 

I haven't heard anything about funding yet — but I have been blessed with duel (US/French) citizenship and applied as a Frenchie and with EU RCA is much cheaper then RISD! I have lived in the US for most of my life though, so I hope they honor this... I am going to email them about funding sometime this week and let you know if I hear anything!

2 hours ago, EmD28 said:

lol You got into CalArts too, right? If my memory does not fail. Have you decided where to attend? 

I haven't decided yet! Right now I am between RISD and RCA — I'm not sure if California is right for me but it is still in the running! I do really love CalArts and Anther is SO LOVELY! 

4 hours ago, oliveoil said:

Thank you!! 

I haven't heard anything about funding yet — but I have been blessed with duel (US/French) citizenship and applied as a Frenchie and with EU RCA is much cheaper then RISD! I have lived in the US for most of my life though, so I hope they honor this... I am going to email them about funding sometime this week and let you know if I hear anything!

I haven't decided yet! Right now I am between RISD and RCA — I'm not sure if California is right for me but it is still in the running! I do really love CalArts and Anther is SO LOVELY! 

Congrats!!!!!!! Both are amazing schools!!! I vote for RISD though! The only concern I have about CalArts is that their designs, I think, are much very print-based and the connection between school and industry is not really strong. I am worried about looking for a job after three years.. I know it sounds corny, but this really is my biggest concern :(

9 hours ago, Yetti said:

Go to Calarts. Its got a better reputation than CCA and LA has so more of a dynamic art scene than SF. Also, the average 1 bedroom in SF is $3500 a month............its rough.

The rent sounds crazy.. even worse than New York? I do like SF though. My only concern about CalArts is that their design is very much print-based and the connection between school and industry is not very strong. I am worried about getting a job after three years :( Sorry I know it sounds corny.. 

Does anyone have opinions about east vs west coast programs? Specifically Columbia vs UCLA? I was accepted to UCLA with a first year fellowship and stipend. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and if they have any financial aid offer. 

Applied to Yale, was not admitted

Applied to Hunter, decided not to attend interview / cancelled my application

Accepted to Purchase - don't know about any funding yet but totally psyched for this program and pretty sure I'll accept even if I hear nice things from the last two pending applications I have out. After tour, multiple phone calls, conversations with current faculty, current students and alumni, I can check off every box on my list of expectations. Facilities, support, proximity to Manhattan without the prohibitive/ridiculous cost of NYC, Interdisciplinary, pedagogical studies, social practice and especially the dual degree MA/MFA. And also, they were nice to me, remembered our conversations and referenced my work (even one of the 2nd year MFA canditates knew my work) which tells me they care about the community and that is important to me. 

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

Accepted to Purchase - don't know about any funding yet but totally psyched for this program and pretty sure I'll accept even if I hear nice things from the last two pending applications I have out. After tour, multiple phone calls, conversations with current faculty, current students and alumni, I can check off every box on my list of expectations. Facilities, support, proximity to Manhattan without the prohibitive/ridiculous cost of NYC, Interdisciplinary, pedagogical studies, social practice and especially the dual degree MA/MFA. And also, they were nice to me, remembered our conversations and referenced my work (even one of the 2nd year MFA canditates knew my work) which tells me they care about the community and that is important to me. 

Congrats! I'm thinking of looking into that program!

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

Congratulations!!!

5 hours ago, ENP said:

Does anyone have opinions about east vs west coast programs? Specifically Columbia vs UCLA? I was accepted to UCLA with a first year fellowship and stipend. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and if they have any financial aid offer. 

Congrats on the UCLA offer! If the fellowship is good, I wouldn't hesitate to take it, tbh. 

2 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

Congrats! So great to see people finding their perfect fit :) 

Has anyone applied to fall 2017 and got admitted to spring 2018 at Hunter? I was told that I am.. and I'm not sure what that means and how it happened 

2 hours ago, 7edkim said:

Has anyone applied to fall 2017 and got admitted to spring 2018 at Hunter? I was told that I am.. and I'm not sure what that means and how it happened 

They split their acceptances in half for some reason.  Half their incoming class starts fall semester, the other half starts the spring semester. 

3 hours ago, 7edkim said:

I Was accepte to Hunter. They gave me the option between entering fall semester or transferring my application to begin in the spring semester. I already rejected my offer to attend Hunter. If you are interested in attending in the fall. You should email them and let them know. 

22 hours ago, ENP said:

LA is the place to be. There's so much space for artists to make work and rents are more affordable so the art scene is definitely growing. UCLA will likely offer significantly more funding than Columbia. The program is very self directed and "chill". 

I just think overall the quality of life will be better in LA. You can focus on your work in a relaxed environment and not be distracted by the high cost of being alive in NY.

23 hours ago, ENP said:

I vote UCLA because of your funding and Rodney McMillian (never met him, just like his work) Also, I was told that the first year fellowship can be extended (?)

If the funding at Columbia is as good then there is a problem that might best be resolved via coin flip.