MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Extending a congrats and good luck to all who made it to where they are meant to be and if you didn't find yourself on the path you imagined, know that time will solve this issue. You will either wait till next year or find better opportunities than an MFA.

Regarding debt, not everyone will get a full ride, especially as funding for the arts decreases with time... Think how the degree and debt will enrich your life as a whole. If you own a place to live, then go in debt. If not, use the money to purchase a home and then consider an MFA. Housing security is more important than education. 

On 3/24/2017 at 0:31 PM, ENP said:

Does anyone have opinions about east vs west coast programs? Specifically Columbia vs UCLA? I was accepted to UCLA with a first year fellowship and stipend. I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and if they have any financial aid offer. 

Applied to Yale, was not admitted

Applied to Hunter, decided not to attend interview / cancelled my application

UCLA 100% the students there are very happy with the program. 

On 3/28/2017 at 3:59 AM, Kailyn90 said:

Hey everyone ! 

I was accepted to Slade and Goldsmiths. Slade has always been my favorite program -but can anyone give me insight between the two ?? ( for painting ) both are around the same cost. I have been to the campuses too so I'm really interested in hearing about experience of the actual program - thanks !!!

I got into Goldsmiths as well and I've done a lot of research on the program. The school is really radical and very much in the realm of conceptual art. They respond to the research you propose, so it's good for self directed artists but frustrating if you need more guidance. The MFA doesn't maintain any specificity to your claimed medium but rather teaches more about content and concept, so it produces very conceptual interdisciplinary artists. You are also in a community with a lot of arts writers (MA) and curators (MFA) so the conversations are very brainy. I don't know anything about Slade, but I've heard very good things.

overall London seems like a really exciting place to be right now.

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

I got into Goldsmiths as well and I've done a lot of research on the program. The school is really radical and very much in the realm of conceptual art. They respond to the research you propose, so it's good for self directed artists but frustrating if you need more guidance. The MFA doesn't maintain any specificity to your claimed medium but rather teaches more about content and concept, so it produces very conceptual interdisciplinary artists. You are also in a community with a lot of arts writers (MA) and curators (MFA) so the conversations are very brainy. I don't know anything about Slade, but I've heard very good things.

overall London seems like a really exciting place to be right now.

Thank you ! While I do love the " conceptual " part. I pretty much only make paintings- so I think Slade might be a better fit. I can't imagine being a program where that isn't the main focus, or at least don't think it would be beneficial to me. 

21 minutes ago, Kailyn90 said:

Thank you ! While I do love the " conceptual " part. I pretty much only make paintings- so I think Slade might be a better fit. I can't imagine being a program where that isn't the main focus, or at least don't think it would be beneficial to me. 

I thought this BBC feature was really helpful. There are painters, but all the classes are mixed and people tend to switch media often.

This was made in 2009 and features a painter as well. Best of luck with your decisions and the Visa process.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, Kailyn90 said:

Thank you so much !! That's the vibe I was getting as well. Glad someone can confirm :) I live in the states so it's intimidating to try and research just through short visits/internet

I might message you for tips on where to live or find an apartment if that's okay ....

by all means! do not hesitate to pm me :D

Rejected from Skowhegan. Over 2000 applications were reviewed, holy cow! Maybe not for this thread but related to the process at least through the experience of rejection :)

Hi all, I just got accepted to the Interdisciplinary Master's in Art, Media and Design program at OCAD University in Toronto. Is there anyone who knows the school or the program? Also how is the art scene in Toronto? Thank you!

Heading to RISD in the fall! I just let the other schools know I won't be attending, so hopefully that means good news for people interested in those programs!

54 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

Hi all, I just got accepted to the Interdisciplinary Master's in Art, Media and Design program at OCAD University in Toronto. Is there anyone who knows the school or the program? Also how is the art scene in Toronto? Thank you!

Congrats! :) 

37 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

Heading to RISD in the fall! I just let the other schools know I won't be attending, so hopefully that means good news for people interested in those programs!

Congrats! :) 

Thank you! That's a great choice! Looks like I still need more time to decide which program I will attend in the Fall ?

Edited by LingX22

On 4/2/2017 at 6:12 PM, Yetti said:

I thought this BBC feature was really helpful. There are painters, but all the classes are mixed and people tend to switch media often.

This was made in 2009 and features a painter as well. Best of luck with your decisions and the Visa process.

Thank you for this !!!!

On 4/3/2017 at 2:16 PM, Gwhar1 said:

Rejected from Skowhegan. Over 2000 applications were reviewed, holy cow! Maybe not for this thread but related to the process at least through the experience of rejection :)

When you hear back ?? I applied as well but didn't hear yet ...

2 hours ago, LingX22 said:

Congrats!!  Toronto is a great city to live in - I love it here and hope to come back someday. However ... there isn't much of an art/design scene here as of yet. There's definitely something starting but it's kind of ruled by "bloggers" and people with 2-3 degrees of separation from Drake. Seriously. The art scene is a little "closed off" and clique-y ... It's hard to break into, but definitely possible.

I don't know too much about OCAD. I had a friend who went there for Illustration (BA level) and loved it. The location is great! It's right downtown just North of Queen St (a trendy, bustling area). It's easily accessible by public transit and there's many great resources in the immediate area (art shops, the Art Gallery of Ontario etc). It's pretty expensive to live downtown though and right now there's a bit of a rental crisis in the city - there's a historically low vacancy rate right now of something like 1.5%.  

If you get the chance I strongly encourage you to visit and see for yourself. This is just my opinion as someone ever-so-slightly removed from the design/art scene in the city. What I will say is that the way of life in the city is great. The people are friendly, there's lots of green space, half-decent public transit, incredible restaurants, and at a time when it seems like the world's on fire ... the people of Toronto are living together in harmony. 

Good luck!! :)

1 hour ago, Kailyn90 said:

When you hear back ?? I applied as well but didn't hear yet ...

I got email 4/3 at 1:37 pm I applied on the early side my app number was #474. I have two friends who haven't heard back either. I hope you get in. ?

Edited by Gwhar1
Spell check disaster

Congrats! It's a great school at a great location as far as i have heard! If you cannot visit the school in person you can always conduct research online xD

6 hours ago, LingX22 said:

Whelp. Got this email from RIT yesterday:

"I apologize for the slow response – I was on a flight back from China when your message came in, and I am still trying to catch up.

I see in the system that your folder was prepared for the Admission Committee… again… on the 27th. (After the problem we had with your transcripts “expiring”).

Normally we tell students we’ll have an answer for them within 4 – 6 weeks… but it is normally faster than that.

Hopefully we will have news for you soon – and best of luck!"

So I submitted my application on February 15th, was contacted on February 27th regarding issues with my transcripts, was informed on March 3rd that my application was forwarded to the AdComm, I called on March 20th and learned that had not actually been sent and that the problem would be rectified asap, and now I've learned that my folder was prepared...again...on March 27th. 

9 hours ago, Gwhar1 said:

I got email 4/3 at 1:37 pm I applied on the early side my app number was #474. I have two friends who haven't heard back either. I hope you get in. ?

The rejection letter was in my spam folder  ! It's okay. I got into VSC but had to turn it down because I was flying to interviews. I'm going to London in the fall for Slade so I doubt I'd have the time or money to do Skowheagan. Guess I'll reapply after school ?

1 hour ago, This guy said:

Nothing, seems like Cornell's waitlist is crowded. Onto next season 

I got a check in email from Carl Ostendarp the other day.  Just saying that I'm still on the waitlist and that they will inform people after acceptance offers come back in April 15.  I've just accepted a spot at UIC though, so I had home take me off of the list.