Resume/ CV question

Do public policy adcoms care about the design of resumes?

Do they want just black and white or can we use a little color/gray?

Can we have use font size 10 and less than 1 inch margins?

It seems that adcoms want an academic cv (research and extra curriculars) with more a more empasis on work experience. I would appreciate it to hear from admitted students too, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't make it too hard to read by making the font size etc super small. The resumes can go over more than a page. I think it is actually more CV-like. I put work experience, extra-curriculars, awards, publications, etc on mine 

22 hours ago, nebula said:

Seconded!

Yes! Anything that makes you sound successful, vigorous, rich, 'normal', and a leader of men will be very well received by an admissions committee. (check out the criteria for Rhodes Scholars to get the supreme example of this rubric). 

• 2 weeks later...

I know schools want to see relevant work experience. However, I majored in a science and one of my experiences was in a lab. I worked in this lab for almost 2 years and gained valuable analytical skills. Do you think putting lab work in a resume for international affairs programs will be appropriate? 

3 hours ago, nebula said:

I know schools want to see relevant work experience. However, I majored in a science and one of my experiences was in a lab. I worked in this lab for almost 2 years and gained valuable analytical skills. Do you think putting lab work in a resume for international affairs programs will be appropriate? 

Bio is so, so 'hot' right now. Bio-genetics, bio-policy, bio-hazards, bio-security, bio-modifications. All sorts of relevant cross-over stuff you can point to in your app beyond boring old run of the mill 'analytical' skills.