Review of Ph.D Application Package

c-guzman

This type of post may be frowned upon, but i've exhausted myself doing the research and searching the programs FAQ's and contacting various professors from each institution. I'm a recent master's graduate that's looking to apply to a couple Ph.D programs in computational biology, bioinformatics, and molecular / genetics programs. I don't know what 'tier' (I hate this word) of schools I should realistically be applying to. My main focus is a good mentor. Program prestige matters, but lets be real ... I won't likely be getting a professorship.

My qualifications:

• Master's in Biology - ~3.5 GPA
  • GRE - Haven't taken, but with 3 months of studying I am hoping for a 160/160.
  • I have 3 years of research experience. 2 years of experience as a graduate research assistant, and another year as a research assistant II at a Top 20 R1 institute where I am the sole computational biologist with a really great mentor.
  • I will have 1 co-first author publication published, 2 submitted, and 1 in preparation by December 1st deadlines. So I guess that's ... 4? I'm not sure if submitted / in prep count, but i'm assuming not. I am also involved in several other projects that may or may not be submitted or published before my deadlines, I am likely to be second or third author on these.
  • I have a decent knowledge of Python and R with various programming projects in my GitLab - one of which is likely to be published.
  • I have two really strong letters of recommendation from my master's PI, and my current PI. I can potentially get 1 mediocre letter from a professor from my undergrad institute. I'm currently trying to get a collaboration going with another professor at my current university so that I can have 3 really strong letters. If one of my submitted publications to eLife works out, the editor of the journal is willing to write letters of recommendation for the 1st author ... so this could potentially be something I suppose.
  • I have 2 and a half years of teaching experience as a teacher and teaching assistant. High and low level biology, and chemistry, some ecology.
  • I have very strong grasp of the field that I want to pursue. I've contacted at least two professors from each institute i'm interested in and about half have replied saying they would be willing to take me on as a rotational / Ph.D student if I get accepted into the program. I think the fact that I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to pursue and what I can contribute to a program will show in my statement of purpose.

That's pretty much it. I might try to fit in some volunteer opportunities from now until the deadline, but I don't really know if that should be included in my application since it's not directly relevant. I can also send out an actual copy of my CV to anyone that's really interested in giving me a detailed analysis of what tier schools I would have a decent shot at.

My main problems seems to be that most of the research i'm interested in (Enhancer Biology) is being done at schools like MIT, Stanford, John Hopkins, University of Washington, University of Michigan ... schools that i'd maybe apply for if there wasn't a $100 dollar fee that would almost certainly be a waste.

Anyways, I appreciate the insight and help!

Edited by c-guzman

Why would it be a waste? You have a competitive application for any of those schools.

EDIT: What was your undergrad GPA? And a mediocre letter is something you should try to avoid lol

Edited by Bioenchilada

23 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Why would it be a waste? You have a competitive application for any of those schools.

EDIT: What was your undergrad GPA? And a mediocre letter is something you should try to avoid lol

A waste in a sense that I just assumed that my package wouldn't result in too many interviews from these schools that only really accept the best and brightest. I've had several of my most qualfieid friends apply to programs in these schools and get rejected, so my assumptions are based on that.

Undergrad GPA wasn't great, 3.3. I completely agree with the letter, but I really only have two solid letters of reference with research experience. My undergrad professors might be able to write something up about my grades and performance in specific classes, but that's pretty much it.

Edited by c-guzman

I guess there's nothing to be done about your letter then. Just focus on your SOP and make it as strong as you can, it is one of the most important pieces. You have great research experience and pubs, which will benefit you a lot :) 

Just now, Bioenchilada said:

I guess there's nothing to be done about your letter then. Just focus on your SOP and make it as strong as you can, it is one of the most important pieces. You have great research experience and pubs, which will benefit you a lot :) 

My current SoP is up in the applications forum under 'statement of purpose' subsection if you'd like to take a look at it and help me out! I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, c-guzman said:

My current SoP is up in the applications forum under 'statement of purpose' subsection if you'd like to take a look at it and help me out! I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the help!

I'm taking a look at it! :) 

I would rather have a strong letter of recommendation from someone that knows me academically than a mediocre person I had worked with.  Is there a program director or something you've really impressed during your master's?  Someone involved in your master's thesis?  Mediocre letters can be really detrimental at high level schools.  Just my 2 cents, but you seem to be otherwise competitive at the schools you've listed.  Stanford, Harvard, and the like can be a bit dodgy with admissions.  Sometimes it's referred to as a crap shoot, and it can be.  You could try applying to schools that really put a high emphasis on research experience like Rockefeller, Cold Spring Harbor, etc.  I understand you don't want to spend the money on applications... ask for fee waivers from the departments you apply to!  They exist and who knows, they might just give you one.  Also, these schools don't need your $100.  And IDK if you're even interested, but Vanderbilt has no application fee.  Just to save money!