HGSE Fall 2010

amyeray

Thanks for the info, kismetcapitan! Were you able to switch programs or do you have to reapply again?

haven't been able to reach the person I need to speak with yet. I strongly suspect I would have to reapply with an entirely new SOP geared towards IEP. But I'm less worried - I kind of doubt next year will be as competitive as this year, and I'm now certain I'm doing the right thing.

Edit: this looks grim - http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/faq/year_in_advance.html. Well, I'm going to have to talk to them one way or another.....

Edited by kismetcapitan

The link did not work--what was it in reference to?

haven't been able to reach the person I need to speak with yet. I strongly suspect I would have to reapply with an entirely new SOP geared towards IEP. But I'm less worried - I kind of doubt next year will be as competitive as this year, and I'm now certain I'm doing the right thing.

Edit: this looks grim - http://www.gse.harva...n_advance.html. Well, I'm going to have to talk to them one way or another.....

Year-in-Advance, Deferral, and Program Change

May I apply for year-in-advance study to the Harvard Graduate School of Education?

Applicants who need to arrange well in advance for a shift of professional responsibility or to develop personal funding strategies may apply for 2011-2012 admission. Applicants must submit all application materials by the application deadline and include a statement in the Program Information section of the online application indicating why they are requesting year-in-advance admission. Please note that year-in-advance admission is not an option for Doctor of Education, Doctor of Education Leadership, or Certificate of Advanced Study applicants. Additionally, this option is not available for Special Student applicants.

May I defer admission to the Harvard Graduate School of Education?

If your circumstances change, you may petition the Admissions Committee in writing for a one-year deferment. Please note that deferments are rarely granted and are subject to the Admission Committee's approval.

Admitted applicants who accept an offer of admission are expected to enroll in the term for which they applied and were admitted.

May I change programs after I've been admitted?

Transfer from one program to another is rarely permitted. Students are expected to enroll in the program to which they were admitted. We encourage students who wish to transfer to another program to seek the advice of the program coordinator of the program to which they were initially admitted before submitting a request to transfer to the Admissions Office.

I'll be there!!!! I was accepted into the AIE program. Still in shock. And thrilled.

congrats to everyone!!!

im still in shock too. its surreal. :blink:

i think it will hit me this Sunday night at the reception. :)

on the note of being admitted, anyone know the total number of applicants to HGSE and/or the admittance rate? Now that I have been admitted, ive been searching for these stats but i cant find them anywhere...i didnt want to see them before because i was sure it would discourage me. :P

at any rate, if anyone knows where i can find some legit stats, post it.

thank you!

can't wait till sunday night!!!!:lol:

im still in shock too. its surreal. :blink:

i think it will hit me this Sunday night at the reception. :)

on the note of being admitted, anyone know the total number of applicants to HGSE and/or the admittance rate? Now that I have been admitted, ive been searching for these stats but i cant find them anywhere...i didnt want to see them before because i was sure it would discourage me. :P

at any rate, if anyone knows where i can find some legit stats, post it.

thank you!

can't wait till sunday night!!!!:lol:

The admissions office will post the acceptance stats later in the spring, as letters of intent come in and the cohorts are known.

I am sorry to hear that you can't switch programs. They won't let you reapply next year? Did they give you a reason why?

No dice, no on both counts. Need to make a hard decision in the next couple weeks. Crap-o-rama.

I am sorry to hear that you can't switch programs. They won't let you reapply next year? Did they give you a reason why?

If you're interested in International Education, you can always keep the TIE concentration, but take all International Education courses as your electives.

In general, here's how it works:

The masters degree curriculum is 32 credit hours. Most people meet it by taking four 4-credit courses in the fall, and four 4-credit courses in the spring, so eight classes total. The TIE curriculum mandates that five of your eight classes be "Technology or Media focused" (there will be a list of classes that meet that requirement in the course catalogue.) You can choose five tech courses that are more based on leadership and research (vice media production), and take three courses specifically focused on International Education as your electives. If your advisor allows it, you could even take an additional course either in the spring or fall, or a J-term January course focusing in that area too.

The title of your degree doesn't matter as much as the classes that you choose to take.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...