Fall 2017 Applicants

Bschaefer

12 hours ago, epi_gene said:

I heard back from UCSD on February 8th, admitted for Biological Anthropology! 

Do you know anything about securing funding?

CONGRATS! that's amazing. my friend got accepted last year and her POI really had to go to bat for her to get funding, but was able to secure her for 5 years. PhD track runs long there however, sometimes 8+ years. i would definitely contact someone as it's different for each student and depends on the number of individuals they accept any given year. 

Heard back from my POI at Syracuse, funded for four years with a pretty good chance at getting a fifth year through the Maxwell School!  It feels so good to have a realistic (read: funded) PhD option!

I seem to be at a bit of a crossroads in my academic life here. As this application season comes to a close and I more than likely will not be admitted to any PhD programs for a 2nd cycle, I am considering what to do next. 

Most of my background in Anthropology is within Archaeology. I have an interdisciplinary MA that had a variety of grad courses relating to the society and culture of the region I am interested in doing research on, but as far as direct Sociocultural Anthropology courses, they are all relegated to my Undergrad years. I have a lot of experience in Archaeology as a whole though. I've done multiple excavations abroad, an archaeological internship at a prestigious research institute, and years of employment in the Cultural Resource Management industry as a Field Archaeologist. My company would love for me to become a certified Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA), but in order to do so, I need to have designed an archaeological study and done substantive data analysis on it/written a thesis. So, on the one hand, if I apply to Archaeology MA programs at CSU schools here and work part time while I finish it, I can continue my career in CRM and maybe after that continue to PhD in Archaeology. It's not that I don't enjoy this field, I just have a lot more of a passion for Sociocultural and feel like there are ways in which my research could actually effect positive change.

So my other option is to instead pursue Sociocultural Anthropology MA programs here at CSUs instead. That way, I can expand my Sociocultural knowledge and write a thesis related to what I hope to eventually continue in my PhD afterward. 

I guess there are two big questions I have:

1) Is it possible to get any funding at all for an MA at a CSU? And if so, does doing the program part time nullify that?

2) Is it possible to commute to an institution where you are doing an MA if you're working outside the area? Obviously I would be part time if I was doing that, but I'm curious if it's even feasible.

3) I am trying to be practical as well as follow my interests here. Are either Archaeology or Sociocultural Anthropology more successful as MA or PhD graduates? Is this a known reality that I'm not aware of, that one does much better or has a much easier time being admitted to PhDs?

Any advice, guidance, or experience you all have on this would be helpful! Thank you!

@Konstantine Have you considered doing an anthro MA that doesn't separate out by archaeo or anth. So, instead of an MA in Archeo or one in Socioculture, it's just an MA in anth. Doing something like this could give you access to the sociocultural classes you desire while still working on archaeo stuff as well. Maybe you could even do your thesis as an interdisciplinary approach, looking through archaeology at the material culture and history of a place and sociocultural for the contemporary culture. 

As for your questions, I'm currently doing my MA in Applied Anthro at SJSU. I didn't pay a cent in tuition this year because I got a job as a TA. Last year, I had a grant based on financial need that covered 75% of my tuition. I had to shell out just under 1k each semester, but that's a lot better than some places. I'm claiming all my books and supplies on taxes, so that'll be fine too. 

Our program is set up with the main grad courses happening 6:00-8:45 at night so that people who work can do both without much interference. There are some rules about financial assistance, but if you're enrolled in 2 grad level courses, you're considered full time. That should be pretty standard across the CSU's.

As for more successful applicants, it sounds like the main problem is that you've been doing archaeo for a long time and want to switch tracks. Have you presented at conferences or tried to work with a sociocultural prof to get more experience on that side of things? These are also ways to show that, even though you do archaeo for your job, you are still very much involved and interested in sociocultural anthropology.

3 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@Konstantine Have you considered doing an anthro MA that doesn't separate out by archaeo or anth. So, instead of an MA in Archeo or one in Socioculture, it's just an MA in anth. Doing something like this could give you access to the sociocultural classes you desire while still working on archaeo stuff as well. Maybe you could even do your thesis as an interdisciplinary approach, looking through archaeology at the material culture and history of a place and sociocultural for the contemporary culture. 

As for your questions, I'm currently doing my MA in Applied Anthro at SJSU. I didn't pay a cent in tuition this year because I got a job as a TA. Last year, I had a grant based on financial need that covered 75% of my tuition. I had to shell out just under 1k each semester, but that's a lot better than some places. I'm claiming all my books and supplies on taxes, so that'll be fine too. 

Our program is set up with the main grad courses happening 6:00-8:45 at night so that people who work can do both without much interference. There are some rules about financial assistance, but if you're enrolled in 2 grad level courses, you're considered full time. That should be pretty standard across the CSU's.

As for more successful applicants, it sounds like the main problem is that you've been doing archaeo for a long time and want to switch tracks. Have you presented at conferences or tried to work with a sociocultural prof to get more experience on that side of things? These are also ways to show that, even though you do archaeo for your job, you are still very much involved and interested in sociocultural anthropology.

Wow, @GreenEyedTrombonist! That was a whole lot of very useful information. And rather reassuring as well! Thank you for that. It seems that a lot of these CSU Anthropology MAs don't separate the programs of Arch and SocioCult by name, but some do have different tracks and you have to choose one. I had thought about the possibility of somehow integrating archaeology into a thesis that also addressed Sociocultural issues in an interdisciplinary way, so that's definitely something I will continue to think about too. Thank you for the suggestions! 

2 hours ago, epi_gene said:

@Potatoes=Love I called them last week, they really do seem swamped -- @museum_geekmight be why you haven't heard back yet

@youinreverse I saw from their list of current PhD students that the program ran long. I'm not sure what to make of it though... any thoughts? 

well, that really depends. up to 10 years for a PhD is extremely long in my opinion. I was accepted into a program that has a 5 year track which is something much more suited to my wants. however, it depends on what you wish to research and your POI. i might be willing to forego a shorter track and spend extra time at an institution if i was able to work with say, margaret schoeninger. if everything else is a perfect fit and you secure a good chunk of funding, i'd definitely say don't rule it out based only on that fact. while it is something to consider, your progress will also have a lot to do with factors solely related to you. your specific project, years you need to be in the field, labwork/analyzing, and of course how fast you're able to churn out a dissertation. 

4 hours ago, Konstantine said:

Wow, @GreenEyedTrombonist! That was a whole lot of very useful information. And rather reassuring as well! Thank you for that. It seems that a lot of these CSU Anthropology MAs don't separate the programs of Arch and SocioCult by name, but some do have different tracks and you have to choose one. I had thought about the possibility of somehow integrating archaeology into a thesis that also addressed Sociocultural issues in an interdisciplinary way, so that's definitely something I will continue to think about too. Thank you for the suggestions! 

I agree with the advice @GreenEyedTrombonist gave you. I got my MA at a university where all grad students were required to take courses in all of the subdisciplines of anthropology (and encouraged to take courses in other departments on campus), and one result was that interdisciplinary theses were quite common. I would definitely reach out to/investigate your favorite departments and see if they foster that kind of environment. I know a cultural anthropology PhD who got their BA and MA in archaeology. It could happen. :)

14 hours ago, Konstantine said:

I seem to be at a bit of a crossroads in my academic life here. As this application season comes to a close and I more than likely will not be admitted to any PhD programs for a 2nd cycle, I am considering what to do next. 

Most of my background in Anthropology is within Archaeology. I have an interdisciplinary MA that had a variety of grad courses relating to the society and culture of the region I am interested in doing research on, but as far as direct Sociocultural Anthropology courses, they are all relegated to my Undergrad years. I have a lot of experience in Archaeology as a whole though. I've done multiple excavations abroad, an archaeological internship at a prestigious research institute, and years of employment in the Cultural Resource Management industry as a Field Archaeologist. My company would love for me to become a certified Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA), but in order to do so, I need to have designed an archaeological study and done substantive data analysis on it/written a thesis. So, on the one hand, if I apply to Archaeology MA programs at CSU schools here and work part time while I finish it, I can continue my career in CRM and maybe after that continue to PhD in Archaeology. It's not that I don't enjoy this field, I just have a lot more of a passion for Sociocultural and feel like there are ways in which my research could actually effect positive change.

So my other option is to instead pursue Sociocultural Anthropology MA programs here at CSUs instead. That way, I can expand my Sociocultural knowledge and write a thesis related to what I hope to eventually continue in my PhD afterward. 

I guess there are two big questions I have:

1) Is it possible to get any funding at all for an MA at a CSU? And if so, does doing the program part time nullify that?

2) Is it possible to commute to an institution where you are doing an MA if you're working outside the area? Obviously I would be part time if I was doing that, but I'm curious if it's even feasible.

3) I am trying to be practical as well as follow my interests here. Are either Archaeology or Sociocultural Anthropology more successful as MA or PhD graduates? Is this a known reality that I'm not aware of, that one does much better or has a much easier time being admitted to PhDs?

Any advice, guidance, or experience you all have on this would be helpful! Thank you!

I was just admitted to a PhD program in Sociocultural, but a lot of my research background has been in archaeology. I finished my undergraduate degree fairly recently, and it was in general anthropology, and I do not have a Masters. Over the past few years, knowing that I wanted to focus on cultural anthropology, I kind of had to get more creative in the ways I gained research experience in that subdiscipline, and it involved a lot of interdisciplinary work.

For example, I did a study abroad program outside my major during college because I knew it would involve more hands-on fieldwork. I ended up participating in a geography/sustainability study abroad program in Peru, where I was able to work with indigenous communities to study the impact of tourism and new infrastructure on their local environment and livelihoods. It wasn't an anthropology course, but it provided me with a really significant amount of experience in ethnographic fieldwork that I don't think I would have gotten through another program and certainly not in the classroom. Even if you're not currently in school, there are programs to research abroad out there that can be really helpful in gaining experience in the field and figuring out exactly what your interests within sociocultural anthropology are. You might consider checking out a "continuing education" certificate program with a particular focus related to your cultural anthro interests, or if you're really unsure of what it is you want to focus on, maybe even consider doing the Peace Corps in the area that you want to research in--a lot of cultural anthropology people do that before going to grad school. 

In regard to making your archaeology experience fit with your current interests in cultural anthropology, I think it's really important in an SOP and on a resume or CV to emphasize how that background informs your current research focus. My proposed research focuses on the impact of non-profit women's cooperatives on traditional ceramic production in a specific community in Honduras, and how these changes influence social roles and environment. My previous experience in archaeology, specifically in ceramic classification, production, and chronology, certainly played a role in how I developed my research questions, and in my application materials I really tried to explain that.

Obviously I don't know exactly what your interests in cultural anthro are, but for me, my research focus is certainly informed by my archaeology background. Also, it's important to remember that a lot of people who enter anthropology graduate programs (esp. in cultural I think) may be coming from completely unrelated fields. In the end I think it's about how you explain your research experience and education background and the ways those things have influenced your current interests.

Just received my rejection from Boston. At this point, I'm expecting rejection from Boulder as well since I haven't heard anything other than "you'll get a letter in the mail later this week" -- doesn't sound promising. 

BOOOO. :wacko:

Accepted at Syracuse, Wisconsin, and New Mexico.  Rejected at UCSD, Notre Dame, Princeton, and UT Austin, and assuming rejections from Hopkins and Rice.  I'm currently wrapping up my interview weekend at UVA which I've really enjoyed so far, so fingers crossed I get an offer there!

1 hour ago, museum_geek said:

Accepted at Syracuse, Wisconsin, and New Mexico.  Rejected at UCSD, Notre Dame, Princeton, and UT Austin, and assuming rejections from Hopkins and Rice.  I'm currently wrapping up my interview weekend at UVA which I've really enjoyed so far, so fingers crossed I get an offer there!

Nice! That's a lot of acceptances, you're spoilt for choice! Glad we're being kept in the loop, and good luck with UVA! 

13 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Congratulations, you did great!!!!

On 2/25/2017 at 11:02 AM, frscsci said:

Any word from Harvard's human evolutionary bio program? or OSU?

I haven't heard officially from Harvard yet. But I called the department administrator and she told me she *thinks* a couple people have been interviewed, and that replies will start going out within the next two weeks. I'm starting to think things are slim for me on that front though, but best of luck to you!