Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Bschaefer

Fall 2017 Applicants

761 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, rkstahl said:

I would totally contact the admissions chair and ask for clarity. I have been in communication with them over the last couple of weeks and I was also notified via email of having made the second cut but without an offer to attend any colloquia. That said, I was interviewed and they did ask me at some point along the way if I was still interested in the program - I think this is to avoid investing energy/time/etc. in students who already know that they are definitely going somewhere else.

I have had candid conversations with faculty there, and they were fully aware that I had two other (very attractive) offers when they decided to offer me admission - was officially notified this morning. If CUNY is your top choice, tell them and start getting comfortable having frank discussions with them - you definitely won't hurt your chances by seeking clarity around a process that they readily admit is painful and sometime confusing so that you can mutually invest the next 7-9 years in each other. And, they know full well that if you're a strong enough candidate to make a second cut with them that you are likely to have multiple offers.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask more questions of me too! Good luck!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! At this point, I think attending the colloquia may be taking the place of an interview. I know one other person was also invited to attend, and both of us live in or around NYC. 

I agree that the questions concerning level of interest are intended to help them make their jobs easier by avoiding wasting time. So it does make sense to let them know that I have other offers and that I would still prefer to attend CUNY if possible. I suppose I was a little worried about coming across as someone who would need extra attention or hand-holding (not always attractive qualities in a student/advisee). On the other hand, I can see how asking these questions expresses my continued interest and ability to advocate for myself. I appreciate the push and support!

I contacted the admissions chair asking for clarification, updating him on my other offers, and reiterating that CUNY is my first choice. He responded that not everyone in the 2nd cut will be offered admission or waitlisted, that I am currently in the "mix" for admission with a possible fellowship, but that he won't be able to tell me definitively until next week. 

Congratulations on your admissions offers, and thank you once again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to a variety of PhD and masters programs this season. I only got into my last choice masters program and I'm trying to figure out whether I should go. I didn't get full funding, but I did get some. I'd definitely prefer to just got straight into a PhD program rather than get a masters first, but I'm thinking I may have a better chance to actually get into a PhD program if I have a masters. The program is an okay fit for me, but I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off just applying next season. I have a lot of archaeology and museum experience, but I'm applying for sociocultural programs. Any advice would be super appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mitchell1 said:

I applied to a variety of PhD and masters programs this season. I only got into my last choice masters program and I'm trying to figure out whether I should go. I didn't get full funding, but I did get some. I'd definitely prefer to just got straight into a PhD program rather than get a masters first, but I'm thinking I may have a better chance to actually get into a PhD program if I have a masters. The program is an okay fit for me, but I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off just applying next season. I have a lot of archaeology and museum experience, but I'm applying for sociocultural programs. Any advice would be super appreciated! 

I found that doing a masters really helped me figure out my specific interests. This is my second round applying to programs - and during my first round, I was only accepted into a masters. I'm glad I did it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MollyBee said:

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! At this point, I think attending the colloquia may be taking the place of an interview. I know one other person was also invited to attend, and both of us live in or around NYC. 

I agree that the questions concerning level of interest are intended to help them make their jobs easier by avoiding wasting time. So it does make sense to let them know that I have other offers and that I would still prefer to attend CUNY if possible. I suppose I was a little worried about coming across as someone who would need extra attention or hand-holding (not always attractive qualities in a student/advisee). On the other hand, I can see how asking these questions expresses my continued interest and ability to advocate for myself. I appreciate the push and support!

I contacted the admissions chair asking for clarification, updating him on my other offers, and reiterating that CUNY is my first choice. He responded that not everyone in the 2nd cut will be offered admission or waitlisted, that I am currently in the "mix" for admission with a possible fellowship, but that he won't be able to tell me definitively until next week. 

Congratulations on your admissions offers, and thank you once again! 

I applied to CUNY last year and was in a similar position. CUNY was originally my top choice; I had a skype interview with my POI, and then flew out to NYC (on my own dime) to attend the colloquium where I met a couple of faculty members, not on the admissions committee, with whom I had informal chats. Afterwards, I emailed my POI and told her that I loved the university and that it was my top choice. Unfortunately, I didn't hear anything for more than a month, even from my POI. By the time I received an email telling me my position on their wait-list, and asking me if I would come with a tuition-only fellowship, I had received a phenomenal, fully-funded offer elsewhere at a much higher ranked department with a much better fit.

Others who had been in the same position as me before told me that CUNY often makes last-minute, April 14th or 15th offers, and that if I really wanted to get in, I should wait until then. However, I was pretty disillusioned, and knew I didn't want to spend potentially up to 10 years (I know a few people who attended CUNY for anthropology who took ten years to finish, including a then-current grad student with whom I skyped) in a department with such poor communication. It was clear that the other offer was from a department that really wanted me: I interviewed with multiple professors there who were incredibly excited by my proposal and ideas; faculty responded to my emails, and one even offered to read my statement of purpose. They also have a quicker completion rate of 6 years, and an incredible job placement percentage. So when I finally received the wait-list email from CUNY, I had already made my decision. I wrote them an email back and requested they remove me from the wait-list; I was tired of being dragged through the mud.

I'm sure others have had better experiences with CUNY, and I know that every single candidate is different etc.--but from what you described it seems that you too may be in a muddy position.

Good luck with your visit and in making your decision! This is only my experience, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt?

Nope, in the same boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2017 at 8:06 PM, Mitchell1 said:

I applied to a variety of PhD and masters programs this season. I only got into my last choice masters program and I'm trying to figure out whether I should go. I didn't get full funding, but I did get some. I'd definitely prefer to just got straight into a PhD program rather than get a masters first, but I'm thinking I may have a better chance to actually get into a PhD program if I have a masters. The program is an okay fit for me, but I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off just applying next season. I have a lot of archaeology and museum experience, but I'm applying for sociocultural programs. Any advice would be super appreciated! 

I understand your dilemma.

I got accepted into a master program, however upon emailing the program director, he basically stated I did not receive any funding at all. I emailed him again and asked if there are other funds that can assist me, and he said once I arrive there, there are other options. But he did not go into details. >_< 

Like how much how I get? What kind of funds? Will the majority be loans? Too, many questions and very vague answers.

I have one last school to hear from, but odds are I am rejection (its my dream school). I was already rejected from my second choice school, so I gave up the idea of receiving any positive news from my dream school.

So, I am tempted to not take the offer from the school that accepted me. If I have no funding, how am I going to finance my education? I filled the FAFSA application, but it seems that was not even worth my time since I have to pay full.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mugi Mila said:

I understand your dilemma.

I got accepted into a master program, however upon emailing the program director, he basically stated I did not receive any funding at all. I emailed him again and asked if there are other funds that can assist me, and he said once I arrive there, there are other options. But he did not go into details. >_< 

Like how much how I get? What kind of funds? Will the majority be loans? Too, many questions and very vague answers.

I have one last school to hear from, but odds are I am rejection (its my dream school). I was already rejected from my second choice school, so I gave up the idea of receiving any positive news from my dream school.

So, I am tempted to not take the offer from the school that accepted me. If I have no funding, how am I going to finance my education? I filled the FAFSA application, but it seems that was not even worth my time since I have to pay full.

 

As someone who has an MA in anthropology, I have a few thoughts on this. I really, really benefited from getting an MA but I think those benefits apply in very specific circumstances. Firstly, my MA (health insurance and living stipend included) was fully paid for through an external scholarship (Fulbright).  Secondly, as an international student who had never studied in the US, it made me understand how American academia works, what it tends to reward/dismiss, and a better understanding of anthropology as a discipline at the grad school level. Thirdly, given my undergrad GPA was average at best, having a US MA degree from a 'big name' school, a solid grad school GPA, and recommendations from well-known academics in the discipline, all helped my case this PhD cycle. Most of the other people in my MA program consisted of either scholarship students like me, or those who didn't have to worry about money. Those who did have to worry about money had a tough time. So, to sum up: If you're going to have to pay through your nose and take out more loans, I would advise against it. Research/field experience in your intended area of interest is just a better way to go. PM me if you want more details! I understand I was very lucky and few people would get to do an MA in the same circumstances as I did. But from what you describe of your own situation, I just don't know if it's worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

^I second that. Every single grad student I've spoken to said that it's a really bad idea to take out loans for grad school (be it an MA or PhD) considering what the academic job market is like. I don't have an MA, but majored in my general field of interest so my scenario is admittedly different from those who want to switch from, say, archaeology to cultural. However, I have noticed the program that I am most likely going to attend has taken in a few people with BAs who haven't had field research and hell, haven't studied anthro either. It sounds like the most important aspect of the application is the statement of purpose. When I visited the aforementioned school last week, the prof who interviewed me told me point blank that he thought I would have quite a bit of work to do with respect to environmental anthro (my undergrad project was on labour, and I hadn't taken any envt anthro classes) but said that those things can be learned (i.e. you can read books and catch up). What they ultimately evaluate you on is your potential-- can you think creatively and critically? Do you have good ideas? This is where having an interesting project is key. I know some people disagree, but I thought the sample Duke SOPs were useful. What I drew from them was dedicating 80% of my SOP to fleshing out my project, and imbuing the rest of it with more personal info (e.g. why I appreciate anthro) to show that you have a personality. 

Edited by runningwithquills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mugi Mila Don't take out loans for an MA program, even if you plan on taking the MA as a terminal degree.  Without knowing the details of your situation, I would suggest taking some time research both external funding sources and programs with funding opportunities, and then reapplying next cycle with these things in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mugi Mila said:

I got accepted into a master program, however upon emailing the program director, he basically stated I did not receive any funding at all. I emailed him again and asked if there are other funds that can assist me, and he said once I arrive there, there are other options. But he did not go into details. >_< 

Like how much how I get? What kind of funds? Will the majority be loans? Too, many questions and very vague answers.

 

I think if they had great funding available for you, they would be forthcoming about it. If they evade your questions, I would assume the funding situation isn't great. Just my $0.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admission offered from UT Austin today! After two years of rejection I have been admitted to all 3 programs I applied to. Keep on keeping on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AnthropologyNRTCongratulations!! I might PM you at some point to chat about your process if that's okay? I'm ending my second round of applying now and haven't been fruitful. 

On that note ...anybody know how likely it is to get admitted off of waitlists? Trying to decide if I need to start looking for jobs... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AnthropologyNRT said:

Admission offered from UT Austin today! After two years of rejection I have been admitted to all 3 programs I applied to. Keep on keeping on!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Congratulations @AnthropologyNRT Are you leaning towards any school yet or still considering all options?

I'm pretty certain I am California bound. All three are amazing, so it is truly not easy to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all who have been accepted (anywhere) and especially to those accepted to their top choices. I'm really happy for you and wish you nothing but the best on your journey!

Does anyone know if the UChicago rejections are coming in waves? I see many rejections, but I haven't heard anything at all- no rejection, waitlist, etc. Same thing from MIT- just radio silent. Paranoia is settling in! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!! My POI is putting me in contact with some grad students from the school where I was accepted and I'm wondering what sorts of questions I should ask them? I'm going to be asking about funding, but I want to make sure that I get all of the information I need to make an informed decision. Does anyone have any questions they would ask/have asked?

Edited by Mitchell1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, striped said:

Congrats to all who have been accepted (anywhere) and especially to those accepted to their top choices. I'm really happy for you and wish you nothing but the best on your journey!

Does anyone know if the UChicago rejections are coming in waves? I see many rejections, but I haven't heard anything at all- no rejection, waitlist, etc. Same thing from MIT- just radio silent. Paranoia is settling in! 

I'm in the same situation with UChicago, but I do know that someone posted on the results page several weeks ago saying they called the admissions office to follow up after interviewing, and they were told accepted applicants had already been notified and there was "no waitlist." I would be surprised if any of us who didn't interview got accepted, but I would also be surprised if there were "no waitlist," unless all of the admitted students accepted their offers immediately.

Also, I remember reading that in previous application cycles (like almost every year) there are students who are not admitted to the PhD program in Anthro, but are instead offered admission into the MAPSS program (MA Program in Social Sciences) at UChicago, and there seems to always be a big debate about the pros and cons of that particular program.

At this point I'm anticipating a rejection from UChicago, but ya never know! It's not over til' it's over, so don't lose hope yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitchell1 said:

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!! My POI is putting me in contact with some grad students from the school where I was accepted and I'm wondering what sorts of questions I should ask them? I'm going to be asking about funding, but I want to make sure that I get all of the information I need to make an informed decision. Does anyone have any questions they would ask/have asked?

I've done two campus visits so far and have found that grad students are a great source of information.  I've asked about summer research funding, conference travel, how the program handles prepping for quals, language training, etc.  It's also a good idea to ask them about the area - cost of living, areas to check out/avoid, good/bad places to rent, cohort cohesion and collegiality of the dept in general (though this is easier to glean from observation during a visit than from an email/phone call).  I think you can learn a lot about the minutiae of life in a specific department by talking to grad students - I hope they're able to help you out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hantoo Thanks for your insights! I just don't understand why they won't reject me already. It seems like a good number of people have received rejections and I don't see the logic in not rejecting me alongside those other people. 

& Thanks also for the positivity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hantoo said:

Also, I remember reading that in previous application cycles (like almost every year) there are students who are not admitted to the PhD program in Anthro, but are instead offered admission into the MAPSS program (MA Program in Social Sciences) at UChicago, and there seems to always be a big debate about the pros and cons of that particular program.

@hantoo this happened to me when I applied Fall of 2015. I ended up doing MAPSS and am REALLY glad that I did -- I think it has a lot of benefits, including being able to study whatever you want and take whatever classes you want. I think the only downside is the money, but if you petition they end up giving you a scholarship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, hantoo said:

Also, I remember reading that in previous application cycles (like almost every year) there are students who are not admitted to the PhD program in Anthro, but are instead offered admission into the MAPSS program (MA Program in Social Sciences) at UChicago, and there seems to always be a big debate about the pros and cons of that particular program.

17 hours ago, suavesana said:

@hantoo this happened to me when I applied Fall of 2015. I ended up doing MAPSS and am REALLY glad that I did -- I think it has a lot of benefits, including being able to study whatever you want and take whatever classes you want. I think the only downside is the money, but if you petition they end up giving you a scholarship. 

This just happened to me -- rejected form PhD but admitted to MAPSS with a 2/3 scholarship. Can you guys point me to good threads or other sources to help with this decision? If I can take a diverse range of classes for a year and then get placed into a PhD program as basically a 2nd year student, that could be great. But I doubt it's that simple. My gut feeling is to decline and wait for admission into the PD programs I want, whether I get accepted somewhere this cycle or have to wait until next cycle.

Edited by DancinFool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DancinFool said:

This just happened to me -- rejected form PhD but admitted to MAPSS with a 2/3 scholarship. Can you guys point me to good threads or other sources to help with this decision? If I can take a diverse range of classes for a year and then get placed into a PhD program as basically a 2nd year student, that could be great. But I doubt it's that simple. My gut feeling is to decline and wait for admission into the PD programs I want, whether I get accepted somewhere this cycle or have to wait until next cycle.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about MAPSS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DancinFool said:

This just happened to me -- rejected form PhD but admitted to MAPSS with a 2/3 scholarship. Can you guys point me to good threads or other sources to help with this decision? If I can take a diverse range of classes for a year and then get placed into a PhD program as basically a 2nd year student, that could be great. But I doubt it's that simple. My gut feeling is to decline and wait for admission into the PD programs I want, whether I get accepted somewhere this cycle or have to wait until next cycle.

Almost laughed out loud when this exact scenario happened to me this morning after having posted about it yesterday---I actually do have a friend in MAPSS right now and I texted her immediately after receiving the offer to ask her some questions. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know the advice she shared with me! Obviously@suavesana will have great advice for you as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now