How Do I Know What Schools are Reasonable to Get Into?

KruMaew

Hi there,

So I plan to start the application process over the next few months to get into an MSW program for Fall '17. I'm particularly interested in more of a clinical track, but am worried to put myself in a box because I'm also interested in macro, international work and some community-based work. 

My main question is, how can we figure out what schools are reasonable to get accepted to? I finished undergrad in 2013 (BS in Psychology), and have been living abroad in Thailand for the past 2 and a half years (I taught English for a year and a half, and have been working at an organization that trains and places teachers into schools for the last year). My GPA from undergrad is 3.89, so I'm not too concerned about that, but I was a two-time transfer student in undergrad and switched majors many times, ultimately graduating from a university with a pretty average reputation. I also don't have a whole lot of direct experience working in a social service field, although I think I've gained many transferrable skills here in Thailand. My current job includes mentoring and supporting new teachers in Thailand, and is what has led me to be sure that clinical social work is the right path for me. I think I will have pretty strong letters of recommendations, 1 from an old ethics professor and 2 more from bosses here in Thailand.

I'm not quite sure how to determine which schools would be a stretch, and which schools would be easier. I'm from Ann Arbor, so of course UofM would be an obvious choice, but I've also looked at schools in NYC (NYU, Fordham, Hunter, Columbia), and University of Denver as potential options. I also realize I need to spend some more time researching which schools have stronger clinical vs. research-based programs.

Does anyone have any useful input? Am I overthinking or overshooting my expectations? Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am really interested to see the response with this. Not too hijack the discussion, but I have had a hard time placing what schools "will be reasonable to apply to" based off of my experience as well.

Wondering what macro level considerations exist for top level graduate MSW programs?

Hi,

I definitely don't have enough knowledge about various schools to answer your question in its entirety, but I just wanted to give you my two cents regarding Hunter, where I am currently a student.  The student body at Hunter is extremely diverse and there is a really wide variety of educational backgrounds, work experience, volunteer experience, etc.  There are people there (myself included) who had very little experience (paid or volunteer) in social service.  Some people are quite young, some are older and looking at a second (or third career).  I guess my point is that based on what you've said about yourself I don't see a reason why you couldn't get in.  I definitely don't think it would be "overshooting".

I will mention that when you apply to Hunter you have to declare a track, so you would have to choose between clinical, community organizing or organizational leadership.  You are required to take both clinical and policy classes, however, and you have a couple of electives so you can take classes that cover different areas despite being committed to one track.

Hope this helps in some way.